Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just checked the info that Tesla.com sends me when I check for referrals for the Top Tesla referrers from the Tesla referral program website and it actually looks like they are ending the program on December 31.

Here's the info I get - pay attention to the 7th line.
  1. {first_name: "Lasse", discount: 0, can_redeem: true, referral_limit: 55,…}
    1. button_label:"Start Designing"
    2. can_redeem:true
    3. discount:0
    4. first_name:"Lasse"
    5. message:"Lasse's referral code gives you free unlimited Supercharging toward your new <span class="referral-model_code"></span>."
    6. referral_code:"lasse9342"
    7. referral_end_date:"12/31/2017"
    8. referral_limit:55
    9. solar_referral_credit:5
    10. solar_referral_limit:5
    11. title:"Tesla Referral Program"
Sent this to the referral program folks - it is a mistake.

You found people willing to pay that much for a red Powerwall 2? Isn't that more than they cost new?

"tax shenanigans"? No, that is just the way things work, you win/earn a prize and you owe taxes on it. When did you take delivery of your Arachnids? I suspect we will find out around the end of January how Tesla will handle reporting the referral prizes.

The referral prize includes installation up to $1000, and at least the first of my PW2s is handsigned by Elon & co. The other 2 still have a certain "scarcity value", and 6,500 is actually the same as retail if you include installation.

I got the same survey form from Phase 6 that asked for a delivery address. That was probably a year ago.

But once they actually started to put the program together, they decided that they aren't just going to drop-ship the PW2s, but offer full installation services as part of the award. The inclusion of the $700 backup gateway and up to $1000 of install credit only came about very recently - it was never mentioned in any of the original referral award materials. I guess they didn't want people installing the units themselves and having some botched installs and bad press. They also are trying to upsell solar panel installations.

I don't know who you're working with, but I'm working directly with the Tesla Energy folks responsible for delivering all PW2 referral awards, and we went back and forth on this for months, and the lawyers and finance departments have all said that nope, no way you can transfer the award or the install to anyone else. We tried several different "scenarios". Since the homeowner has to sign off on the install for permitting and site surveys, according to their lawyers, that has to be the same person (or family) that won the award. Your name has to be on the deed of the install site. They are making no exceptions to this. There are also tax implications, and they want to make sure the person getting the award is taxed properly, and again, the finance department has said the winner of the award is going to be taxed, they must ensure that the award is installed at their house. Maybe you were able to cut some sort of exception or deal with someone who doesn't know any better, but I think in the end, you'll run up against the same walls I did.

They told me they have lots of PW2 award winners in the same boat (condo owners, renters, etc) that can't install the PW2 and want to "gift" them to other people, and this is what corporate has decided to do. And that's what they are telling everyone. Also, about two months ago, they did hint at a cash payout, but later retracted that offer.

Do you have a site survey scheduled at your buyer's location yet? Do you realize you're going to be taxed on the total value of the award?

Thanks for your detailed response, Hank, and sorry for the late reply. I had talked to some people from the referral program (don't remember who exactly) who contacted me directly after I kept insisting on accurate info, as well as to a lady from Tesla energy who confirmed that installation up to $1,000 is included in the award (that was already for round 8, not 9).

I was aware about the tax implications, but I still don't see how Tesla has any right to deny me simple delivery of a prize I legitimately earned. What's their response to people who are moving in the near future and don't want them installed at their current residence, but also aren't moving before the prizes expire? If worst comes to worst, I'll just do the site survey (haven't been contacted about that yet) at my wife's uncle's house in NY and then come up with some reason why they can't be installed right now once they actually show up with the PW2s.

I will get my prizes one way or another, and I will do with them as I please. This is beyond ridiculous from Tesla's end.

I still don't see how Tesla has any right to deny me simple delivery of a prize I legitimately earned.

They're not denying you anything. The rules are extremely clear. Awards are not transferrable. Their game, their rules. The award includes installation, which is probably for legal reasons, they don't want to just drop-ship a PW2 and hope you get it installed correctly. And they're probably insisting on the installations to enforce the non-transferability of the units, so people don't go selling/scalping them for more than they're worth. It's a policy that makes sense to me.

What's their response to people who are moving in the near future and don't want them installed at their current residence, but also aren't moving before the prizes expire?

Their response is "ok, we'll give you $5,500 credit for a future purchase," which, IMO, is a generous alternative offered. They do not have to offer that, they could just say "install the powerwalls, or don't, we don't care."

And the "prizes expiring"? What's that about? I'm in the process of moving also. We haven't closed on the new house yet, and Tesla said they are patient and will wait for me to get settled and close on the house before scheduling installation (since I need to own the house where it's being installed). There are lots of people (and countries) in line that can use the PW2s before I need them. If you're worried about some "expiration", then just talk to them about waiting. They'll wait. Nothing is going to "expire."

If worst comes to worst, I'll just do the site survey (haven't been contacted about that yet) at my wife's uncle's house in NY and then come up with some reason why they can't be installed right now once they actually show up with the PW2s.

I really don't think that's going to work. The Tesla Energy crews will be there to do the installation. You have to sign off on all sorts of documents. If it's not your house, or your wife's house, I don't think you'll fool them because it's your wife's uncle's house. The documents and permits have to match up.

And if you try to block them in any way, I seriously doubt they're going to just say "ok, we'll just leave these here, bye!" They'll be really pissed off, too. Do you understand how the installation works? After the site-survey, they will draw up design and engineering specifications, which you have to approve. Once they know the detailed plan, they'll schedule an install visit. They will install cutoff switches, conduit, a backup gateway, more conduit, and tie it into your existing panel. The last thing they do is hook up the batteries. So either you're going to stop them from touching the property altogether when they arrive (work you already approved), or you'll block them from installing the battery after they've done all the other work. I wouldn't want to be around the crew in that case. It's not going to be pretty. Now what you might be able to do (if you can even get the install done at the uncle's house) is let them complete the install, then call your own contractor to undo it all and pull out the battery. But that seems like a colossal waste. You then have to transport the batteries and associated hardware somewhere else, and pay for another installation. By the way, you know these weigh 270 pounds each? Look into shipping costs for that.

I will get my prizes one way or another, and I will do with them as I please. This is beyond ridiculous from Tesla's end.

Entitled much? It's not at all ridiculous. This is the prize. This is their game, and they make the rules. They'll offer you an alternative (credit) if you can't install the PW2s. I don't think you're going succeed by trying to trick or manipulate them into submission to get what you want. If you don't like the rules, then don't play the game.

I too had three PW2s sold hoping they could be delivered to wherever I specified. Turns out they are following their own rules and not allowing transfers. Ok, I'll take the credit offered instead. I had to refund the last PW2 deposit this morning.

I might install one PW2 and keep credit for the others towards our Model 3. But at least I have that option.

The entire referral program is a huge 'thank you' from Tesla for helping them promote and sell cars. We all should be happy and grateful it exists at all. I don't understand your attitude of "I'll get what I think I deserve, no matter what!"

Last edited:
With the PW2 reward being worth $7200 after install and switch, won't your tax liability be more than just buying solar with a PW2 added in? The Federal rebate for a PW2/solar system would be a better deal than the taxes on a "free" PW.

I would rather have the $5500 discount on a Model 3 instead. Giving discount for a car purchase to influencers doesn't raise the same issues. I didn't get a 1099 when I negotiated a $10K discount on my NIssan Leaf purchase.

They're not denying you anything. The rules are extremely clear. Awards are not transferrable. Their game, their rules. The award includes installation, which is probably for legal reasons, they don't want to just drop-ship a PW2 and hope you get it installed correctly. And they're probably insisting on the installations to enforce the non-transferability of the units, so people don't go selling/scalping them for more than they're worth. It's a policy that makes sense to me.

Their response is "ok, we'll give you $5,500 credit for a future purchase," which, IMO, is a generous alternative offered. They do not have to offer that, they could just say "install the powerwalls, or don't, we don't care."

And the "prizes expiring"? What's that about? I'm in the process of moving also. We haven't closed on the new house yet, and Tesla said they are patient and will wait for me to get settled and close on the house before scheduling installation (since I need to own the house where it's being installed). There are lots of people (and countries) in line that can use the PW2s before I need them. If you're worried about some "expiration", then just talk to them about waiting. They'll wait. Nothing is going to "expire."

I really don't think that's going to work. The Tesla Energy crews will be there to do the installation. You have to sign off on all sorts of documents. If it's not your house, or your wife's house, I don't think you'll fool them because it's your wife's uncle's house. The documents and permits have to match up.

And if you try to block them in any way, I seriously doubt they're going to just say "ok, we'll just leave these here, bye!" They'll be really pissed off, too. Do you understand how the installation works? After the site-survey, they will draw up design and engineering specifications, which you have to approve. Once they know the detailed plan, they'll schedule an install visit. They will install cutoff switches, conduit, a backup gateway, more conduit, and tie it into your existing panel. The last thing they do is hook up the batteries. So either you're going to stop them from touching the property altogether when they arrive (work you already approved), or you'll block them from installing the battery after they've done all the other work. I wouldn't want to be around the crew in that case. It's not going to be pretty. Now what you might be able to do (if you can even get the install done at the uncle's house) is let them complete the install, then call your own contractor to undo it all and pull out the battery. But that seems like a colossal waste. You then have to transport the batteries and associated hardware somewhere else, and pay for another installation. By the way, you know these weigh 270 pounds each? Look into shipping costs for that.

Entitled much? It's not at all ridiculous. This is the prize. This is their game, and they make the rules. They'll offer you an alternative (credit) if you can't install the PW2s. I don't think you're going succeed by trying to trick or manipulate them into submission to get what you want. If you don't like the rules, then don't play the game.

I too had three PW2s sold hoping they could be delivered to wherever I specified. Turns out they are following their own rules and not allowing transfers. Ok, I'll take the credit offered instead. I had to refund the last PW2 deposit this morning.

I might install one PW2 and keep credit for the others towards our Model 3. But at least I have that option.

The entire referral program is a huge 'thank you' from Tesla for helping them promote and sell cars. We all should be happy and grateful it exists at all. I don't understand your attitude of "I'll get what I think I deserve, no matter what!"

Hank, what you're saying makes a lot of sense, and I appreciate your input about the feasibility of my site survey idea (I guess in the worst case I can just take the credit and buy something with it for someone at a 10% discount or whatever), but I really don't get your "ungrateful brat" scolding session. This isn't some handout or "huge thank you" -- all it is is a simple input-output calculation that arrived at the conclusion that a referral marketing program stimulating word-of-mouth sales is a cheaper alternative to traditional marketing. Sure, they had free media hype and lots of word-of-mouth before the inception of the referral program, but there is a clear correlation between the program(s) and sales.

I AM grateful for Tesla, but not for "giving" me anything, but for having brought EVs into the mainstream and making eco-friendliness sexy and cool. I don't have to be grateful and am indeed entitled to the rewards I was promised in return for my marketing efforts on their behalf. Again, this is an incentivized marketing program, and one would assume that the "non-transferable" part applies to non-fungible rewards (i.e., event invitations), seeing how we live in a society that is based on property ownership and where there is no law that states, if I give you X, you have to agree to have X permamently installed a a previously specified location. That was NOT what it said in the referral program terms. All it said is that I have to take delivery of my rewards and can't sell my title to them.

And don't think I'm just in this for the money. I got my kids a Mini Tesla, I was stoked about having the Arachnids on my MS and only sold because Tesla couldn't figure out how to get me the gray set I had selected and delivered silver instead. And I'd put all of my 3 PW2s on my own house in a heartbeat, if I was in any position to afford a house (entitled millennial problems, I know)...

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I have a few questions for those with much more referral experience than I...

1) Has anyone received their Black Signature wall charger referral prize yet?
2) How long after delivery of a referral did it take for you to receive your referral invitation for the wall charger?
3) Same question for arachnid wheels?
4) Same question for powerwall 2?

• Funny
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Some already said they received emails to order the charger though. I'm still waiting for my email and the referral placed order on Sept 28 and delivered on the 30th of Sept.
Not sure what the delay is.
Some prizes come a lot quicker that others. I know many people are still waiting on their jackets from the program that ended in October 2016. It took a long time for the first set of Arachnids to be delivered but other sets came a lot quicker. We received some carry-on bags but not all. We are still waiting on all Powerwall 2s but I think some people are starting to receive them. Since they aren't even planning on shipping out the signature wall connectors until January, I wouldn't be worried about it just yet.

How do you claim the credit?
My survey email gave me two options, "yes I am interested in the Powerwall price" or "no I am not interested..."

The whole process begins when Tesla Energy calls you to set up a site survey. Just select "I am interested" and wait. Could be many months (or more) until they contact you.

Also, I've only posted my experience. When they call you, it's quite possible the policies could change, so YMMV.

I have a few questions for those with much more referral experience than I...

1) Has anyone received their Black Signature wall charger referral prize yet?
2) How long after delivery of a referral did it take for you to receive your referral invitation for the wall charger?
3) Same question for arachnid wheels?
4) Same question for powerwall 2?

Fill out the surveys. Update if your status changes.

Referral Program Phase 9 (Ending 9/28/17) Delivery Survey
Referral Program Phase 8 (Ended 6/15/17) Delivery Survey
Referral Program Phase 7 (Ended 3/15/17) Delivery Survey
Referral Program Phase 6 (Ended 1/15/17) Delivery Survey
Referral Program Phase 5 (Ended 10/15/16) Delivery Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.