Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Registration with TitleGirl

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sold my Tesla Model Y unregistered to a private buyer.

Hes having issues with the registration as TitleGirl people asked for the bill of sale with red stamp on it. Bill of sale that I provided was Notorized and according to the state of Texas.

Title girl office says "I need to get the title on my name and then I can sell the vehicle to someone else" as per the buyer.

Has anyone else gotton issues like this?

Need help

Sold my Tesla Model Y unregistered to a private buyer.

Hes having issues with the registration as TitleGirl people asked for the bill of sale with red stamp on it. Bill of sale that I provided was Notorized and according to the state of Texas.

Title girl office says "I need to get the title on my name and then I can sell the vehicle to someone else" as per the buyer.

Has anyone else gotton issues like this?

Need help

Can you actually "sell a vehicle, unregistered" if you are not a dealer? I dont know, but in CA in order to sell a vehicle you would have to have title to it, unless you are a dealer or something.

Texas State Title Regulations​

It is illegal to sell a car without a title in Texas. Texan law requires an official title for all vehicle sales. This ensures that the seller actually owns the vehicle they are selling.

Reactions: TXDawg
Is the title in your name or a banks name?

Im not sure what this OP is doing, its none of our business, but they posted here about title of this vehicle earlier (after trying to sell the reservation etc)

I just received the registration packet on MYLR. And i was wandering can I get it registered on my wives name ? I am in Texas and the documents are on my name

That was Jan 11th. How the vehicle could still be unregistered, etc, is between this OP and whomever they sold it to.

Im not sure what this OP is doing, its none of our business, but they posted here about title of this vehicle earlier (after trying to sell the reservation etc)

That was Jan 11th. How the vehicle could still be unregistered, etc, is between this OP and whomever they sold it to.

But he is asking for advice so we need more info.

Can you actually "sell a vehicle, unregistered" if you are not a dealer? I dont know, but in CA in order to sell a vehicle you would have to have title to it, unless you are a dealer or something.

Texas State Title Regulations​

It is illegal to sell a car without a title in Texas. Texan law requires an official title for all vehicle sales. This ensures that the seller actually owns the vehicle they are selling.
Got it, so I have to pay Taxes and get the title before I sell the car? It $6000 for the Taxes. One of the reasons it was unregistered. What do you suggest

Do I have to pay Taxes and get the title before I sell it to anyone? Since it’s already sold what would you suggest?

I would suggest to you that you didnt actually sell the car, because you cant, per the brief information that is on the internet (in bold):

texas title.PNG

So, you sold a vehicle to someone who cant title it in their name. I would suggest following whatever advice the title authorities are giving you, which you already stated in the first post. "You need to get the title in your name before you can sell it to someone else". You didnt sell it, because you couldnt.

That is true I tried to sell the registration earlier. Since It took already more then 11 months for the delivery I bought another car for my needs. Car is already paid in full but unregistered and no title on my name. Sold the vehicle with 350 miles on it with Notorized Bill of sale and the packet that I got from tesla with full paid invoice and all the other documents for registration. Buyer cannot get it registered on his name. Do I have to get it Title on my name and pay Taxes for the buyer before he can get it transferred to his name or Can he get it done himself? Thankyou

Got it, so I have to pay Taxes and get the title before I sell the car? It $6000 for the Taxes. One of the reasons it was unregistered. What do you suggest
I suggest that you call the state of Texas and ask how to register a car that you bought from Tesla. Protip: there is even a TMC thread of self-registration for TX.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
That is true I tried to sell the registration earlier. Since It took already more then 11 months for the delivery I bought another car for my needs. Car is already paid in full but unregistered and no title on my name. Sold the vehicle with 350 miles on it with Notorized Bill of sale and the packet that I got from tesla with full paid invoice and all the other documents for registration. Buyer cannot get it registered on his name. Do I have to get it Title on my name and pay Taxes for the buyer before he can get it transferred to his name or Can he get it done himself? Thankyou
You would be paying your sales tax not his. After you get a title, then you can transfer it over to the new buyer and they will have to also pay sales tax.

Yes you will need to pay taxes and get the title before you can sell it to anyone.
Thank you
I suggest that you call the state of Texas and ask how to register a car that you bought from Tesla. Protip: there is even a TMC thread of self-registration for TX.

thanks

OP, what you are trying to do is to resell the car without registering it in your name (to avoid paying sales tax and registration/title fees). Only a dealer is allowed to do that, otherwise anyone could run a car flipping business from their driveway.

So, you need to register and title it in your name first, then transfer to the new buyer.