Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d like to see the referral program end just to see how many of the Tesla YouTubers are never heard from again...

I'd just like to see Youtube be back on the "not ok" list for the referral program and see how many referrals people actually get! I spent quite a bit of time on the ground talking to owners so much so that I might as well wear a Tesla employee t-shirt. Yet these youtubers are somehow gaming the system and getting 55+ referrals!! :mad: Now I say "gaming" because good youtubers like @islandbayy have been making videos before the referral program and he doesnt have 50+ referrals, Bjorn also has been making videos before the referral program as well but he does have 55+ referrals but thats always been the case for him. However, there are 10+ people getting Roadsters and they are all youtubers that started during the referral program...somethings Afoot!

Jealousy :D aside I'd like to know the trick!

• Informative
Reactions: Reeler
I'd just like to see Youtube be back on the "not ok" list for the referral program and see how many referrals people actually get! I spent quite a bit of time on the ground talking to owners so much so that I might as well wear a Tesla employee t-shirt. Yet these youtubers are somehow gaming the system and getting 55+ referrals!! :mad: Now I say "gaming" because good youtubers like @islandbayy have been making videos before the referral program and he doesnt have 50+ referrals, Bjorn also has been making videos before the referral program as well but he does have 55+ referrals but thats always been the case for him. However, there are 10+ people getting Roadsters and they are all youtubers that started during the referral program...somethings Afoot!

Jealousy :D aside I'd like to know the trick!
I've also caught a couple of my referrals not showing up in my account. The OA switched my code with someone else's. Thankfully, we can now see names of people we refer as well.

flat 6... heard the rumors from folks on this site... there are several reasons for the speculations...

First... I would say a very very very high percentage of the cars sold today have a referral code attached... which means that potential traffic at the superchargers has not really diminished which was, as i understand it, one of the factors in discontinuing it in the first place in anticipation of model 3s being everywhere.

one free year of 1K in credits seems to be a good middle ground even for someone that uses them fairly frequently...

the negative for Tesla on unlimited supercharging is that their costs go on and on indefinitely... limiting the term or giving a credit gives them a more finite cost...

again no basis other than rumors here on the site but it would seem to make sense from a business model perspective

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Limiting the terms/credits seems like a fair way to begin phasing out the program. You only have to supply (a potentially limited) amount of supercharging for a year, and after that it's paid like everyone else. (Beyond the free 400kWh yearly) You can't keep giving away supercharging unlimited free forever.

Limiting the terms/credits seems like a fair way to begin phasing out the program. You only have to supply (a potentially limited) amount of supercharging for a year, and after that it's paid like everyone else. (Beyond the free 400kWh yearly) You can't keep giving away supercharging unlimited free forever.

True but on one hand this may also create a mass of people holding on to their "free supercharging" enabled vehicles and not very eager to upgrade.

On the other hand the reason why this was tied to referrals was to increase the sale of S/X vehicles ahead of the refresh. Since you cannot use free supercharging on M3 they truly will only have a subset of vehicles to support but the cost of supporting those vehicles are offset by the thousands of dollars generated in owners referring new owners.

I’d like to see the referral program end just to see how many of the Tesla YouTubers are never heard from again...

Kman(@islandbayy) & bjorn were making vids long before the inception of the referral program. Even I occasionally post Tesla videos and while I would like to earn a referral...I only got one last year so gaining referrals is not really a motivation.

I agree on the rationale, but I hope they go back to simple cash discount without the supercharging. Makes sense with the Model 3 hype/praise and price difference from the S

i am one referral away from a powerwall, i may just buy a second Tesla to get the powerwall but that seem excessive...

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a powerwall instead? :)

The depreciation hit on buying a new car just for the referral far exceeds the cost of a PW2.

I don't think anyone knows what's in store for the next phase.

The only things mentioned so far are unsubstantiated rumors (in the "what else is new" department).

Thats not the only consideration. My S just got totaled and i need another Tesla. I was waiting for the dust to settle before getting back in, but if i wait, i may not have unlimited supercharging. Getting a powerwall is nice also.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a powerwall instead? :)

The depreciation hit on buying a new car just for the referral far exceeds the cost of a PW2.

I don't think anyone knows what's in store for the next phase.

The only things mentioned so far are unsubstantiated rumors (in the "what else is new" department).

Yes and no the showroom guys put up with me every Saturday so I bring them something now and again.

Making fudge is a bit of an odd hobby of mine I have 93 flavors as sad as that sounds so I had a could pounds of red velvet in the freezer

On a separate note. I have been home for a month straight which is odd for me... First work trip to Chicago this morning and I miss a referral bonus because I am on a plane

Damn!!! !

Goodbye powerwall! !

Last edited:
Yes and no the showroom guys put up with me every Saturday so I bring them something now and again.

Making fudge is a bit of an odd hobby of mine I have 93 flavors as sad as that sounds so I had a could pounds of red velvet in the freezer

On a separate note. I have been home for a month straight which is odd for me... First work trip to Chicago this morning and I miss a referral bonus because I am on a plane

Damn!!! !

Goodbye powerwall! !

How many do you have right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.