Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Releases $2,000 Model Y Acceleration Boost, Shaves Half Second

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
comments like this make me think i should have just done the upgrade to the MYP

Depends on your priorities. 0.5 seconds faster to 60 at the cost of heavier summer-only tires, $8k, stiffer ride and lower range? If being first off the line is the driver (it was in my youth, so I understand that), you need to ask how many times would you win in a MYP when you would have lost in a boosted AWD. There are not many cars you'll encounter that split the difference between a 3.5 second and 4.0 second 0-60. At that point, reaction time likely wins the race.

Last edited:
I have been curious about the difference between the boosted LR and the P. I was on the fence but opted to order the P. Tonight I did some digging in the Dragy leaderboards and found these.

1. MY LR with Boost: 0-60 in 3.9s as stated by Tesla (with 1 ft. rollout). This is Bearded Tesla Guy's Dragy graph, where he did it in 4.08s. He also did a video on the boost. As I recall, the road seemed a bit bumpy in his video so I have no doubt 3.9s is possible. I think he also did a couple of runs in the video.
IMG_0124.jpeg

2. MYP: 0-60 in 3.5s as stated by Tesla (with 1 ft. rollout). Here is a graph I found from someone on the leaderboard with a MYP. He did it in 3.46s.
IMG_0126.jpeg

Comparing them side by side, the initial acceleration is higher with the MYP and more sustained. With the swapped rear motor, I would expect it to have a bit more power at higher speeds too but that's just my speculation (maybe someone else knows). I also hope there may be something more in store for the MYP in the future, but we shall see...

Depends on your priorities. 0.5 seconds faster to 60 at the cost of heavier summer-only tires, $8k, stiffer ride and lower range? If being first off the line is the driver (it was in my youth, so I understand that), you need to ask how many times would you win in a MYP when you would have lost in a boosted AWD. There are not many cars you'll encounter that split the difference between a 3.5 second and 4.0 second 0-60. At that point, reaction time likely wins the race.

Exactly, I had the performance model booked and ended up going with the long range instead. The decider was the induction all season wheels vs the uberturbine summers. The other factor is the long range w/ upgrade will snap your head back nearly as well when already driving. Just not as quick off the line

Anyone going to buy the acceleration boost for the MYP if or when it becomes available? I am guessing that both motors were sandbagged on specs at launch, and the AWD variant is now showing its true colors.

2.95 secs would be my guess.

What an easy way to make some extra $$$. We always knew this was the case with Insane and Ludicrous modes on the Model S. However, it was only made available to the P-spec variants at that time.

Anyone going to buy the acceleration boost for the MYP if or when it becomes available? I am guessing that both motors were sandbagged on specs at launch, and the AWD variant is now showing its true colors.

2.95 secs would be my guess.

What an easy way to make some extra $$$. We always knew this was the case with Insane and Ludicrous modes on the Model S. However, it was only made available to the P-spec variants at that time.

bundled with track mode ;)

Reactions: Tedkidd
I’m hoping to do the performance upgrade soon. I was going to go for the MYP but the 10k added price was just a little too much. I’m just glad they have the performance upgrade for the boost. Any chance Tesla would come out with an added performance boost later on down the road?

I suspect Tesla has “sandbagged” at least another .5 seconds for the MYP and LR AWD Y as a hedge against any future competitors plan to “out spec” Tesla. So with some future OTA update Tesla will remain King of the Hill. Weather or not Tesla does it for FREE of charge for it is the 64 million dollar question.

Reactions: Stach
I kept flip/flopping on this decision. Hate paying 10k for it, but after test driving both the performance won out.

I didn't want it to be slower than my 3, and wasn't confident the boost would get it there.

Also, changed my mind on Color, so the 7k price on FSD would go away (which ends up only saving $1k anyway because of car price drop)

Anybody want my 2019 reservation? White/white, FSD dual motor...

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Is there any way of knowing if a car has the AB through the menus? Im in the middle of an overnight test drive with a MY LR and it isn’t stuck in chill mode which is great but I can’t seem to see anything in the menus that indicates it has the AB. Car seems plenty fast.

Is there any way of knowing if a car has the AB through the menus? Im in the middle of an overnight test drive with a MY LR and it isn’t stuck in chill mode which is great but I can’t seem to see anything in the menus that indicates it has the AB. Car seems plenty fast.
It's really easy - check the setting for the acceleration mode. If it has 'chill' and 'sport' it has AB. It will show 'chill' and 'standard' if it has not.

Reactions: burn1010
It's really easy - check the setting for the acceleration mode. If it has 'chill' and 'sport' it has AB. It will show 'chill' and 'standard' if it has not.

Thanks. It doesn’t have AB which I kind of figured because from ready this forum the standard LR is a little soft off the line and the AB helps that. I did notice that acceleration from a standstill was not violent.

another Q. Does AB “stay with the car” to 2nd owner?