Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Releases $2,000 Model Y Acceleration Boost, Shaves Half Second

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. It doesn’t have AB which I kind of figured because from ready this forum the standard LR is a little soft off the line and the AB helps that. I did notice that acceleration from a standstill was not violent.

another Q. Does AB “stay with the car” to 2nd owner?

Even with AB, it's soft off the line compared to a performance. The 0.5 second 0-60 reduction in the MYP is mostly in the first 2 seconds. BTW, the MYP feels soft off the line compared to a M3P. The near constant acceleration from 0-45, instead of a neck snapping 0-10 saves on a lot of tire wear.

Reactions: Tedkidd
Even with AB, it's soft off the line compared to a performance. The 0.5 second 0-60 reduction in the MYP is mostly in the first 2 seconds. BTW, the MYP feels soft off the line compared to a M3P. The near constant acceleration from 0-45, instead of a neck snapping 0-10 saves on a lot of tire wear.

yeah I agree, I drove my friends model 3P and noticed it pulls way harder off the line. Makes sense being that the Y is heavier and less aerodynamic

Reactions: Tedkidd
After driving both the Y and the YP it feels like the Y is a lot less snappy than my 3dm, while the YP doesn't feel a markedly faster.
I like the driving feel of my 3 better, and would like to be equally excited about driving either car.
And looking at the Y boost numbers I decided I'd probably be best served getting the YP.

Wish they offered a double boost for $4k.........

Of course, get whatever you want. Just don't forget about the bogus 0.2 second spec penalty with the non-performance Teslas (no rollout). The MYP is really only 0.5 faster to 60. That's a lot, but not the apparent 0.7 second delta.
From many draggy and vbox posts...
MYP vs AWD w/ AB vs AWD
With rollout, 3.5 vs 4.0 vs 4.6
W/o rollout, 3.7 vs 4.2 vs 4.8

Talked to my ranger yesterday... I was curious what the actual change was if you pay the $2k. Said it was just a software update to the drive system. He did say there is zero differences between the long range and the performance drive.....just a different program for the drive. Claimed the brakes are the same just astetically different. I'm still on the fence buying this update.

wow, so much bad info from the tech.
The Performance rotors are thicker.
You can also look under the car and see the sticker showing the 980 and 990 motors.
I think in the Y the front brakes are the same just that in the performance they are red. The rear brakes are different. The rear motor (specific the inverter) is different between them. The performance has a "bigger" inverter (980). In the beginning some AWD LR came with the performance motor. Hence technically they can be upgraded to performance level, although Tesla does not offer that kind of upgrade. The current AWD LR come with the 990 hence they cannot be upgraded due to hw limitations. So Tesla offer the AB to give something that can be applied to all AWD LR but not as good as a full performance model.

I think in the Y the front brakes are the same just that in the performance they are red. The rear brakes are different. The rear motor (specific the inverter) is different between them. The performance has a "bigger" inverter (980). In the beginning some AWD LR came with the performance motor. Hence technically they can be upgraded to performance level, although Tesla does not offer that kind of upgrade. The current AWD LR come with the 990 hence they cannot be upgraded due to hw limitations. So Tesla offer the AB to give something that can be applied to all AWD LR but not as good as a full performance model.
Yeah, you're correct. I read here the MYP rotors were thicker but further searching shows them both to be 25mm thick on LR and P model Ys.

Just went through a test driving grand tour over the last week or so. Took out the M3P, MYP and a LR with boost. First things first, the LR with boost is very fast, but still feels significantly slower than the two Perf models. It isn't even close. As for the M3P / MYP comparison, the M3P definitely pulled harder, but it's closer than some would make it seem.