Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Silicon Valley is filled with Teslas period. They are called "California Camry's" there.

The truth ... A Tesla in California does not get a second glance :cool:

Tesla Model S Jumps Curb, Climbs On Top Of Toyota Camry

upload_2017-2-8_20-32-30.png

With so few people here seeing referrals something is different. The possible conclusions I can think of are:

1) They are geographically limiting use so using a code from online isn't being credited
2) They are now delaying reporting a code use until the car is delivered
3) Tesla sales this quarter are waaay down from this time last year.
4) ?

It appears that they are no longer storing the cookie anymore? So you'd have to buy with your referral code on the spot. Can anyone else verify?

The cookies are fine. I use a Chrome extension called "EditThisCookie" which lets you go in and view and manipulate the cookies saved from any site. The cookie for tesla.com is simply named referral_code and is persistent for 18 months.

1) They are geographically limiting use so using a code from online isn't being credited

That still doesn't make any sense. The entire point is to use an online code and link they provide to get the referral credit in the Design Studio, which still works. There's no way they could possibly justify to an owner that a real friend of theirs who used their online referral code just lives too far away to give them referral credit.

2) They are now delaying reporting a code use until the car is delivered.

This is possible, but still doesn't add up. The referral page has counters for "Friends Referred", "Delivered" and "Cancelled". If Tesla was going to withhold the counters until the end of the program, why have these counters at all? It should just say "Total qualifying referrals will be posted on April 15th".

3) Tesla sales this quarter are waaay down from this time last year.

Always possible, but this can't be true to the tune that all of us have essentially no referrals half way into this quarter.

I'm a big fan of Hanlon's Razor -- "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity," or as another TMC member put it: "If it's a conspiracy or cock-up, go with cock-up every time".

My theory is that something is just broken with the referral counting system and hopefully they'll fix it before the end of the quarter (this has happened once before with the random counter resets).

Otherwise, if they really are not selling any cars online, it's going to be a bloodbath earnings call.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I just thought of another theory -- when people confirm their deals, Tesla is now asking them if they know the person who referred them, just as was on the Referral Award questionnaire that went out last month.

If the buyer says "no", they still get the $1000 credit, but the referring person does not get the referral credit.

But even that has problems for the referral program going forward. I don't think Tesla would shoot themselves in the foot like that. They're getting hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars are free advertising and marketing from people actively and aggressively pursuing the referral program, which I think is the point they wanted.

The entire program was started because Elon said it costs Tesla $2000 to acquire a customer. By toying with the referral program like this (if that's what they're doing), they're really going to put it all in jeopardy if a referring owner can only get credit for "real friends".

Yup, was the same with the first 2 rounds when the terms didn't clearly state that the deposit needs to become non-refundable within the program period, which takes 2 weeks from placing the order and means that any referrals made in the last 2 weeks of any program arr basically worthless.

Nobody at tesla knows anything about the specifics of the referral program, not even when you write to the dedicated email address.

Same this time. No one could tell me whether you can only get 8 referrals counting toward the "First to 20" prize or if additional referrals past 8 (have seen many accounts here of people getting more than the maximum amount for the round) count toward that as well. Kinda important to level the playing field and know if you even have a chance...

Last edited:
Got 10/9 Referrals last round (Someone cancelled 2 hrs before program end, so I lost out on 4 people that couldn't use my code because i had 10 leaving be 1 short to attend the next event #Frustrated ). Mines showing Nothing this round. Seems odd, especially considering the viewership I get.
Those cancellations can be frustrating. I actually had 4 cancellations last round. Two were before the program ended so I was able to get back up to 10...but then 2 more cancelled when the 100D was announced :(

I'm a bit confused about the "theory" of having to verify that you "know" the person. There are lots of people who are co-workers of my friends or friends of friends who would never had known about the program had I not promoted it. Some of the fence-sitters wouldn't have pulled the trigger w/out the $1k sweetening the deal. Isn't that the essence of networking? How is that a disqualifier?

I'm a bit confused about the "theory" of having to verify that you "know" the person. There are lots of people who are co-workers of my friends or friends of friends who would never had known about the program had I not promoted it. Some of the fence-sitters wouldn't have pulled the trigger w/out the $1k sweetening the deal. Isn't that the essence of networking? How is that a disqualifier?
I think people are just grasping at straws, trying to figure out why their referral counts are smaller than in previous referral programs. I don't think Tesla would make such a major change to the referral program without listing that requirement in the program details.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I think people are just grasping at straws, trying to figure out why their referral counts are smaller than in previous referral programs. I don't think Tesla would make such a major change to the referral program without listing that requirement in the program details.
how many referrals have you had this period.

I've been emailing tesla, a guy i contact in regards to the referral program, he said no changes have been made but did sent my questions to the program manager to see what is up with this round.

we are grasping at straw and guessing what has changed, but i am sure something has changed.

i went from 10 last round to 0 this round. normally by now i would have a few. i thought it was just me, but after posting, look at the amount of others who are seeing the same issues.

how many referrals have you had this period.

I've been emailing tesla, a guy i contact in regards to the referral program, he said no changes have been made but did sent my questions to the program manager to see what is up with this round.

we are grasping at straw and guessing what has changed, but i am sure something has changed.

i went from 10 last round to 0 this round. normally by now i would have a few. i thought it was just me, but after posting, look at the amount of others who are seeing the same issues.
Only 1 for me so far. It does seem a little lower than normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.