Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know if your referral code has been submitted and used? I'm trying to check online but no luck.

And if anyone needs one to use.....
Referral | Tesla

You can check your My Tesla page online, scroll down and you should see the referral section. Also on your phone app, they added a "treasure chest" button in the upper right hand corner on the home page.

Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: DA808EV
Would be interesting to see how many Tesla YouTube channels shut down if this happens. While there are several useful channels, there are a lot of channels that obviously exist only to get referrals and are full of "filler" videos. Oh, Elon tweeted something, time to make a video so I can push my link... A new OTA update with no newsworthy changes? Time for a 6-part series to pump that link...

I agree that there are definitely YouTubers that are doing it just for the referrals, and worse, they aren't making good content. But there are definitely quality channels out there that do a lot to help promote Tesla and/or help it Tesla Owners. I think every Tesla owner watch some of Bjorn's videos before deciding to buy a Tesla. I try my best to create quality videos that focus on topics that I was interested in when trying to decide if I was going to get a Tesla. I don't think people get the impression that my videos are just to get referrals. At least I hope not. I have gotten referrals through my YouTube channel, but it's not the reason why I do it.

I think the real problem is the people that use Google AdSense so that their link shows up as an add on Google search results. I'm also not a fan of people that are basically buying referrals by giving away some of the lower level prizes in return for referrals. I don't necessarily think those people are trying to do anything wrong. They probably feel like they're doing a good thing by giving back. But to me it comes off as buying referrals.

I think Tesla giving away a P100DL to the first person in each region to get 20 referrals this year caused a lot of people to try and game the system. Tesla could scale back the rewards so that people aren't as enticed to game the system. I do like that they finally are offering rewards for just 1 referral now. I always thought it was a little crappy that people had to get 2 referrals in a 3-4 month period in order to get a prize.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Really, so if a new buyer picks a heavily publicized referral code of say one of the guys who have Tesla videos on YouTube that buyer won't get free Supercharger if that code has been used five times -- and that's ok? And I see somone liked your comment. Wow.

wow a tad of a over reaction.
I did not criticize anyone for complaining, I had no negative view on the discussion.

I merely stated that for me personally my expectation from a referral code is the money discount, beyond that I consider whatever passing prize as a buyer to be a nice extra.

now as for your concern about overused code, well if in the process there is a lack of warning "Be aware this code has been used 5 times and thus if you proceed you will not be eligible for free supercharging" then sure that certainly sucks and should be addressed.
However I never commented on that as a issue, you constructed elements to the post that were not a factor.

If tesla do not already provide such a warning then tweet musk or something for one to be provided.

Now lets keep this discussion on target.

now as for your concern about overused code, well if in the process there is a lack of warning "Be aware this code has been used 5 times and thus if you proceed you will not be eligible for free supercharging" then sure that certainly sucks and should be addressed.
However I never commented on that as a issue, you constructed elements to the post that were not a factor.

If tesla do not already provide such a warning then tweet musk or something for one to be provided.
Once the referral limit for a link is reached, there has always been a message indicating there were no more referrals available via that link.

Reactions: boaterva

I suspect they have been quietly doing it which is why a lot of people with a lot of presence out there on the web haven't gotten many referrals since January.

I want to see some guidelines from Tesla on what constitutes "fair use". I've moderated a few forums and been on a couple of boards of physical world social groups. When the rules are left vague, it gives the moderators a lot of leeway, but it also doesn't leave those who are sanctioned knowing what rules they broke and it leaves the door open for moderator abuse.

If Tesla has invalidated someone's code, they should tell them why and tell them what they need to do to get it reactivated. Tell us where the boundaries of "fair use" are. That term could be interpreted many different ways.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Well, they made the change:

Please note that we may withhold awards where we believe customers are acting in bad faith or otherwise acting contrary to the intent of this program. To be clear, commercializing or otherwise selling referral codes is not appropriate, and we will not honor such codes. We cannot cover every nefarious scenario, nor will we attempt to, but we do promise to be fair and reasonable.

To:
Please note that we may withhold awards where we believe customers are acting in bad faith or otherwise acting contrary to the intent of this program. To be clear, commercializing, advertising, publishing, mass distributing or selling referral codes is not appropriate, and we will not honor such codes. We cannot cover every nefarious scenario, nor will we attempt to, but we do promise to be fair and reasonable.

Those are pretty broad terms. Discuss.

• Informative
Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
Tesla's intent was to sell more vehicles, I really doubt they care one way or another how the order book is filled. Creative fans find ways to line their pockets (or get goodies) and Tesla gets orders - beats pouring money into hard to measure branding campaigns and TV ads.

As long as those referral codes don't end up next to anything unsavory I am sure the marketing department (is that just Elon and the referral program staff?) is happy.
Of course no one is dumb enough to buy without a referral code. The sales staff will help them if they somehow are unaware. So these cheaters aren't bringing in buyers. They are thieves, no more, no less. Sounds like Elon is finally going to stop them.

I agree that there are definitely YouTubers that are doing it just for the referrals, and worse, they aren't making good content. But there are definitely quality channels out there that do a lot to help promote Tesla and/or help it Tesla Owners. I think every Tesla owner watch some of Bjorn's videos before deciding to buy a Tesla. I try my best to create quality videos that focus on topics that I was interested in when trying to decide if I was going to get a Tesla. I don't think people get the impression that my videos are just to get referrals. At least I hope not. I have gotten referrals through my YouTube channel, but it's not the reason why I do it.

I think the real problem is the people that use Google AdSense so that their link shows up as an add on Google search results. I'm also not a fan of people that are basically buying referrals by giving away some of the lower level prizes in return for referrals. I don't necessarily think those people are trying to do anything wrong. They probably feel like they're doing a good thing by giving back. But to me it comes off as buying referrals.

I think Tesla giving away a P100DL to the first person in each region to get 20 referrals this year caused a lot of people to try and game the system. Tesla could scale back the rewards so that people aren't as enticed to game the system. I do like that they finally are offering rewards for just 1 referral now. I always thought it was a little crappy that people had to get 2 referrals in a 3-4 month period in order to get a prize.

Just my two cents.
My two cents is Tesla has plenty of content available on the Internet. As for the "entrepreneurs" who pump out videos, they are all freeloaders, some worse than others. Use the Tesla content and let the YouTube stars find another career.

I'm kind of bummed that Virginia does not allow Tesla to award the referral prizes here. :( Otherwise, we'd have that cute kiddy model S to match Daddy's car! I'll still give out the code and share how cool my car is, though, even without the prizes. It's a great company selling great cars!

• Love
Reactions: bonnie
Of course no one is dumb enough to buy without a referral code. The sales staff will help them if they somehow are unaware. So these cheaters aren't bringing in buyers. They are thieves, no more, no less. Sounds like Elon is finally going to stop them.

I think this forum should encourage everyone to put their referral code in their sig. That way if someone comes here to look for information and found the person to be helpful and chose to buy a Tesla, they can chose to use that code. I think the same should apply to videos. I watched a lot of these videos on YouTube and there is clearly a distinction between useful videos sharing their own personal experiences with the cars (Bjion, Like Tesla) vs. others that simply regurgitate information readily available on the web.

Just got this e-mail and wasn't sure if this is new or an already existing policy:

Hi xxx, Thank you for your participation in the Tesla Referral Program. Every referral you make helps to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy, and we appreciate your support. The intent of the program is to provide owners with something special to give to their friends. As such, commercializing, advertising, publishing, mass distributing, or selling referral codes is not appropriate. We kindly ask that you remove your code from any broadly distributed channels. We will be deactivating any referral codes which do not comply with these guidelines. Thank you for your continued support and understanding. Best Regards, The Tesla Team"

Does this mean you can't advertise it on YT or put it in your signature on TMC?

Just got this e-mail and wasn't sure if this is new or an already existing policy:

Hi xxx, Thank you for your participation in the Tesla Referral Program. Every referral you make helps to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy, and we appreciate your support. The intent of the program is to provide owners with something special to give to their friends. As such, commercializing, advertising, publishing, mass distributing, or selling referral codes is not appropriate. We kindly ask that you remove your code from any broadly distributed channels. We will be deactivating any referral codes which do not comply with these guidelines. Thank you for your continued support and understanding. Best Regards, The Tesla Team"

Does this mean you can't advertise it on YT or put it in your signature on TMC?

Tesla did not ask me to nor did I receive this email but I decided to shutdown the Randomized Referral! at Tesla Referral Links. I agree with Elon that the referral should be a product of an individuals effort to persuade another to purchase a Tesla and thus should not be “randomly” solicited online. However, I believe that individuals who create videos, post informational blogs, and other useful information regarding their experience with their Tesla should be allowed to share their referral links online. That is how other referral services operate (i.e Amazon Affiliates).

It's a tough call. There are some people putting real and helpful stuff out there like Bjorn and some others, but there is also some stuff being put out there essentially as click bait to get people to use someone's referral code. On the surface, these look similar, you have to dig deeper to figure out whether they are good quality or not.

It's a tough call whether to allow any of these or not.

Reactions: MP3Mike
It's a tough call. There are some people putting real and helpful stuff out there like Bjorn and some others, but there is also some stuff being put out there essentially as click bait to get people to use someone's referral code. On the surface, these look similar, you have to dig deeper to figure out whether they are good quality or not.

It's a tough call whether to allow any of these or not.

I agree. But also remember that because Bjorn (for example) is producing great content, he also has over 40k subscribers to his channel. I suspect he's seeing some income from the videos ... so I'd guess that the people who are providing quality content are rewarded. The referral program has been a bonus, I'm sure. With 5 referrals that include supercharging to hand out to friends, I'm betting Bjorn will run out quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.