Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Refuses Model S - Roadster Trade-In

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently my Roadster is 1200 km away from me at a service location. I have a written pdf trade in value. The non-response is unfortunately all too familiar with my dealings with Tesla this time around. Lesson learned. I will have to figure it out. Last post here. Adios.

Currently my Roadster is 1200 km away from me at a service location. I have a written pdf trade in value. The non-response is unfortunately all too familiar with my dealings with Tesla this time around. Lesson learned. I will have to figure it out. Last post here. Adios.

I'm guessing they picked it up from you and shipped to their service center, so maybe you can demand that they ship your vehicle back to you (at their cost) if they aren't going to provide you with trade-in? That would provide some leverage in getting them to honor the trade-in, as the alternative for them would be eating the cost of shipping (at minimum). You wouldn't have to follow-through with having the vehicle returned to you unless you really wanted it back, but this would allow you to gauge their reaction and see if it starts some fires under their feet.

Another option would be to email their corporate officers letting them know the details of your issue and that you plan on publicizing your experience if it isn't resolved immediately. That's not the most uplifting route to take, but you haven't had the most uplifting experience either. If the issue is as simple as you state (not honoring trade-in, no explanation for reason) then I imagine it would be resolved very quickly through this method.

If it means anything, I would be just as upset as you if a company was sitting on my property for that long w/out explanation. I already have a job, I don't need another one that involves me doing the work that others are paid to perform.

Good luck dude. Please post back here when this is resolved as I'm sure many people are interested.

stenkb, you have every right to be angry with Tesla for their handling of this situation. Even if their policy is to not do trade-ins, they should responsibly communicate with you. There is no justification for this, judging by the facts as described in this thread. Leaving you hanging in the wind with no explanation and no plan on what to do with your Roadster or your Model S is inexcusable, disrespectful, and far from how Tesla Motors wants to be perceived.

I suspect that they decided after trading in Steve's car that they may have changed their policies on trade-ins, but that is secondary to the bigger issue of horrible communications and updates. You just can't treat people that way, and definitely not people who spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on their cars.