Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Confirmed by Elon. Bjørn must be Xstatic!

Bjørn Nyland (@BjornNyland)
8/7/15, 9:04 PM
@elonmusk Did I win the @TeslaMotors referral competition in EU or is it not confirmed yet? pic.twitter.com/2ubMshgDLL

Elon Musk (@elonmusk)
8/8/15, 9:25 AM
@BjornNyland Provided all ten take delivery, you have indeed!

LOL

Actually Elon threw in the delivery caveat. By that logic the contest goes on for 3-4 months. Björn can't bank an 11th or 12th referral just in case someone backs out. Then what?

But I'm confident this will sort itself out & Björn will get a Founders Series Model X.

This easily solved, as others have pointed out, by letting him refer more, even if he is capped at the $10,000/€10,000/£10,000 or whatever the equivalent is for his area...

Since Musk has already responded to a Tweet from Bjorn, and mentioned the fact that all ten must take delivery, Bjorn should follow up with a tweet directed at Musk along the lines of "Can I refer a few extra people, just to be safe, only getting the referral bonus for the first ten?"

I think there is probably a pretty good chance Musk would respond, and any response other than "Sure. Thanks!" doesn't look too good.

Right now I think this would be Bjorn's best chance to insure his win.

Last edited:
I'm an unabashed Bjørn fan. He was promoting brand awareness for a while before 'hot wifey' (her name is Ammery) started riding along and appeared on the videos.
He uses his personal car to make deliveries, arranged by an online service and of course he uses Superchargers for the time factor, not primarily to help the bottom line. This is universally accepted because he's exposed the brand and concept to his customers, educated thousands via YouTube on how to overnight in a Model S, the effect of cold on range, and myriad other real-world facts about the Tesla and the EV concept, without varnish, without spin. Yeah he influenced my purchase too!

In the U.S., some owners take their personal car out and pick up passengers thru an arrangement with online services like Uber, fostering awareness of the brand and the EV concept to several (up to dozens a day?) passengers who get to feel the no-nonsense performance of the car and have their questions directly answered by a real owner. Some have their first Tesla exposure of any kind in an Uber, and may get set upon the road to purchase...
By contrast with the universally positive attitude towards Bjørn (and he deserves it), the idea of Uber-stickered cars charging at a Tesla Supercharger (because it gets them back on the road faster) is scorned by many TM, TMC and Reddit forum participants and viewed as a Problem that Needs a Solution to Prevent It. And their case is different from Bjørn's perfectly acceptable SC use on paid deliveries because... because...
...I guess the Hot Wifey Factor is more pertinent than I thought.

Bjorn should follow up with a question directed at Musk along the lines of "Can I refer a few extra people, just to be safe, only getting the referral bonus for the first ten?"

I'd be in support of Bjørn getting a Thailand-based MyTesla account to begin accumulating referrals in Asia to go over 10 without any software re-coding needed. Surprised no one has said this yet!

I'd be in support of Bjørn getting a Thailand-based MyTesla account to begin accumulating referrals in Asia to go over 10 without any software re-coding needed. Surprised no one has said this yet!

I think the worst thing Bjorn could do is something that might make it look like he is trying to game the system, and thus risk being disqualified.

Musk has publicly acknowledged him at this point. There shouldn't be any resaon for Tesla to be unwilling to allow him to refer a few more people, for insurance purposes. He just needs to get Tesla to OK it.

North America is going to be a mess if Tesla doesn't fix the problem. The race there is very close. The problem is, the competition continues until 10 people take delivery but Tesla stops the code when 10 people place orders. Here is a possible scenario:

20 Sep 2015: Peter and Kevin reach 10 referrals. Their code stops working. Both have more buyers who would like to use their code but the code doesn't work anymore. This was confirmed here.
20 Oct 2015: Joe completes 10 orders in third place.
10 Nov 2015: Joe's buyers complete 10 deliveries. Joe wins. Peter had 1 buyer who couldn't finance. Kevin had one buyer who refused delivery because paint problems. I can see why this could end up in court. I described the solution here.

Screenshot shows North America on 8 Aug 2015.

UrHd92rl.png

It's a contest and Tesla decides who wins. What's the problem?

I understand the point Matteo is making.

Cutting off the referrals at 10 for the people going for the big prize introduces randomness into the contest for no good reason. If Tesla wanted to make the contest somewhat random they could have said all people in a region who reach ten referrals will be entered into a random drawing for the car, to be held during the Gigafactory opening party. But they didn't. They said the winner would be the first person to reach ten referrals, with the stipulation that all ten people actually take delivery. The "take delivery" part is largely outside the control of the referrer, though clearly it is a condition that must be met. But there is no reason not to allow referrals over and above the ten, without additional payment on those referrals, with them only counting towards making sure the "first to ten" actually gets his or her ten deliveries. All that would do is eliminate the randomness that Tesla did not intend to be part of the contest.

Tesla could still make this change, and I hope that they will, For Bjorn's sake, and for the sake of others who reach 10 referrals, but make additional referrals.

Why not make so that from referral 11 and onwards there's only the $1000/10000NOK credit for the buyer, but not for the referrer?

That'd also discourage the referrer from passing on the credit, if that's deemed inappropriate.

It'd be interesting if there were a service where

a. if you're a prospective buyer, and in need of a referral link, you are issued a randomly-selected one just by visiting the home page of the site.

b. if you're an owner, you could in one quick form add your referral URL and your email address to a database which would then alert you if your URL was given out.

I know, it would probably violate every rule of the contest or at least veer away from the intent of the contest, but it'd be a handy way to distribute referrals more widely, to the benefit of Tesla, new buyers, and existing owners, without any of the undesirable issues like feeling tacky w/ friends & family.

Ok, teflon suit is on, you can attack this idea now.

It'd be interesting if there were a service where

a. if you're a prospective buyer, and in need of a referral link, you are issued a randomly-selected one just by visiting the home page of the site.

b. if you're an owner, you could in one quick form add your referral URL and your email address to a database which would then alert you if your URL was given out.

I know, it would probably violate every rule of the contest or at least veer away from the intent of the contest, but it'd be a handy way to distribute referrals more widely, to the benefit of Tesla, new buyers, and existing owners, without any of the undesirable issues like feeling tacky w/ friends & family.

Ok, teflon suit is on, you can attack this idea now.

Remember to zip up the teflon suit. This ideas nullifies the whole point of the program (at least the way I understand it): owners ACTIVELY selling the car.

My CHAdeMO pitch:

PM for my code.
Why? This will save a buyer $1,000.00 plus I will use my credit to order two CHAdeMO adapters and ship one to the buyer using the referral code.

Should I be favored with more than one referral, edit: doing away with this qualification I'll buy two more CHAdeMO adapters with each discount and give one to the buyer, and station one at a Charger in an under-SuperCharged area or travel corridor in the U.S. (My town is well surrounded now, so they won't be local to me)
This is calculated to benefit traveling Tesla owners.

For myself, I simply would love to earn a visit to the GigaFactory!

I am amending the above CHAdeMO pitch.

I don't need a CHAdeMO for myself, or an LTE upgrade, I have decided. So the bold text above should read "ship one adapter to the buyer, and donate one to a public CHAdeMO host for free use by Tesla owners."

This means starting with the first referral code and at least to #4. We're not aiming for the North America Free X here obviously, but maybe the idea will catch on.

Should a buyer send for my code and it gets used, Rouses Market in New Orleans will be the first recipient of a Destination CHAdeMO, because they are free of cost and available 24/7. It will be like a Supercharger Jr. and alleviate any concerns about getting back to Baton Rouge.

Looking at the "Southern Supercharging Gap Of Doom," NE TX/Arkansas/Tennessee, and also I-10 thru the desert, for the next donation locations, should this offer be accepted two or three times. Rouses just impressed me greatly with their locale, policies and super PlugShare reviews.

If you're on board with this way of leveraging Tesla's generosity and amplifying it, PM for my referral code and pass it forward to someone who's in the market. Or just do something similar with yours!

Thanks for reading.

Offer void if Tesla Motors decides this goes against the spirit of the promotion and does not honor the owner credit as offered.

Last edited:
Thanks so much to those that answered my "who's Bjorn" question. I was silly and forgot to subscribe to the topic, so I thought my Q was ignored.

I see now why he's beloved. Please understand I'm not a big youtube fan, so it didn't occur to me to look for other videos of his. I just saw the one where he basically says, "yo, give me a car" and was confused why so many were saying, "sure, here you go". But now I get it. Realize I wasn't knocking the guy... was genuinely confused and curious. I'm not an idiot, I was certain there was a good reason for the fan base! I just didn't know what it was.

This video you guys pointed me to may actually have convinced me not to cancel my order (which I decided this morning I was going to do). My 3rd biggest "cons" reason for not buying the car was limited cargo space. That image with it loaded full of boxes... well... perhaps not that limited :) (OK, this time I'm subscribing).

ps. congrats Bjorn. And yes, Tesla should make it so you can pad your referrals because the likelihood of ANYONE going 10-for-10 in any time-frame is near impossible without some gaming going on. There's no way you get 10 people - largely strangers - to all say they'll do it and have them all do it. Heck, I'd say even if a moviestar got 10 moviestar friends to sign up there'd still be one that flaked out.

Then again, perhaps this was Tesla's game? Maybe it was never intended to have a winner. I mean really, that's a pretty ludicrous (pun semi-intended) prize to be handing out. The rules were clearly set, so if a possible intended outcome was "no winner" then maybe it is fair, I don't know.

This video you guys pointed me to may actually have convinced me not to cancel my order (which I decided this morning I was going to do). My 3rd biggest "cons" reason for not buying the car was limited cargo space. That image with it loaded full of boxes... well... perhaps not that limited :) (OK, this time I'm subscribing).

TELSA! Are you listening? Please add one more referral to Bjørn just in case someone of the ten do cancel their order. This is one more sale secured by Bjørn, within the referral program period, and it is secured because of the referral program. :)

TELSA! Are you listening? Please add one more referral to Bjørn just in case someone of the ten do cancel their order. This is one more sale secured by Bjørn, within the referral program period, and it is secured because of the referral program. :)
I didn't really think about it that way, but you're 100% right. i wouldn't have seen this thread or learned of Bjorn if it weren't for the program, and I was pretty sure I was canceling my order before viewing his video (and I'm still watching, and my % chance is getting better in favor of keeping). I've now seen his "sleeping in a Tesla" video and I'm more sold.

I absolutely agree that if I buy this car, it is due to Bjorn's efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.