Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla registers VINS for fleet of Model 3 vehicles with dual motor – hinting at imminent launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a first though.

T-E-S-L-A badging on the back.

At least they found a way to use the ≡ .....

tesla-model-3-performance-rear-badge-logo.jpg

Couldn't help but notice the car still has appended some testing equipment on the roof there. Also notice that the license plate was issued in August with a 2018 vehicle sticker on it. So was the plate maybe transferred from his Model 3 first production car he had back in August 2017 (he had that vehicle at Seaside for the Monterey Week Owners event in August at that point with just the temporary tag on it)?

Might just be the lighting when the photos were taken but I also have thought these latest photos of a Red Multi Coat vehicle (above) seems to be a deeper darker red than the color of the car from 2017.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
Franz isn’t some teenage tuner that’s tweaking and testing. He’s one notch under Elon and makes big decisions. He wants the 3 to be the best car possible and if he thinks the car looks better with Tesla spelled out on the trunk, he won’t buy an aftermarket and put it on his trunk. He’s gonna change the production line and make all cars have what he thinks looks the best.

But what if Elon doesn't like his ideas? Or the rest of the designer team or other executives (whoever is involved in the design process). Even the Chief Designer doesn't have all the power over the design.

That said, what does it say about the company when it's chief designer doesn't like their product and goes on to modify it on his own?

Does anyone know when first Model 3 VIN’s were registered? Seeing there have been 18 AWD VIN’s registered makes me more optimistic than just the above photos. I do love the new trunk lid badge though! Hopefully that makes its way into production.

• Helpful
Reactions: e-FTW
I hate to burst the bubble for those forum members that thought Dual Motor was months or quarters away but I believe that Tesla has started production for Dual Motor available to employees only. Let me connect the dots...

#1 Dual Motor schematics “appear” on new configurator and leaked to the public. I’ve been invited and can access the configurator but I can’t see the schematic because Dual Motor isn’t available to me yet. Conclusion: employee with option for dual motor leaked the pic.
#2 AWD VINs are being registered already. Sure they could be release candidate VINs but I believe RC phase is over and Tesla will not be going through separate RC phase for every variation. The production line works. Body panels fit. No need for them to restart RCs
#3 Franz is already driving a new Model 3 with red calipers and new logo on the trunk. This is likely to be the DPL version. Franz showing off the Model 3 • r/teslamotors Franz is C suite management. He got the his RWD Model 3 in the first full production batch. Not a RC. Field testing is much below his pay grade. This AWD P is the real deal and has personal California plates and not Tesla MFG plates.
Yet, Elon for years had a Model S that was changing on a daily basis to test everything from autopilot to...who knows?