Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Refuses Model S - Roadster Trade-In

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand the convenience factor of doing the trade-in with Tesla, of not having to list/give test drives as a private party, but it sounds like the the process isn't as convenient as they would lead you to believe, and even worse, they are low-balling Roadster owners, to the tune of $7-10K, compared to what you could get if you listed it yourself.

I know TM needs to make a profit on these cars, but that is a lot of money to leave on the table. Spend a few minutes and list the car here in the For Sale forum. If someone here isn't looking for a Roadster, they might know of someone who is.

Tesla is using a third party to handle trade ins and is probably just the middleman here. Trading in is almost always a bad idea if you want to maximize your return, but it is convenient if you don't care. Companies that take used cars are in for the profit and will lowball you on price and turn around and sell for a tidy gain. I would try to sell privately first.

Tesla is using a third party to handle trade ins and is probably just the middleman here. Trading in is almost always a bad idea if you want to maximize your return, but it is convenient if you don't care. Companies that take used cars are in for the profit and will lowball you on price and turn around and sell for a tidy gain. I would try to sell privately first.
Note that he's trading in a Tesla Roadster. No middle man involved as Tesla is selling used Roadsters.

I disagree w/ Nigel that they can't "know" if the frame was damaged. They did the repairs! Tesla should have looked for this during the initial estimate that I assume was paid for by an insurance company.

This all seems very odd to me.

There has got to be more to this story...

What is the mileage? What is the asking price on the car?

There really isn't anything more to this. It is pretty straight forward. I had already received a written trade in value based on model, year and kms. The car has been maintained by Tesla rangers the entire time, and my car still charges up to 360 KM on range mode, which is pretty amazing I think. Unfortunately, they do not want to trade in my roadster based on the repairs they had made to my car - which I think looks as good as new - so I have no idea why they won't trade it in and they so far haven't explained that to me, and for the last 3 months they have been telling me it was 100% already confirmed.

Asking price? I wish it worked that way.....Tesla decides what they want to offer as a trade in value and you can either accept or decline.

I know the majority of customers are getting good service, but believe me there are some customers who are getting little to none.

I also know they have lost my Model X purchase from this experience, reservation cancelled.

Last edited:
I traded in my Roadster through Tesla, and my car had sustained damage that required body work: it was struck on the Interstate by a hubcap that came flying over the Jersey barrier from the opposing traffic lanes.

It took TM too long to complete the process and I had to eat a month's worth of excess depreciation, but there was never any hint that prior damage might queer the deal.

There really isn't anything more to this. It is pretty straight forward. I had already received a written trade in value based on model, year and kms. The car has been maintained by Tesla rangers the entire time, and my car still charges up to 360 KM on range mode, which is pretty amazing I think. Unfortunately, they do not want to trade in my roadster based on the repairs they had made to my car - which I think looks as good as new - so I have no idea why they won't trade it in and they so far haven't explained that to me, and for the last 3 months they have been telling me it was 100% already confirmed.

Asking price? I wish it worked that way.....Tesla decides what they want to offer as a trade in value and you can either accept or decline.

I know the majority of customers are getting good service, but believe me there are some customers who are getting little to none.

I also know they have lost my Model X purchase from this experience, reservation cancelled.
The reason why I asked about the asking price is that is seems fishy that someone is selling a car, a poster here asks what that someone is asking price wise, and the seller sends a PM? If you are selling a car, why not post the price here in the thread? Is the asking price out of touch with reality?

Has anyone else in Canada traded in a Roadster? I wonder if I am the first trade in in Canada and they have no idea what to do with it and hence make a reason to reject it? Of course I wouldn't have to keep guessing if they gave me a real reason.

- - - Updated - - -

I have my asking price for my roadster clearly marked in my tesla for sale ad in this forum. It say $85000. That is what I was asking before the trade in. No secrets here :) I paid $150000.

Has anyone else in Canada traded in a Roadster? I wonder if I am the first trade in in Canada and they have no idea what to do with it and hence make a reason to reject it? Of course I wouldn't have to keep guessing if they gave me a real reason.

- - - Updated - - -

I have my asking price for my roadster clearly marked in my tesla for sale ad in this forum. It say $85000. That is what I was asking before the trade in. No secrets here :) I paid $150000.
Ok, thanks, that makes sense.

But stevezzzz said in an earlier comment he had body repairs and traded in...

It could be Tesla have learn from previous "mistakes" (wise I guess, but sad for you) - tesla is not obligated to buy at "over price" - e.g. when they agreed to trade in, did they know all facts ? and calculated the price with this in mind.

Anyway they (tesla) could stil offer a trade in, it just a matter of agreemen of what price - e.g. they could use a third party if they can not sell it with there own CPO - might not get you the best price, but convinient and you get it traded in.

It sounds to me that tesla is doing right - they need only to take the car in, if they can resell with profit - there is no sutch thing as a free lunch.

It could be Tesla have learn from previous "mistakes" (wise I guess, but sad for you) - tesla is not obligated to buy at "over price" - e.g. when they agreed to trade in, did they know all facts ? and calculated the price with this in mind.

Anyway they (tesla) could stil offer a trade in, it just a matter of agreemen of what price - e.g. they could use a third party if they can not sell it with there own CPO - might not get you the best price, but convinient and you get it traded in.

It sounds to me that tesla is doing right - they need only to take the car in, if they can resell with profit - there is no sutch thing as a free lunch.

Tesla had all the facts, and believe me the trade in value they offered is well below what I was asking for privately...That part was all straight forward, they show what they expect to sell it for, less fees to detail and make any minor repairs, less their markup fee, I will say that part was transparent. What wasn't transparent is changing their mind at the very last minute, especially after it was shipped 1200 KM to their service center.....

Have you gone to a Carmax or similar in Canada to get a hard offer? Would seem to be worth the couple of hours as long as you're in this ping pong game with Tesla. Hip pocket thing.

As far as I know, there isn't really anything like Carmax in Canada, however I have seen some traditional dealers advertise that they'll buy your car even if you don't buy a new one from them. Not sure if this is ongoing or just when their inventory of used cars is low.

Update - appears Tesla has decided non-response is the way to go. Mr Blankenship never replied to my email, and a "higher" level Tesla rep asked for the VP of Sales to assist in this as well - but nothing. I'll keep saying it - I love the cars - but have extreme dissapointment with everything else at Tesla - just my experience.... at least they have lots of room for improvement :) can only get better IMO

Last edited: