Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone having a problem with referral notifications not matching what you see in the app or on Tesla's site? I received a notification for a referral several days ago but that order never showed up. The name on the notification does match the first name of an order that was placed 4.5 months ago. A friend received a similar notification for a new order but he hasn't seen any new referral since the notification either.

Is anyone having a problem with referral notifications not matching what you see in the app or on Tesla's site? I received a notification for a referral several days ago but that order never showed up. The name on the notification does match the first name of an order that was placed 4.5 months ago. A friend received a similar notification for a new order but he hasn't seen any new referral since the notification either.

In the last few days I have received a number of notifications about new orders on my phone, which have just turned out to be new notifications for old orders. Probably some issue on Tesla's side.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I didn't suggest publishing PM me for a code. I said that someone wanting a code always have the option to ask for one. There is a spectrum here and I think most are saying it shouldn't be one extreme for another. Creating a post or a video for the sole purpose of giving out the code is distasteful but only being able to give out code to direct family and friends is too far in the opposite extreme. I and several others are suggesting and hoping that Tesla recognizes that many of us are simply enthusiasts and evangelists for their products. Folks like Bijon, Kim from Like Tesla, as well as many folks here have been more helpful to me when I was doing my reserch than any of my friends. There is a world of difference between using their codes vs some random person's.

I noticed wave of those 'PM me for a code' messages. So we remove those from forums and other media. Back to my question: How does new customer, who does not know the system or any Tesla owners, get the code?

Seems to me that somebody who didn't have time to think minor issues like this made a quick decision.

I'm going to read between the lines here. I suspect simply posting or adding your referral code to a list on reddit is distasteful to Tesla, as those lists aren't really benefiting, marketing, or promoting Tesla in any manner. But people with codes on actual beneficial user/owner generated content which does those things are being "allowed" (at least for now). Perhaps the watermark Tesla is using to send out the C&D letters.

I noticed wave of those 'PM me for a code' messages. So we remove those from forums and other media. Back to my question: How does new customer, who does not know the system or any Tesla owners, get the code?

Seems to me that somebody who didn't have time to think minor issues like this made a quick decision.

I was such a customer back in August of 2016. I didn't know about the program and my owner adviser didn't mention it either. It was out of sheer luck that I happen to come across a post in the Tesla forums that mentioned the program and I was still in the 7 day grace period between order and order confirmation. I quickly called my OA and asked him if I can still apply it and he said yes. At the time I didn't ask him why he didn't tell me about it in the first place. I was simply grateful I was getting a $1,000 off. Knowing what I know now I was pissed that my OA didn't tell me about the program. He wasn't obligated to give me a code but as an "adviser" I would have expected him to simply tell me such a program existed. Perhaps he was trained by Tesla not to mention it.

But I'm thinking about this now with Tesla's perspective. I think Tesla wanted to make this program more personal. A way for the referrer and the referee to bond between their mutual interest of the cars. What comes to mind is the really nice video Like Tesla made about their friend who originally brought knowledge of Tesla cars to them. You can watch it here if you haven't seen it,

Ok, not every referral is going to be this ideal :) I'm not sure it was a referral anyway since Kim referred to her friends as Tesla investors and not necessarily owners of their cars. But you get what I mean.

Now to your actual question.

How does a potential buyer learn about the program and get a code? Well hopefully they're doing their research on the web and also in the showroom. I think owner advisers should make the program know to all buyers? Why? Because if they buy the car and later find out, there is going to be really hurt feelings and ill will towards Tesla. This is counterproductive to Tesla. I also think forums like this should make the program known. YouTubers should make it known but the difference is not to broadcast codes. I've seen several folks here first post about something helpful but then mention, "btw, if I was helpful in helping you make a decision on buying a Tesla, PM me for a referral code that can save you $1,000 off your purchase...." I have yet to see Tesla object to this approach. I also think there's a world of difference between doing this as part of a normal post vs. a post DEDICATED to broadcasting a code. I will admit I was guilty of that in the past. What can I say? Monkey see monkey do.

Anyone having a problem like this:
1)In the mobile app, the loot box shows no referrals
2)On My Tesla website, the summary shows no referrals
3)If I click into "past referral programs", and select the March 16, 2017 - June 15, 2017 period it shows that I have a referral on 3/30/17 and that the car was delivered.

I don't know how it's possible for the detailed information to be correct, but the summary and loot box to not be counting it. Anyone know how Tesla will determine prize eligibility.

Anyone having a problem like this:
1)In the mobile app, the loot box shows no referrals
2)On My Tesla website, the summary shows no referrals
3)If I click into "past referral programs", and select the March 16, 2017 - June 15, 2017 period it shows that I have a referral on 3/30/17 and that the car was delivered.

I don't know how it's possible for the detailed information to be correct, but the summary and loot box to not be counting it. Anyone know how Tesla will determine prize eligibility.
The loot box and summary only show the current referral program which started 5/19/17 and goes through the end of the year. At least this is how my loot box and website summary are working.

Obviously the overlapping programs are causing some confusion.

Last edited:
The loot box and summary only show the current referral program. The March 16, 2017 - June 15, 2017 actually ended early on 5/19/17 so the referral you see there is from the previous program. Since the previous program ended early but the "past referral program" list shows the original end date, it will probably cause some confusion.
To my understanding it didn't necessarily end. They are over lapping till June 15. So if you get one today it will show a referral for both programs.

The loot box and summary only show the current referral program. The March 16, 2017 - June 15, 2017 actually ended early on 5/19/17 so the referral you see there is from the previous program. Since the previous program ended early but the "past referral program" list shows the original end date, it will probably cause some confusion.

Yes, but the terms of the current referral program state:
Related order must be placed between May 19, 2017 and December 31, 2017. Owners with one or more referrals in the previous phase between March 16, 2017 and May 19, 2017 will be eligible for both updated and previous phase awards between May 19, 2017 and June 15, 2017.

I bolded the important part. I would think that a 3/30 referral should show up in the current phase referral count if they are intending to give the current phase prizes to those folks.

To my understanding it didn't necessarily end.

Yeah, I worded that incorrectly about the previous program totally ending. Here's the official text:
Related order must be placed between May 19, 2017 and December 31, 2017. Owners with one or more referrals in the previous phase between March 16, 2017 and May 19, 2017 will be eligible for both updated and previous phase awards between May 19, 2017 and June 15, 2017

They are over lapping till June 15. So if you get one today it will show a referral for both programs.*
*Unless one already maxed out referrals on the previous program, in which case they will only show on the new program.

I still think the loot box and summary only show referrals for the new program. At least that's the case for me. Maybe my loot box and summary display differently since I maxed out on the previous program. Does anyone who did not max out on the previous program see the same referral listed for two different programs?

I updated my original post to try to avoid confusion.

Last edited:
I believe the software did not account for the special case. This change mid program was a direct reaction to Tesla's marketing needs (adding back Supercharging for life). So I believe both programs are in play as noted by the bolded text in TJtv's post. I don't no to what extent Tesla's mobile app's logic is baked into the native app's code and what part is being pulled in from the servers (i.e. via CodePush). If it is in the native code then an app update would be required. Given the previous program will end June 15th, Tesla may simply decide to forego the patch. They have much more important code to write :)

I wonder if anyone has hit the 20 referrals and won the car yet. The 1Q2017 program was limited to 8 referrals. The 2Q2017 program is limited to 9. The current one is limited to 5 so we could see a winner soon.

Going through the math, you must have maxed out on all three and not have more than 3 cancellations. The prize only comes after all 20 are delivered so it seems almost impossible to win given the level of cancellations I typically see.

I wonder if anyone has hit the 20 referrals and won the car yet. The 1Q2017 program was limited to 8 referrals. The 2Q2017 program is limited to 9. The current one is limited to 5 so we could see a winner soon.

Going through the math, you must have maxed out on all three and not have more than 3 cancellations. The prize only comes after all 20 are delivered so it seems almost impossible to win given the level of cancellations I typically see.

I hit 20 referrals on May 24th. I have asked Tesla if anyone else has hit 20 and I was told that they are compiling that data now and will get back with me.

I did have 7 CX throughout the programs, however they were early enough that I still maxed out. Some of the cancellations re-ordered and took delivery of the second order.

Thanks Erik

Status
Not open for further replies.