Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla releases big, new software update with Disney+, Car Wash Mode, remain connected to wifi, and more - 2021.24.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People complain about the paint and then take their car to automated car washes. :confused:
I've never complained about the paint, but...two things:

1) Not automated. The issue here in New York is that our Hand Wash places have the driver exit the car and then a belt rolls the car through as real live humans wash the car at various stations. This reqiures the attendant at the car wash to know how to engage Tow Mode after the car is placed on the conveyor. It's very rare that they have a clue.

2) You live in California. You can wash your car at home all year round. Try doing that in the middle winter when it's snowing, 30 degrees and there's salt/sand stuck to your car that needs to be removed.

2) You live in California. You can wash your car at home all year round. Try doing that in the middle winter when it's snowing, 30 degrees and there's salt/sand stuck to your car that needs to be removed.

Ahh yes, the good old days. In most large population centers in California (and elsewhere in the SW), washing your car at home with a hose is forbidden. We're in a serious drought here.

"No rinse" washes are allowed, as are commercial car washes (who already are required to use water recycling measures).

The initial post title says hotspot mode. The referenced article mentions a feature that is not what I think hot spot mode would be. That would be my wifi devices connecting to the cars wifi to use the LTE connection the car has. Not allowing it to connect to my phones hotspot.

Reactions: APotatoGod
So I read the article to mean that it's not a real hotspot that my kids can connect to? It has something to do with connecting your car to your phone? Seems useless if you have premium connectivity. Perhaps I read it wrong.

Yeah, that was a bit confusing. I thought the update allowed for the car to be a personal hotspot, similar to what I had in my Bolt.

This update gives you the option to keep WiFi on in the car when driving. Up until now, I didn't even know it turned off WiFi, but I just confirmed it. The icon switches from WiFi to LTE as soon as the car goes into D or R. So, now we can choose to use our phones as a hotspot.

Yeah, that was a bit confusing. I thought the update allowed for the car to be a personal hotspot, similar to what I had in my Bolt.

This update gives you the option to keep WiFi on in the car when driving. Up until now, I didn't even know it turned off WiFi, but I just confirmed it. The icon switches from WiFi to LTE as soon as the car goes into D or R. So, now we can choose to use our phones as a hotspot.
You could always use a phone as a hotspot. The only thing you need to do was reconnect as soon as you shift into D or R. I'm not sure what this really brings.

1) Not automated. The issue here in New York is that our Hand Wash places have the driver exit the car and then a belt rolls the car through as real live humans wash the car at various stations. This reqiures the attendant at the car wash to know how to engage Tow Mode after the car is placed on the conveyor. It's very rare that they have a clue.

One of my neighbors washed his 2006 GMC Savana all year around here in NY 😂. Also, you can stay in the car while it goes through the conveyor belt. I have done it a few times in Merrick and Freeport.

You could always use a phone as a hotspot. The only thing you need to do was reconnect as soon as you shift into D or R. I'm not sure what this really brings.
With this update, it simply means you won’t have to reconnect each time you shift into gear. It’ll say connector to whatever hotspot or wifi until it loses signal.

With this update, it simply means you won’t have to reconnect each time you shift into gear. It’ll say connector to whatever hotspot or wifi until it loses signal.
Yes, a very minor tweak. In fact, this used to be the way it worked back in 2015 on 6.2.

The reason this was implemented originally was ostensibly because, when leaving a WiFi connected area, the car would attempt to hold on to the WiFi access point as long as possible, even when driving away. This would cause a loss of connectivity until the WiFi access point was totally lost, at which time it would connect to 3g. So basically they are undoing this fix.

I imagine there is nobody working on the software now who was there in 2015.

Hmmm...so anybody got the update release info for everything? Really they should be focusing on M3MY cars with vision only and the ACC/Autopilot/braking vision system overall to improve the mess that it is. Pretty much useless. Again, Elon promised soon that improvements are rapidly going to be coming to Vision only cars!!

Probably why June>>later customers had to acknowledge via the online agreement that the car doesn't have radar and will have issues to be fixed in the future...well, it's the future!!!

Hmmm...so anybody got the update release info for everything? Really they should be focusing on M3MY cars with vision only and the ACC/Autopilot/braking vision system overall to improve the mess that it is. Pretty much useless. Again, Elon promised soon that improvements are rapidly going to be coming to Vision only cars!!

Probably why June>>later customers had to acknowledge via the online agreement that the car doesn't have radar and will have issues to be fixed in the future...well, it's the future!!!
I am confused about what you’re going on about. The missing features were on version 2021.4.18.10. There only two things different between vision and radar:

1 - Autosteer works up to 90MPH on radar equipped car while it’s up to 80MPH on vision only cars.

2 - The minimum distance car length is 3 on vision only car while it’s 1 on cars equipped with radar (on FSD beta 9 which is vision only, it’s currently 2)

Auto high beam is automatically engaged at night, but it can be turned off without deactivating AutoSteer.

Can you please elaborate on what else is missing?