Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla reimbursing home charger installation cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This sounds too good to be true and I believe I would have seen this by now in the forums, but I will share nonetheless.

On my unsuccessful trip to the Fashion Island showroom, where their Model 3 I was scheduled to sit it -- yes, you schedule a test drive of a Model S, but a sit-in in Model 3, unreal! -- mysteriously disappeared right before my arrival, their salesperson told me several amazing things, some of which have already been proved untrue, and the rest I don't want to dig too deep into for fear of losing my faith in car salespeople.

Among other things, he said Tesla reimburses the cost of the home charger installation. He said his father got a Model 3, paid $450 to have a charger installed, and Tesla mailed him a $450 check. This came as a pleasant surprise to the salesperson and his dad. The salesperson had not been told by Tesla to mention this perk and had not been telling his customers about it, but now he is since it happened right in front of his eyes.

Any truth to any of it? Any theories as to what may have actually happened other than the salesperson trying too hard and making stuff up?

This sounds too good to be true and I believe I would have seen this by now in the forums, but I will share nonetheless.

On my unsuccessful trip to the Fashion Island showroom, where their Model 3 I was scheduled to sit it -- yes, you schedule a test drive of a Model S, but a sit-in in Model 3, unreal! -- mysteriously disappeared right before my arrival, their salesperson told me several amazing things, some of which have already been proved untrue, and the rest I don't want to dig too deep into for fear of losing my faith in car salespeople.

Among other things, he said Tesla reimburses the cost of the home charger installation. He said his father got a Model 3, paid $450 to have a charger installed, and Tesla mailed him a $450 check. This came as a pleasant surprise to the salesperson and his dad. The salesperson had not been told by Tesla to mention this perk and had not been telling his customers about it, but now he is since it happened right in front of his eyes.

Any truth to any of it? Any theories as to what may have actually happened other than the salesperson trying too hard and making stuff up?

I know Tesla has some rebate program on the chargers for businesses. Maybe the guy's father had an HPWC (he might have referred to as home charger) installed at his business?

Tesla launches a new ‘Workplace Charging’ program to supply free charging stations to businesses

Last edited:
As long as you place an order on February 30th.

This is an actual ad shown to me yesterday.

april-31st.png

There has also been a 30% Federal rebate available for the past several years for installing a personal charging station in your residence. Last year this was reinstituted at the last minute to extend it to 2017 installs. It may happen again in 2018, so save your receipts.
You are also eligible for a $2,500 rebate check from the State of California for buying an approved EV.
If you buy a Model X and own a company, you can also take Section 179 deductions as well as acellerated deprecation for additional tax savings.

Lots of ways that governments are encouraging EV purchases.