Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't ask, but I don't see why it wouldn't be. It's all still Tesla products.

For the $5500 (sorry to be so granular Hank!!) would they allow you to apply that to, say, maintenance plan, extended warranty, both? Or transfer that to a family member (same last name, heck same address) for their Tesla, or use for accessory purchases like wheels etc?

You're the BEST for posting all this valuable information. Deeply appreciate your transparency and sharing so much with the community. Have sent some referrals your way recently FYI :)

For the $5500 (sorry to be so granular Hank!!) would they allow you to apply that to, say, maintenance plan, extended warranty, both? Or transfer that to a family member (same last name, heck same address) for their Tesla, or use for accessory purchases like wheels etc?

You know, I really can't say what they'll do for each individual person. I really only know what they told me. That could change from person to person or month to month as the referral program changes. That said, I do think you can apply the credit to a maintenance plan or ESA or non-warranty service items. If you want to transfer the credit to an immediate family member (like you said same name/address) to buy a new car, I really don't think they'd have a problem with that either.

You're the BEST for posting all this valuable information. Deeply appreciate your transparency and sharing so much with the community. Have sent some referrals your way recently FYI

Why thank you! It's very much appreciated!

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA
And again, the awards are NOT transferrable -- you can not sell the PW2 awards.

Not true. I've been in contact with the referral program folks (actually some higher-ups specifically working on Energy-related stuff) for over half a year regarding selling my PW2s. Have provided them with the addresses of my buyers and informed them that I'm "giving" my PW2s to friends.

Not once did anyone tell me this wasn't possible. It might be that they don't like the idea of selling, but why would they give you the option to select a delivery address if your only choice is to have it installed at your current residence.

Not once did anyone tell me this wasn't possible. It might be that they don't like the idea of selling, but why would they give you the option to select a delivery address if your only choice is to have it installed at your current residence.

I got the same survey form from Phase 6 that asked for a delivery address. That was probably a year ago.

But once they actually started to put the program together, they decided that they aren't just going to drop-ship the PW2s, but offer full installation services as part of the award. The inclusion of the $700 backup gateway and up to $1000 of install credit only came about very recently - it was never mentioned in any of the original referral award materials. I guess they didn't want people installing the units themselves and having some botched installs and bad press. They also are trying to upsell solar panel installations.

I don't know who you're working with, but I'm working directly with the Tesla Energy folks responsible for delivering all PW2 referral awards, and we went back and forth on this for months, and the lawyers and finance departments have all said that nope, no way you can transfer the award or the install to anyone else. We tried several different "scenarios". Since the homeowner has to sign off on the install for permitting and site surveys, according to their lawyers, that has to be the same person (or family) that won the award. Your name has to be on the deed of the install site. They are making no exceptions to this. There are also tax implications, and they want to make sure the person getting the award is taxed properly, and again, the finance department has said the winner of the award is going to be taxed, they must ensure that the award is installed at their house. Maybe you were able to cut some sort of exception or deal with someone who doesn't know any better, but I think in the end, you'll run up against the same walls I did.

They told me they have lots of PW2 award winners in the same boat (condo owners, renters, etc) that can't install the PW2 and want to "gift" them to other people, and this is what corporate has decided to do. And that's what they are telling everyone. Also, about two months ago, they did hint at a cash payout, but later retracted that offer.

Do you have a site survey scheduled at your buyer's location yet? Do you realize you're going to be taxed on the total value of the award?

I got the same survey form from Phase 6 that asked for a delivery address. That was probably a year ago.

But once they actually started to put the program together, they decided that they aren't just going to drop-ship the PW2s, but offer full installation services as part of the award. The inclusion of the $700 backup gateway and up to $1000 of install credit only came about very recently - it was never mentioned in any of the original referral award materials. I guess they didn't want people installing the units themselves and having some botched installs and bad press. They also are trying to upsell solar panel installations.

I don't know who you're working with, but I'm working directly with the Tesla Energy folks responsible for delivering all PW2 referral awards, and we went back and forth on this for months, and the lawyers and finance departments have all said that nope, no way you can transfer the award or the install to anyone else. We tried several different "scenarios". Since the homeowner has to sign off on the install for permitting and site surveys, according to their lawyers, that has to be the same person (or family) that won the award. Your name has to be on the deed of the install site. They are making no exceptions to this. There are also tax implications, and they want to make sure the person getting the award is taxed properly, and again, the finance department has said the winner of the award is going to be taxed, they must ensure that the award is installed at their house. Maybe you were able to cut some sort of exception or deal with someone who doesn't know any better, but I think in the end, you'll run up against the same walls I did.

They told me they have lots of PW2 award winners in the same boat (condo owners, renters, etc) that can't install the PW2 and want to "gift" them to other people, and this is what corporate has decided to do. And that's what they are telling everyone. Also, about two months ago, they did hint at a cash payout, but later retracted that offer.

Do you have a site survey scheduled at your buyer's location yet? Do you realize you're going to be taxed on the total value of the award?

Whoa, thanks for the valuable insights! Looks like you've delved far deeper into this than I have, touché.

That being said, if what you're saying is really set in stone, their incompetence would mess with my finances big time. I spent tons of time securing my buyers and staying in touch with them during this ridiculously long wait. I was also counting on the roughly $20k from selling 3 PW2s and didn't expect any tax shenanigans (never even got a single sheet of paper about my first set of Arachnids, which I sold, from Tesla).

Will contact them again, but if this is really the case, then I'm so done with the referral program. It's insane how the value of prizes has been diminishing lately (people dumping their Arachnids left and right for as low as $2k - I had sold my set for 6k), and even if they did offer Tesla credit, it would be of no use to me right now and would mean I have to sell credits/products at a discount.

But honestly, I don't get the whole problem. How hard can it be to just let owners transfer their hard-earned rewards to someone else (Tesla need not know about the relationship and financial modalities involved) and have the recipient bear all associated costs????

I agree it shouldn't be as hard as it sounds. KIll, err, I mean blame the lawyers.

I also worked with two different buyers for three PW2s and had to refund their deposits. I too was counting on that income.

There's a good chance we'll be buying a M3 next year, so the credits will work for us, and actually saves us the hassle of selling the powerwalls and these complications. Or we might install one PW2 and take credit for two.

If you've been talking to the "referral program" people then I do suspect that they might not know the details being handled by the Tesla Energy division, previously SolarCity.

Have you received a call yet from Tesla Energy to schedule the PW2 install site survey? If not, then the people you have been dealing with are upstream from the actual installation people. When you do get that call to set up a site survey to install the PW2s, those are the people to ask if you can transfer the units to some other person/address.

With regards to taxes, at this point I think it's 50/50 Tesla will 1099s us on the wheels delivered in 2017. But even if they don't, you are still liable to report and pay taxes on the fair market value of all referral award prizes on your own tax return. Same thing for the PW2s - but in this case, they told me they are explicitly taxable as income (I take that to mean they're sending out 1099s).

Ok, I have a little more information about the Powerwall awards for people who do not want to, or can't, claim the actual Powerwall 2 Installation awards.

First, only the PW2 awards from Phase 6 are the "signed" units. The PW2 awards from phases 8 and 9 are red, but not signed.

Second, Tesla gave me exactly two options:

Option #1: Accept Powerwall2 Install at my home -- includes backup gateway and up to $1000 of install credit.
Option #2: Accept a $5,500 "Tesla Credit" to be used for future Tesla purchases.
There is no cash-out option as they had hinted at to me previously, nor an alternative prize offering. And again, the awards are NOT transferrable -- you can not sell the PW2 awards. I asked if the "Tesla Credit" can be used for a future Model 3 purchase next year (waiting for AWD, Performance, etc), and the answer was "yes, that's most likely not a problem", but YMMV. I didn't ask if it can be applied to a Next Gen Roadster, but I don't see why not. :)

If you've won a PW2 referral award and have not been contacted yet, don't worry, they are very busy and will get to you soon enough. No need to call them, you likely won't get to the group handling this. I think they're still working on the awards from Phase 6, so just be patient.

If I can use it for the 3 that would be nice. I really don’t need three power walls and was planning to sell two.

So many missing prizes it’s sorta crazy how they can offer all these prizes and not have any handle on it.

I was also counting on the roughly $20k from selling 3 PW2s and didn't expect any tax shenanigans (never even got a single sheet of paper about my first set of Arachnids, which I sold, from Tesla).

You found people willing to pay that much for a red Powerwall 2? Isn't that more than they cost new?

"tax shenanigans"? No, that is just the way things work, you win/earn a prize and you owe taxes on it. When did you take delivery of your Arachnids? I suspect we will find out around the end of January how Tesla will handle reporting the referral prizes.

Speaking of the program, what ever happened to the vacation annual rewards???? It was like 9 referrals or twenty and it was a paid vacation with a tesla rental?

It was part of one of the 'survey' emails Tesla sent out if you reached 20 qualifying referrals.

The list of destination charging partner hotels is pretty large and covers most countries (airfare not included). So for us it's kinda hard to just pick one unless we're already going to that area for something else.

It's not in the email, but it's said to include: "the ability to swap their car with the latest Tesla of their choice for a week."

Weekend Getaway
For reaching 20 annual referrals, we're awarding you with a weekend stay at one of our destination charging partner hotels. To redeem your award, please select a hotel from our list of partner locations and provide your preferences below. We will reach out to confirm your reservation. Please allow at least 3 weeks advance notice.

list of hotels: Tesla Destination Charging in | Tesla

Limits
  • One room for up to 4 nights total
  • Max $1000 USD total cost
  • Guests are responsible for all incidentals and will be required to provide a credit card upon check-in
  • Airbnb locations are not included

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
Speaking of the program, what ever happened to the vacation annual rewards???? It was like 9 referrals or twenty and it was a paid vacation with a tesla rental?

I filled out my survey and was contacted about it. I am not taking advantage of it until 2018 though.

As Hank pointed out, they will be conducting site surveys and I also have been told that the power walls are not transferable.

Thanks Erik

You found people willing to pay that much for a red Powerwall 2? Isn't that more than they cost new?

"tax shenanigans"? No, that is just the way things work, you win/earn a prize and you owe taxes on it. When did you take delivery of your Arachnids? I suspect we will find out around the end of January how Tesla will handle reporting the referral prizes.

They can't issue 1099s without first getting your social security number, which requires a W9 form to be sent back to Tesla BEFORE delivery of the prize with the social security number. That's why some of this doesn't make sense.

They can't issue 1099s without first getting your social security number, which requires a W9 form to be sent back to Tesla BEFORE delivery of the prize with the social security number. That's why some of this doesn't make sense.

In any case issuing 1099s isn't required in all cases, but in all cases, where the recipient has received a total of more than $600 worth of goods in the calendar year, the prize recipient is responsible for reporting it and paying the appropriate taxes.

I don't think that's entirely true. They don't need to get the W9 before issuing the prize, but they (obviously) do need it before issuing the 1099. At the end of the year, any recipient that has received more than $600 in cash or award value should get a 1099. They might not know who to request a W9 from until after 2017 is over and all awards issued and sees who qualifies. So the W9 does not have to come first.

Reactions: MP3Mike
My 2nd referral took delivery yesterday and my third will be today (me), so that should get me the Arachnid upgrade. I'm so excited about that upgrade!

My 4th referral that would have gotten me the Powerwall 2 ordered last week and was set to take delivery of a local inventory vehicle this Saturday. It was an amazing deal on a Model X. He decided to back out of his deal, losing his $2500 deposit. I guess this will go down as a canceled order and I'll lose the referral meaning I will miss out on the Powerwall.

I'm really disappointed that he backed out -- but c'est la vie, I guess.

• Disagree
That's true. I guess he didn't officially clear it with the wife. Not only is he losing $2500, but he might end up losing the $7500 rebate. I know there are a bunch of people that would love to be taking delivery this Saturday.

...and I'm working on getting another referral to get back to Powerwall level.

Just checked the info that Tesla.com sends me when I check for referrals for the Top Tesla referrers from the Tesla referral program website and it actually looks like they are ending the program on December 31.

Here's the info I get - pay attention to the 7th line.
  1. {first_name: "Lasse", discount: 0, can_redeem: true, referral_limit: 55,…}
    1. button_label:"Start Designing"
    2. can_redeem:true
    3. discount:0
    4. first_name:"Lasse"
    5. message:"Lasse's referral code gives you free unlimited Supercharging toward your new <span class="referral-model_code"></span>."
    6. referral_code:"lasse9342"
    7. referral_end_date:"12/31/2017"
    8. referral_limit:55
    9. solar_referral_credit:5
    10. solar_referral_limit:5
    11. title:"Tesla Referral Program"

Status
Not open for further replies.