Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla relaunches lobbying effort in Texas.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, I missed that one. It's an example of Tesla not just running test drives out of the galleries, but in other locations near the major cities where the demographics are favorable. There were weekend test drive events in Lakeway and Bee Cave near Austin this summer.
Yes! Tesla sends their emissaries once a month to Tarrant County and alternate between Southlake & Fort Worth. They have also been good about offering drive events at the DFW Solar Tour and some other one-offs to offer variety in their events.

The more people wanting to buy Teslas in Texas the more they will hate the dealership lobby and other car manufacturers.

That's what I'm thinking too. I'll admit I have never been to Texas nor have I ever met any Texans, but if they are anything like I imagine, I don't think they are the kind of people who take it too well when they they are told they can't buy an American engineered and American made car by some high-handed "betters".

That's what I'm thinking too. I'll admit I have never been to Texas nor have I ever met any Texans, but if they are anything like I imagine, I don't think they are the kind of people who take it too well when they they are told they can't buy an American engineered and American made car by some high-handed "betters".
I suspect you have met some Texans, they look like any other americans. Not sure how you would tell them apart. Looking for cowboy boots and hats won't help

http://http://www.bizjournals.com/d...-will-have-more-test-drive-events.html?page=2

The California-car maker has found a work-around that allows it to host more special test drive events for Tesla owners and prospective customers, so long as Tesla (Nasdaq: TSLA) gets the proper permitting.

Tesla has started hosting four such events per month, per gallery. Dallas has a gallery at NorthPark Center but the actual events are hosted off-site.

“Our goal in the absence of being able to work with the legislature is to essentially take out a permit every day,” Witt said.

What's the full and correct link? I can't find the article.

http://http://www.bizjournals.com/d...-will-have-more-test-drive-events.html?page=2

The California-car maker has found a work-around that allows it to host more special test drive events for Tesla owners and prospective customers, so long as Tesla (Nasdaq: TSLA) gets the proper permitting.

Tesla has started hosting four such events per month, per gallery. Dallas has a gallery at NorthPark Center but the actual events are hosted off-site.

“Our goal in the absence of being able to work with the legislature is to essentially take out a permit every day,” Witt said.

I guess I don't quite understand the laws and current restrictions that Tesla operates under? I was able to request a test drive online, got a call from Tesla to set up a time, and then drove to the Dallas showroom...scan my ID, accept the liability agreement, and walked straight out to the car.

I guess I don't quite understand the laws and current restrictions that Tesla operates under? I was able to request a test drive online, got a call from Tesla to set up a time, and then drove to the Dallas showroom...scan my ID, accept the liability agreement, and walked straight out to the car.
What you couldn't do is walk into the Gallery and get a drive. There has to be the call to California or Denver that subsequently offers you the drive -- and the folks in the Gallery can tell you anything you want to know about the car except for what it costs and how to buy it (window sticker and teslamotors.com address notwithstanding).

What you couldn't do is walk into the Gallery and get a drive. There has to be the call to California or Denver that subsequently offers you the drive -- and the folks in the Gallery can tell you anything you want to know about the car except for what it costs and how to buy it (window sticker and teslamotors.com address notwithstanding).

Ahh gotcha, that makes sense (it makes sense but then again it doesn't, if you know what I mean). That's exactly how it happened. I scheduled the test drive with someone in CA, did the test drive in Dallas, and then the Tesla rep just gave the phone to a guy in CA and he took my deposit/order over the phone.

Ahh gotcha, that makes sense (it makes sense but then again it doesn't, if you know what I mean). That's exactly how it happened. I scheduled the test drive with someone in CA, did the test drive in Dallas, and then the Tesla rep just gave the phone to a guy in CA and he took my deposit/order over the phone.

Have to love free market principals in action:). Hopefully Tesla wins this round with the auto dealer funded legislature.

For Texans reading this thread, please remember to go to Support Tesla in Texas if you haven't already done so. Follow the "tell your legislator" or "take action" link to enter your address and it will send a message to your representative and state senator asking them to support HB 1653/SB 639. Ask your friends to do the same. We need to generate large numbers of emails to counter what the legislators are hearing from the auto dealers in their districts.