Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla registered the car to someone else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Them give the car(and the headache) back to Tesla
That's very easy to say, but I still have to give a car up while I wait for a new one, hoping the new one won't be a lemon and then re-organise delivery/collection not to mention the insurance. The car was also due in Monday for some pain correction and PPF etc, so that's getting cancelled and re-arranged.

There are always knock-on effects, and whichever way you cut it it's still a pain in the arse for me. I have no idea who currently owns the car sitting next to the house. Am I responsible for it at the moment? Am I going to have a car tomorrow? I'm still waiting for them to call me back, two and a half hours after they told me what had happened.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm sure the 'hand it back' comments are well meaning, but they detract somewhat from the impact it's actually going to have.

Reactions: Fly.guy
I agree with others on this one. I would find a "letter" suspicious if I was going to buy your car - things like this don't happen. It most certainly will affect resale value, due to their incompetence not yours.
I would, like others suggest put down a deposit on another and return the one your not a registered keeper for back. Only real advantage to your situation is the end of Q push, maybe you might be able to get some sort of compensation and another car without waiting an age for. I personally wouldn't bank on it and just hope they get you a replacement that isn't a lemon ASAP.

First of all, I'd hate to be in the situation that you're in. Other people have been unlucky with new Tesla's too and to be fair any new car.
You are right, handing it back will be a headache, but not handing it back will also be a headache. That headache will come when you try to sell it or trade it in. So you're not getting rid of the headache just delaying it.

It may well be that when you reject the car that Tesla shift their ass and either pressure DVLA or find another car similar to your spec. Or since it's end of Q, maybe even one a little better. Have you looked at the inventory cars?
Best of luck whatever you do and only you can decide what's best for you.

Reactions: s88ats
I've been offered £90 to suck it up. I've said I'm rejecting the car.

She was a good'n as well. Heartbroken.
I would say that's a wise decision as who knows what kind of issues you might encounter in several years time when you come to sell it...

Hopefully, you don't have to wait too long for a replacement (if you're still going for a Tesla)!

Regards insurance, clearly you still need the insurance until Tesla take the car off your hands, but if its within your cooling-off period you should be able to cancel that no problem with no admin fees!

Tesla got our first registration wrong, too, though not to the same extent. They registered it in the the company name, rather than wife’s name as we had requested. DVLA have flat out refused to change the details without incurring an extra keeper. Clearly they have a stupid no ifs or buts policy to stop people sneaking in pre-reg cars. Not a massive deal for us, but in your case it’s total BS. DVLA really need to sort out their stupid policy. I really don’t understand why it needs to show number of previous keepers, anyway. What purpose does it serve? In this case, Tesla should be offering a minimum of £1000 in compo and I don’t blame you for returning the car, as it comes across as being a second hand car.

Stupid government inflexibility for no real purpose. Tesla should also suck it up, as they’ll end up losing more, in the long term.

This happened to me 6 years ago with Ford. DVLA just asked me to send a copy of my insurance certificate that was:
valid from the date the car was first registered and taxed amd
show my details as the main insured driver

Call DVLA yourself. There is a process to correct the details on a v5 if the dealer screws up.Car does not need to be deregistered. All you need. Is the V5 and a letter from Tesla saying they made a mistake. Problem will be if they put the wrong address and the v5 has gone to that address. You may need to get it back from there. Not sure. If you call the DVLA. Hopefully they can advise. I think you have about 30 days to do it

I found the letter the DVLA sent me, I hope this helps

Attachments

• 20210624_230616.jpg
    20210624_230616.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 182
Reactions: GRiLLA
Getting the DVLA to respond much less action this, especially post-COVID, during the return window for the car would be nigh on impossible.

If they turn around in 3 weeks or whatever and say “sorry no can do, we don’t do that anymore” the OP would be stuffed.

Reactions: MrBadger
One thing to note here is that if they make tesla the original owner then its technically pre registered, that has two impacts.

1. The car is no longer subject to VAT as its not new, not sure if you are a business buyer but that could be a big deal, as a personal sale it would normally equate to the pre-registered discount.

2. More importantly, pre-registered cars cannot be sold to customers until 3 months after registration.

In this instance i woudl hand the car back, let them use it as a demonstrator ad sell it later, if there is another car of equivalent spec in stock i would expect that delivered this week.

Call DVLA yourself. There is a process to correct the details on a v5 if the dealer screws up.Car does not need to be deregistered. All you need. Is the V5 and a letter from Tesla saying they made a mistake. Problem will be if they put the wrong address and the v5 has gone to that address. You may need to get it back from there. Not sure. If you call the DVLA. Hopefully they can advise. I think you have about 30 days to do it

I could be wrong but I get the feeling what's happened is that the V5 arrived at another customer's door, and they contacted Tesla to ask why on earth they've received a new V5 for a different car. The email I received last night stated that Tesla have already had the V5 transferred to them (as first owner), and that they're waiting for it to arrive so that they can make the transfer back to me.

What the DVLA are doing of course is trying to prevent some sort of dodgy deal by Tesla who could be trying to palm off a rejected car. I assume all rejected cars return to Tesla and are sold as "Demo" or something? But as someone pointed out, the mistake can be proven by the fact that I'd insured the car on day 1.

Durzel is absolutely right. DVLA response times at the moment are horrendous. I've tried the chat feature on several occasions recently chasing my wife's licence address change from months back. They make you answer all the questions to the bot, feed in all the info and then reveal that there are no people available to chat to because it's too busy.

I could be wrong but I get the feeling what's happened is that the V5 arrived at another customer's door, and they contacted Tesla to ask why on earth they've received a new V5 for a different car. The email I received last night stated that Tesla have already had the V5 transferred to them (as first owner), and that they're waiting for it to arrive so that they can make the transfer back to me.

What the DVLA are doing of course is trying to prevent some sort of dodgy deal by Tesla who could be trying to palm off a rejected car. I assume all rejected cars return to Tesla and are sold as "Demo" or something? But as someone pointed out, the mistake can be proven by the fact that I'd insured the car on day 1.

Durzel is absolutely right. DVLA response times at the moment are horrendous. I've tried the chat feature on several occasions recently chasing my wife's licence address change from months back. They make you answer all the questions to the bot, feed in all the info and then reveal that there are no people available to chat to because it's too busy.
Response times should not have been an issue so long as it was received in the 30 days but if Tesla have effectively "disposed it to trade" i.e. what a dealer does when they buy a car where by the old keeper is taken off and the car has no keeper until it is sold used then it may be too late for my suggestion.
I know a bit about this stuff but this is uncharted I'm afraid. If they have done that then they screwed up twice since they should not have done that.
I would still speak to the DVLA since if it can be un-done they are the only ones who can do it if they are willing/able to do so but your options may be limited to accept it or reject it.

Having read all of the above, I would recommend rejecting the car and getting a new one from stock. Worst case you are £100 out of pocket (I would hope not) and have a short wait time for the car. This might not be acceptable for you I don't know you personal circumstances. Telsa has messed up and you should not be chasing the DVLA to fix their mistake. P!ss poor customer service really. Getting hold of the DVLA is hard in normal times, since the pandemic the wait times are ridiculous.

I have no intention of chasing DVLA for this. It's just not practical at this moment in time.

I'm awaiting a reply from Tesla having told them that I intend to reject the car (I'm not entirely sure what that process involves). I guess they'll either try and persuade me to keep it with something doesn't add further insult to injury, or I currently have 9 similar spec cars showing in London and just hope there's one left by the time this is all sorted.