TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla reimbursing home charger installation cost?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by ponzu, Apr 23, 2018.

1. ponzu

ponzu Member

This sounds too good to be true and I believe I would have seen this by now in the forums, but I will share nonetheless.

On my unsuccessful trip to the Fashion Island showroom, where their Model 3 I was scheduled to sit it -- yes, you schedule a test drive of a Model S, but a sit-in in Model 3, unreal! -- mysteriously disappeared right before my arrival, their salesperson told me several amazing things, some of which have already been proved untrue, and the rest I don't want to dig too deep into for fear of losing my faith in car salespeople.

Among other things, he said Tesla reimburses the cost of the home charger installation. He said his father got a Model 3, paid $450 to have a charger installed, and Tesla mailed him a $450 check. This came as a pleasant surprise to the salesperson and his dad. The salesperson had not been told by Tesla to mention this perk and had not been telling his customers about it, but now he is since it happened right in front of his eyes.

Any truth to any of it? Any theories as to what may have actually happened other than the salesperson trying too hard and making stuff up?

2. drawfour

drawfour Member

You have faith in car salepeople?

• Funny x 4
  3. arcus

arcus Active Member

As long as you place an order on February 30th.

• Funny x 5
    • Informative x 1
  4. TT97

TT97 Active Member

LADWP provides rebates for Level II installation. Don't know about Orange County (or if his father was even behind the orange curtain), but, most likely that would be the rebate.

5. TT97

TT97 Active Member

6. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I definitely did not receive anything from Tesla on home charging.

7. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Tesla does not. Austin energy will pay 1/2 (with terms and conditions)

8. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

You can add this to the list of stupid things Tesla employees have said. That thread is around here somewhere.

• Like x 2
  9. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

#9 SMAlset, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    I know Tesla has some rebate program on the chargers for businesses. Maybe the guy's father had an HPWC (he might have referred to as home charger) installed at his business?

Tesla launches a new ‘Workplace Charging’ program to supply free charging stations to businesses

10. RayW

RayW Joy Riding

SoCal Edison sent out checks for about that much to EV owners last year... the father may have been confused as to why the check showed up in his mail box

• Like x 1
  11. ponzu

ponzu Member

Thanks all.

12. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Re-member

This is an actual ad shown to me yesterday.

april-31st.png

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  13. 9erDog

9erDog Member

• Informative x 1
  14. ponzu

ponzu Member

15. Need

Need Active Member

16. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

There has also been a 30% Federal rebate available for the past several years for installing a personal charging station in your residence. Last year this was reinstituted at the last minute to extend it to 2017 installs. It may happen again in 2018, so save your receipts.
    You are also eligible for a $2,500 rebate check from the State of California for buying an approved EV.
    If you buy a Model X and own a company, you can also take Section 179 deductions as well as acellerated deprecation for additional tax savings.

Lots of ways that governments are encouraging EV purchases.