Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Referral Scheme to change again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if they simply expired the free miles after 6 months rather than re-up the entire allocation every time you get a referral, big influencers wouldn't have massive backlogs of miles
If that is how they do it, letting you keep them forever, that's the problem then. Because this is not as much a cash cost as it is a cost that hits the books. As long as those miles are 'live' so to speak they must reserve money which in the end means the reported profit is down $23 million even if they never have to give most of those miles away in the end.

While not hugely important, $23 million extra could have come in handy as unlike credits from other car manufacturers it can't be used against Tesla in the 'the don't make money on their cars' FUD.

If that is how they do it, letting you keep them forever, that's the problem then. Because this is not as much a cash cost as it is a cost that hits the books. As long as those miles are 'live' so to speak they must reserve money which in the end means the reported profit is down $23 million even if they never have to give most of those miles away in the end.

While not hugely important, $23 million extra could have come in handy as unlike credits from other car manufacturers it can't be used against Tesla in the 'the don't make money on their cars' FUD.
I didn't realise that either. I could never understand how people had a million miles even with you tube referrals. Makes more sense now

If that is how they do it, letting you keep them forever, that's the problem then.
They don't last forever. The rules have changed many times and at one time, a new referral extended the expiration date by 6 months. However, there's a maximum deadline date. At one time, it was 3 years. Now, it appears to be 2 years (April 19, 2023) or less for us. The current rules make it sound like there is no 6 month extension of the expiration deadline.

Miles Expiration
* Free Supercharging miles will apply to any vehicles on the same account and will expire 6 months after the miles are added.
** Free Supercharging miles will apply to any vehicles on the same account and will expire 3 years after the miles are added.

I didn't realise that either. I could never understand how people had a million miles even with you tube referrals. Makes more sense now
For orders placed between April 28, 2019, and May 29, 2019, they did a "boost" and the referrer received 5000 miles instead of 1000 miles. This allowed many to rack up lots of referral miles.

Do you actually get these free supercharger miles if you buy through a lease scheme? My understanding is the lease company get the account and we are just users on the account, like everyone else?
Yes you get them - not the leasing company.
You pass the referral details on to the leasing company and they then pass them on to Tesla when they order.

Reportedly some people even were awarded free Tesla Roadsters: Fred & Seth Roadster Rewards
Ben Sullins and Bjorn Nyland (both of YouTube fame) both have entitlements to 2 Roadsters.

And none of the promised Roadsters have been delivered... or a date offered. ;)

I would not be surprised if Elon finds a way to weasel out of this obligation... ala the current Solar Roof fiasco!

I would not be surprised if Elon finds a way to weasel out of this obligation... ala the current Solar Roof fiasco!

Plenty of past owners like my self got a crazy amount of 'free' stuff from Tesla for doing nothing more than sharing our passion for these cars...Those who 'won' Roadsters will get them.

49013833822_cb174d8a9a_k_d.jpg

37878101076_c9f350e392_c_d.jpg

Reactions: FlatSix911

The Roadster has not yet been sold to anyone as far as I'm aware so no one should be surprised they haven't received one yet. The USA is the land of lawsuits so I have every expectation that anyone who earned a bonus Roadster and gets "weaselled out" of it will sue. Fred Lambert has already said he plans to if he doesn't get his...

Referral links have disappeared from the account page on Tesla.com but not the app yet. Perhaps demand is high enough they're just going to quietly bin it.
I know its speculated the thing is changing but I'd have expected more of an announcement, I could just be the backend systsem is down as I've heard there are other probloems such as looking at reservations/orders..

I know its speculated the thing is changing but I'd have expected more of an announcement, I could just be the backend systsem is down as I've heard there are other probloems such as looking at reservations/orders..
Yep, my referral details have disappeared from my Tesla account home page but I think this is just an issue with their servers. TBH it was only ever a nice bonus so I'm not too worried :)