Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Refusing to fix Thumping sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

804son

Jun 26, 2019
Colorado
Quick questions I'm hoping you all may have some input on. I have a 2021 MYP and everytime it's cold and we pull into the driveway, the car makes a Thump sound, this sound only occurs when it's cold out.
1St Question: Do any of your vehicles do this?
2nd Question: I have the vehicle in at the service center right now, and they are refusing to fix this, stating that it is expected that the top plate of the HV battery will make this noise when flexed? I told them I disagree and have not heard of this being a standard and expected behavior. Radio silence from them since. Should I pursue further?

True, I've got plenty of time to pursue it later if needed. I hadn't considered that aspect yet. I'm a bit peev'd they admit there is a problem and know what it is, but refuse to resolve it. I haven't heard of this as an expected behavior from anyone on here before.

Upvote 0
Just got done discussing this with the service advisor. He agreed this is not as designed, however Tesla does not have an approved fix at this time, so we're going to wait and see if an approved fix comes out. I will check in with them at a later date, certainly before the warranty expires.

Upvote 0
Quick questions I'm hoping you all may have some input on. I have a 2021 MYP and everytime it's cold and we pull into the driveway, the car makes a Thump sound, this sound only occurs when it's cold out.
1St Question: Do any of your vehicles do this?
2nd Question: I have the vehicle in at the service center right now, and they are refusing to fix this, stating that it is expected that the top plate of the HV battery will make this noise when flexed? I told them I disagree and have not heard of this being a standard and expected behavior. Radio silence from them since. Should I pursue further?
Is this occurring from under the vehicle, from the front, or the rear of the vehicle? My forward struts make a noise when leaving the driveway, but it just seems like the springs are binding and unbinding.

Upvote 0
This is normal. I have had two MY and they both do it only when its cold out. When I first noticed it in early 2021 I thought for sure something was hitting the bottom of the vehicle. No it was going down hill and around certain turns when the temps were below 45F. Pretty steep hills (lots of regen) near my home and the change in temp cause a popping sound which can also feel like something under your feet. Its totally normal and the telltale sign is that it only does it when its cold outside. It will make a similar noise when its hot outside but only when supercharging.

Reactions: andaconda
Upvote 0
I'm not sure there would ever be an approved fix. It's most likely a sound we will get used to in all future EV cars that have a large encased series of batteries.

What you have is a rectangular sheet of metal along the top which heats up and tries to find room to expand. Its like a large drum head (instrument). When it finally finds a place to expand into, you get the loud pop because of how tightly the sheet is secured to the rest of the encasement (which seals in all the liquid cooling battery management magic).

If it were secured so tightly that it couldnt make the popping sound, you'd have component failure somewhere else in the battery. Seals, welds, ports etc etc.

If you tried to insulate the battery to soften the sound heard by the occupants, you'd potentially have more weight added (less range) and struggle to cool down the pack on hotter days (also less range)

You could replace the metal sheet with a softer non metallic membrane... but so many structural issues arise and wear out of the membrane becomes a problem (anything that flexes frequently, eventually wears out)

Upvote 0
There is an approved fix and they lied to you because I had mine fixed. Tell them to look in the "toolbox" which is their internal notes of issues. To remedy the problem, they dropped my battery and lined the top with foam tape and it stopped.
I messaged Tesla service about the "Toolbox" fix (lining the top of the batter w/ foam tape). They stated that this particular "fix" had not produced reliable results and therefore was no longer offered. I'll just have to wait and see if something else comes available I've got quite a while left on the warranty and it only affects the vehicle when it's cold out and flexed pulling into the driveway. If it comes toward the end of the warranty though, I will attempt to push for some form of a resolution.

Upvote 0
If it's just a sound, and not indicative of anything failing or becoming loose - as another poster said, I wouldn't spend too much energy on this. It really is normal.

If it was a suspension clunk or rattle, that is something that could get worse over time, but this is a known "quirk" of these cars.

Personally, I wouldn't want my battery dropped unless absolutely necessary.

Upvote 0
If it's just a sound, and not indicative of anything failing or becoming loose - as another poster said, I wouldn't spend too much energy on this. It really is normal.

If it was a suspension clunk or rattle, that is something that could get worse over time, but this is a known "quirk" of these cars.

Personally, I wouldn't want my battery dropped unless absolutely necessary.
I don't believe it's anything that could get worse over time. I think this is just falling into a quirk of the "car". My Model 3 doesn't do it, but I think you're right it's just one of those things that different vehicles can experience. Not a huge issue for sure, I would say it's a minor annoyance.

Upvote 0