Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla registers VINS for fleet of Model 3 vehicles with dual motor – hinting at imminent launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are still saying early 2018 for SR and spring 2018 for Dual so the 19 VINs registered as Dual are most likely for Beta/RC test purposes. I expect the SR will be released first as it requires no change on the assembly line as the outer battery case is identical.

I hate to burst the bubble for those forum members that thought Dual Motor was months or quarters away but I believe that Tesla has started production for Dual Motor available to employees only. Let me connect the dots...

#1 Dual Motor schematics “appear” on new configurator and leaked to the public. I’ve been invited and can access the configurator but I can’t see the schematic because Dual Motor isn’t available to me yet. Conclusion: employee with option for dual motor leaked the pic.
#2 AWD VINs are being registered already. Sure they could be release candidate VINs but I believe RC phase is over and Tesla will not be going through separate RC phase for every variation. The production line works. Body panels fit. No need for them to restart RCs
#3 Franz is already driving a new Model 3 with red calipers and new logo on the trunk. This is likely to be the DPL version. Franz showing off the Model 3 • r/teslamotors Franz is C suite management. He got the his RWD Model 3 in the first full production batch. Not a RC. Field testing is much below his pay grade. This AWD P is the real deal and has personal California plates and not Tesla MFG plates.

Reactions: Got-EMF
I hate to burst the bubble for those forum members that thought Dual Motor was months or quarters away but I believe that Tesla has started production for Dual Motor available to employees only. Let me connect the dots...

#1 Dual Motor schematics “appear” on new configurator and leaked to the public. I’ve been invited and can access the configurator but I can’t see the schematic because Dual Motor isn’t available to me yet. Conclusion: employee with option for dual motor leaked the pic.
#2 AWD VINs are being registered already. Sure they could be release candidate VINs but I believe RC phase is over and Tesla will not be going through separate RC phase for every variation. The production line works. Body panels fit. No need for them to restart RCs
#3 Franz is already driving a new Model 3 with red calipers and new logo on the trunk. This is likely to be the DPL version. Franz showing off the Model 3 • r/teslamotors Franz is C suite management. He got the his RWD Model 3 in the first full production batch. Not a RC. Field testing is much below his pay grade. This AWD P is the real deal and has personal California plates and not Tesla MFG plates.

Tesla Model S owner and first-day (3/31/16) line waiter Model 3 Reservation. My delivery estimator places my AWD Model 3 at June-August 2018. I would love it if they moved up the AWD availability but realistically I doubt I will even get my AWD Model 3 by June. I also need to consider the timing of the availability of the Performance Model 3 as well.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure someone grabbed that image because 1) the asset is already online and 2) the URL is easily guessable.

In the configurator, the URL for the current image is:

https://static-assets.tesla.com/share/tesla_design_studio_assets/MODEL3/UI/rwd.png?&version=0.0.23

Simply changing "rwd.png" to "awd.png" loads the AWD image.

Try this:

https://static-assets.tesla.com/share/tesla_design_studio_assets/MODEL3/UI/awd.png?&version=0.0.23

Does anyone think the dual motor version will improve the cold weather battery heating on the Model 3? If they were to use both motors to heat the battery instead of just one maybe that would reduce the wait times when charging. One can hope...

FWIW, I'm pretty sure someone grabbed that image because 1) the asset is already online and 2) the URL is easily guessable.

In the configurator, the URL for the current image is:

https://static-assets.tesla.com/share/tesla_design_studio_assets/MODEL3/UI/rwd.png?&version=0.0.23

Simply changing "rwd.png" to "awd.png" loads the AWD image.

Try this:

https://static-assets.tesla.com/share/tesla_design_studio_assets/MODEL3/UI/awd.png?&version=0.0.23
Tried a few variations (you can omit the tail end after the “.png”) of that yesterday, in the hopes of finding the 'P' version. No luck...

I found the P version!!! /s

upload_2018-1-21_10-54-29.png

This is a first though.

T-E-S-L-A badging on the back.

At least they found a way to use the ≡

tesla-model-3-performance-rear-badge-logo.jpg

20 inch wheels and red brake calipers?

Is this indicative of performance?
Yep That’s Franz’ new car. He got his RWD Model 3 in the 1st 50 off the line (not release candidate). He’s number 2 at Tesla, just below Elon. He is NOT driving a preproduction car to work out the kinks. That’s way below his job description. This is the real deal.

Yep That’s Franz’ new car. He got his RWD Model 3 in the 1st 50 off the line (not release candidate). He’s number 2 at Tesla, just below Elon. He is NOT driving a preproduction car to work out the kinks. That’s way below his job description. This is the real deal.

He likely just customized his car. We have no evidence that the AWD/P cars have going through homologation, so they couldn't have been registered and have normal plates. (They would have manufacturer plates.)

If they had bothered to get the VIN it would be easier to put this to bed. (After all the plates on it are the same ones that were on his car way back when he got one of the first Model 3s.)

• Disagree
Reactions: Brokedoc
He likely just customized his car. We have no evidence that the AWD/P cars have going through homologation, so they couldn't have been registered and have normal plates. (They would have manufacturer plates.)

If they had bothered to get the VIN it would be easier to put this to bed. (After all the plates on it are the same ones that were on his car way back when he got one of the first Model 3s.)
Franz isn’t some teenage tuner that’s tweaking and testing. He’s one notch under Elon and makes big decisions. He wants the 3 to be the best car possible and if he thinks the car looks better with Tesla spelled out on the trunk, he won’t buy an aftermarket and put it on his trunk. He’s gonna change the production line and make all cars have what he thinks looks the best.

Franz isn’t some teenage tuner that’s tweaking and testing. He’s one notch under Elon and makes big decisions. He wants the 3 to be the best car possible and if he thinks the car looks better with Tesla spelled out on the trunk, he won’t buy an aftermarket and put it on his trunk. He’s gonna change the production line and make all cars have what he thinks looks the best.

I love the look of TESLA on the back. Appears to be the same rear emblem used on the 2020 Roadster.

Re: Franz's car, either this is a newer red Model 3, or he has made some modifications to the calipers and rear badge. I've attached photos of his Model 3 from the Motortrend sneak peak feature taken right before the delivery event.

Attachments

• Tesla-Model-3-side-profile.jpg
    Tesla-Model-3-side-profile.jpg
    849.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Tesla-Model-3-rear-three-quarter.jpg
    Tesla-Model-3-rear-three-quarter.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 50