Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla registration in ACT, transfer to NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

Loving my Model 3 and was able to convince my cousin to buy one too (i've been letting everyone drive the car in the hopes they will consider getting one! it's the best car I've ever owned). He is lucky enough to have his family live in ACT while he works mostly in NSW. He is back and forth between ACT and NSW frequently. It obviously makes sense for him to register the car at his family home in ACT to avoid paying the stamp duty.
The thing is his drivers license is NSW and eventually when he moves to Sydney (about 6 months from now) he won't be going in to ACT nearly as often and will likely transfer the registration to wherever he rents in Sydney.

We looked on ACT website and it says all he needs to register in ACT is an address there (Making it easier for people to do business with the ACT Government), an ACT license isn't needed.

Is there any complications with registering the car in ACT and moving the rego a few months later to NSW?
He isn't planning on getting an ACT license, is this OK? or will he need to get one again?
The car will be garaged in ACT most of the time at first, but when he moves to Sydney it will be mostly in NSW. Would this be a problem in transferring rego? Would he then need to pay stamp duty for NSW?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I thought about doing it when I bought my S on 2016. Decided it was too much trouble, but I’m curious if you can make it work.
It seems to be a loophole for electric cars that people aren’t taking advantage of.

I thought about doing it when I bought my S on 2016. Decided it was too much trouble, but I’m curious if you can make it work.
It seems to be a loophole for electric cars that people aren’t taking advantage of.

I guess it could be used as a loophole too, but in this case I believe it is all legit.
If you were to use it as a loophole I suppose all you would need is an address in ACT. Wonder if anyone has done this. Doubt they would be willing to admit to it though.

I guess it could be used as a loophole too, but in this case I believe it is all legit.
If you were to use it as a loophole I suppose all you would need is an address in ACT. Wonder if anyone has done this. Doubt they would be willing to admit to it though.

It's easy to do any you just provide a garaging address, no actual proof required. Especially useful if you do a lot of work in ACT like I do and just rent an apartment for half the year.

You'll want to move the rego at some point when you are back in NSW because the registration fees in ACT are higher. As long as your insurance has the appropriate risk address where you will be garaging the vehicle it should not be an issue from an insurance standpoint.

Also you don't need the actual vehicle to get the plates. All you need is the rego form, tax invoice and the TAN number. Once you have that you can go into any access Canberra office, walk out with the plates and then bring them to Tesla on the day of delivery.

• Love
Reactions: jaykaye