Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Referral Relaunch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Medved_77

TM3 SR+ | MSM+Black | No FSD
Jan 20, 2020
Scotland
Looks to be rolling out in China first but would expect a similar scheme to rollout worldwide in due course.

Premise is that you receive credits for each person you refer, and they get credits too. These credits can be exchanged for shop items. Looking at the video in the tweet below, one referral would give you enough points for roughly two water bottles, or one cyber whistle :)

For those that refer many, entry into a draw for free (limited) super charging miles, FSD beta subscription....

It doesn’t read as the most generous referral scheme. Would I go out of my way to refer someone for a water bottle? I think I’d tell them exactly the same thing I’d tell them now, but then I’d still tell them that even if they bought back 1000 free supercharging miles. There’s good and there’s bad.

It's fairly predictable that if you open a factory in China it makes it even easier for them to understand all your intellectual property and systems and upstage. It's also more in their interest to export than sell in country when they can make cheaper national alternatives...

Reactions: pow216
Looks to be rolling out in China first but would expect a similar scheme to rollout worldwide in due course.
why?
1666783537029.png

Does not look like Tesla has a demand problem in Europe or the US where as in China supply now exceeds demand.
If the same becomes true in Europe then sure . but until then I would not hold your breath.

Reactions: KennethS
why?
View attachment 867689
Does not look like Tesla has a demand problem in Europe or the US where as in China supply now exceeds demand.
If the same becomes true in Europe then sure . but until then I would not hold your breath.
Yeah I am not sure why people keep going on about no demand, Berlin is going to be give them more capacity so that they can sell more cars in China, so they pull these triggers like price/referral program to increase demand. There may also be various tax and accounting reasons why they want to increase sales there rather than export but won't be public information.

Because the leaked video of the new loot box in the Tesla app contains Chinese text hence most likely launching there first. I suspect the same format will rollout to the rest of the world in due course as I can't see different referral schemes being developed and maintained for different markets.

If you feel that the new referral scheme will only be released in China as that's the market with the order backlog that's most diminishing then I'm not sure if that's the correct assumption. That wasn't the indication I provided in my post.

Firstly, the previous referral scheme ran for many years across all markets where production was constrained. Secondly, I can't see rewarding new owners with a small item from the Tesla shop much of an incentive to purchase therefore probably not 'Plan A' for increasing sales/increasing the order backlog indicating strong sales demand.

This seems like more of a small gesture towards brand loyalty which is cheaper to maintain now that electricity prices are 3x higher than they were during the last scheme. Brand loyalty will contribute towards sales but not to the extent where they only release this scheme to markets where they're concerned about supply exceeding demand. I'm not choosing to buy a car based on which one gives me a free umbrella.

Because the leaked video of the new loot box in the Tesla app contains Chinese text hence most likely launching there first. I suspect the same format will rollout to the rest of the world in due course as I can't see different referral schemes being developed and maintained for different markets.

If you feel that the new referral scheme will only be released in China as that's the market with the order backlog that's most diminishing then I'm not sure if that's the correct assumption. That wasn't the indication I provided in my post.

Firstly, the previous referral scheme ran for many years across all markets where production was constrained. Secondly, I can't see rewarding new owners with a small item from the Tesla shop much of an incentive to purchase therefore probably not 'Plan A' for increasing sales/increasing the order backlog indicating strong sales demand.

This seems like more of a small gesture towards brand loyalty which is cheaper to maintain now that electricity prices are 3x higher than they were during the last scheme. Brand loyalty will contribute towards sales but not to the extent where they only release this scheme to markets where they're concerned about supply exceeding demand. I'm not choosing to buy a car based on which one gives me a free umbrella.
the why was why do you think it will be extended not why do you think it is rolling out in China.
As for my doubts over its extension to other countries. I don't see why Tesla needs it unless its a way to increase orders. So unless orders dip in other countries I am not expecting it.
The old system of free miles meant the Youtubers and "influencers" quickly maxed out on what they could ever use so ran out of incentive. This is system may suit them since it has an alternative to just miles.
I guess we will have to see who is right. lets meet back here in 6 months :)

Reactions: vickh
New support documentation for the revised referral scheme on the US support site:

Last edited:
i also got an email that I'll be getting a long overdue referral check from the last solar program. Hope it's the right amount. I think this relaunch prompted an accounting clean up. Yeah! I wonder if I can get some recently expired miles back for the delay.

My link shows I've made 9 referral but loot box no longer shows them. Anyone have a current email for the program?

Last edited: