Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beg to differ. There are people on this forum trying to decide right now if they want an S or an X.
Yep, me for one. I'm waiting to see what the X really looks like, what new/unique features it has, and how much/how far it can tow. Then I'll decide if I order an X and sell my current tow vehicle, or keep the truck, roll the deposit onto a 3 (I prefer a smaller car anyway) and buy a CPO S for the interim.

I have mixed emotions on the referral program, I have always promoted the brand to everyone I meet that wants info. If you love the company and car for what it is you do not need compensation to sell or buy one. I hope no one goes over the top on trying to make some money on having someone buy a Tesla. Personally will continue my promotion of the company and its mission and really do not want compensation. It feels to much like a game show and to me cheapens the brand, I hope after October were are done with it.

I replied to the email I received:

I’m not so sure about this one. I show my car at car shows and other events. I’ve been to over fifty in the last 2+ years and I think over a thousand people have sat in the driver’s seat and received the cook’s tour. I know some have later purchased the car, and suspect quite a few others have also put a Model S in their driveway. However, giving a monetary reward reduces the impact of an owner's recommendation because the impression is now that they are recommending to get something, not because it’s a great car.

I’d much rather have at least one of the following:

1. Each tire display it’s pressure the way it is in other cars.

2. Not have to wait 20 minutes for 3G to connect after being in an “out of range” area. (broken in 6.2)

3. “Favourites” fixed for shuffle and repeat (It used to repeat, but that function was broken in 6.2).

4. The diagnostic screen display as read only.

Jerry

tire pressures!! agree! this is so stupid of Tesla!

Folks, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Tesla used to give out HPWCs to Roadster owners who referred someone else to buy a Roadster.

Furthermore, this led to folks donating the HPWCs that eventually formed the network of HPWCs in the West Coast that enabled longer distance travel?

So, for those that don't want to use the accessory credit/service credit or whatever, you can always do something like that.

As for individual tire pressure, agreed... We already get that on the Roadster, should do it on the S as well.

As someone who has come to the world of Tesla fairly recently and still has some saving to do before I get mine, I have to say Tesla owners are the best sales force in the automotive business. I've been researching a lot of cars over the last few months, and I have not seen such a high ratio of positive things said vs negative things said about any other car out there. I have also found Tesla owners far more generous than other car owners. I don't hold Tesla at fault for trying to leverage that into some more sales.

The Tesla is not free of complaints, but most of the complaints I see are about delays of features like autopilot, rather than problems people have had with the car. Though a few people have had problems, I think the percentage is lower than most cars out there.

I probably won't have the funds together to buy my car while this incentive is going, but if there is a similar incentive going when I finally buy my car, I will be happy to give someone the referral credit.

Folks, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Tesla used to give out HPWCs to Roadster owners who referred someone else to buy a Roadster.

Furthermore, this led to folks donating the HPWCs that eventually formed the network of HPWCs in the West Coast that enabled longer distance travel?

So, for those that don't want to use the accessory credit/service credit or whatever, you can always do something like that.

You're exactly right. Thanks for bringing that up.

Doesn't this imply that sales are slow? If sales were at or above expectations, there would be no reason to do this.
no. Or not only anyway.
It can also suggest that supply may exceed demand. While demand may still be on projections and increasing, supply could be getting ramped up even more also. this relatively low cost promotion can increase demand to match increased supply.

Just a cautionary note for the winner of the free Model X Founder's Edition if a resident of the United States: The car really ain't gonna be free. There is that niggling issue of the federal and state income taxes that must be paid on the fair market value (likely Manufacturer's Retail Price from the design studio plus any applicable sales tax.) The winner could very well wind up paying nearly half of the value of the car in taxes if his tax brackets are high enough.

So, start saving your money now!

Just a cautionary note for the winner of the free Model X Founder's Edition if a resident of the United States: The car really ain't gonna be free. There is that niggling issue of the federal and state income taxes that must be paid on the fair market value (likely Manufacturer's Retail Price from the design studio plus any applicable sales tax.) The winner could very well wind up paying nearly half of the value of the car in taxes if his tax brackets are high enough.

Good advice, but if the winner were already planning a purchase, it represents a pretty nice savings.

There's no fine print yet, but TM might gross-up the winnings to account for the taxes.

Yes, I thought about that with that $200/ticket raffle. Winning it would have been $200+taxes, but taxes would still make it comfortably the most expensive car I'd bought. You do get the $7.5k tax credit though!

Two totally different cars with different utilities. When people comparison shop, they compare SUVs with SUVs and sedans with sedans. No one compares SUVs with a different class such as a coupe.

Beg to differ. There are people on this forum trying to decide right now if they want an S or an X.

i guess the people on this forum represents all buyers..

No, the people on this forum do not represent all buyers. But when you say no one cross shops between a sedan and SUV, and people here say they are doing exactly that, then it's a valid point to bring up. In my world, anyway.

That's one interpretation. Another (mine) is that with the X introduction imminent, there is a very real possibility that 2015 Q4 Model S sales could be cannibalized by people seeing the X and deciding to get in line for a 2016 delivery. That would make this a very positive proactive move to manage the business, before there is a problem.

Note that this incentive doesn't apply if you sell a Model X, only a Model S. It also ends Oct 31st, meaning placed orders that can be delivered before EOY. This also works in the states where Tesla cannot legally conduct sales activities.

Brilliant, imo.

+1 ; I very much agree. I'll add that it is really important for Tesla to sustain strong demand for the S in the fourth quarter as gross margins on the S are close to 30% whereas initial gross margins on the X will be low. I've been concerned about this possible mix issue for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.