Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLA Registration Issues. Help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was delivered on 8/2. There were multiple issues with it, so I scheduled a service appointment with the Las Vegas SC. They took my car on 8/17 and gave me an ICE loaner. As of today (8/30) my car is still with them and no one can tell me when I will get it back.

My temporary plates expire on 9/2. After reading some horror stories about registration, I went in on 8/25 to check the status of my plates and registration. The Delivery Advisor(DA) told me to wait until 1 or 2 days before my temporary plates expire, and to contact her if I don't see anything.

I contacted her today (8/30) and after a few hours, she calls me to tell me that the third party that is registering their vehicles is experience "extreme processing delays" and that she can send the Electronic Dealers Report of Sale (EDRS) and I can register the car myself. I paid TESLA the registration fee when I picked up the car ($1,400) and now I will need to front another $1,400 to pay the DMV; TESLA will send me a refund check in a few weeks for the original registration fee that I paid on 8/2. It's a bit inconvenient, but I guess I have no choice if I don't want the plates to expire.

I follow the DMV link and start the process, and the DMV site is asking me questions that I don't know the answer to. I text the DA if she knew the answers to these questions, and her answer to me is "if you'd rather wait for a copy to arrive you can, (the answers to my questions) will be listed in your registration packet". The "copy" she is referring to was sent out in the mail today, so I am hoping that I receive it before my plates expire (in 2 days). But what happens if it doesn't and I can't register my car? It feels like after she emailed me the EDRS, she stopped making herself available to answer questions.

It really irks me that I paid for and am making payments on a car that has been in the shop for as long as I was driving it. TESLA is delivering cars that are incomplete and full of QC issues. There's nothing I can do about that part since it is in the shop, but since my DA is no longer responsive, does anyone have any recommendations on how I can solve this expiring temporary plate situation without letting it expire? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

What issues needed addressing by the service center? What questions can’t you answer about the registration? Maybe someone here can answer them. The registration situation in Nevada sounds absolutely horrible. A bunch of you NV owners should start putting in escalated tickets in on the Tesla website, tweet Elon about it and even contact Electrek to see if they’ll post something about this so it gets more attention and hopefully gets resolved.

Good lord. Would they tell you what it was?

Some leather piece behind the chrome that lines the door, i believe. It was over the phone and I am not familiar with the car's individual parts, so I am not 100% sure.

It's extremely frustrating to continue making payments for a car that has sat in the Service Center for more days than in my garage. I'm doing my best to not yell at anyone.

Some leather piece behind the chrome that lines the door, i believe. It was over the phone and I am not familiar with the car's individual parts, so I am not 100% sure.

It's extremely frustrating to continue making payments for a car that has sat in the Service Center for more days than in my garage. I'm doing my best to not yell at anyone.

Yeah. DId they give you a Tesla loaner?