Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that some of the prize values were $1 because a regular customer couldn't buy them. Ex. All the signed items.

Yeah, I'd like to see you (someone) try that argument with an auditor!

"Yessiree -- this PW2 in my garage is exactly the same as the ones selling for $6000+ on Tesla's website.. the only difference is they're painted red and signed, so therefore, I'm valuing it at just $1".

Maybe if you really hate Musk and have a proven history of consistently shorting the stock, then perhaps you could argue that having Elon's signature on it seriously devalues it. But then again, if that's who you are.....then why the hell were you referring people to buy a Tesla vehicle in the first place :)

It would be nice for them to continue actually delivering the Powerwalls. I wonder how many more years will pass before all the Founder Series are actually delivered (I'm getting close to 2.5 years since "accepting" the reward via email).

I have a scheduled install for the 30th for two founders series powerwalls. There was a delay in the process due to...as they claim...a back and forth with the city on permitting coinciding with a huge influx of orders from the Nor cal fire/outage stuff. This was all after they contacted me to start the process, then a few months of nothing.

At any rate I guess I’ll see how it all goes in 2.5 weeks.

Got my Referral Founder’s Powerwall 2 installed on 10/22/18!

9C4C730B-6B5D-45EC-AEE7-4B35D07DB4B3.jpeg
6933CF74-F71A-4531-9108-8E9B2EB507BF.jpeg

Also had a Solar System 1 installed the same day!

DD078F3C-0E58-48D7-BB8B-B3EB38FAD7C1.jpeg

24F38C7F-48DC-4F67-85F6-7BAFDDFBB5B9.jpeg

2E749F13-1493-460D-8F9E-D72CDD6C6BCC.jpeg

Did you ever get a 1099?
Sorry.
Oops that was a typo.
Installed in October 2019
I did have to complete a text document of some sort in the process I believe it was a W9.
Tried desperately to get someone to provide me with the value for tax purposes with no success.
If I do get a 1099, I will post here.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I wasn’t really that familiar with what a W-9 was so I looked it up on Wikipedia. Basically it never gets sent to the IRS it’s just used as an internal record of a tax ID so that the 1099 can be Issued if deemed necessary.

Form W-9 (officially, the "Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification")[1]is used in the United States income tax system by a third party who must file an information return with the Internal Revenue Service(IRS).[2]It requests the name, address, and taxpayer identification information of a taxpayer (in the form of a Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number).
The form is never actually sent to the IRS, but is maintained by the individual who files the information return for verification purposes. The information on the Form W-9 and the payment made are reported on a Form 1099.[3]

Use cases

Business–contractor arrangement
Form W-9 is most commonly used in a business–contractor arrangement.[4]Businesses can use Form W-9 to request information from contractors they hire. When a business pays a contractor in excess of $600 during a tax year, the business is required to file Form 1099-MISC, a variant of Form 1099. To fill out Form 1099-MISC, the business may need to request information (such as address and Tax Identification Number) from the contractor, for which Form W-9 is used. The business does not send Form W-9 to the IRS.[5]

Agreed. But the problem here is exactly what value do you place on an award that's never been sold or has a specific market value? Do we use the price of a regular PW2 when the award was won? When it was installed? Now? Also, there is no MSRP for the Red Signed Founders version PW2 awards, so it's hard to just make up a value for tax purposes until Tesla sends us a 1099.

I can confirm the value of the founders series PW2 by Tesla accounting is $5,500USD. So that is likely what the value will be if/when 1099's come up.

If Tesla issues a 1099 to the IRS for the powerwall prizes, they also have to provide the taxpayer (you) with a copy of it, which shows the income that Tesla is saying you received for the prize. You can then use that number to report on your return. Its basically the same as the interest income 1099 that everyone gets from their bank.

All 1099s are supposed to be sent out by Jan 31st each year.

If Tesla issues a 1099 to the IRS for the powerwall prizes, they also have to provide the taxpayer (you) with a copy of it, which shows the income that Tesla is saying you received for the prize. You can then use that number to report on your return. Its basically the same as the interest income 1099 that everyone gets from their bank.

All 1099s are supposed to be sent out by Jan 31st each year.
Sounds like Tesla is several years behind on that paperwork thing :rolleyes: Busy building EVs :cool:

I'm going with the $5500 for my PW. But I may not get a 2019 1099 because my install isn't finished yet. I'm also thinking about claiming the credit on the $5500 value, since I'm also reporting the income for it too.

Claiming what credit? I don't think taxes work that way... you can claim a credit for something you actually paid for, but not something you got as an award and are only paying taxes on.

IOW, you don't get to claim a income tax deduction or credit on income.

Claiming what credit? I don't think taxes work that way... you can claim a credit for something you actually paid for, but not something you got as an award and are only paying taxes on.

IOW, you don't get to claim a income tax deduction or credit on income.

as I understand it, I can take the 2019 30% tax the excess installation cost above the $1,000 installation allowance so long as it was installed concurrently with a solar system. In my case +$2,000

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Status
Not open for further replies.