Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Releases Info on Dual-Motor Model 3; Performance Version to Cost $78K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has released pricing and specs for the dual-motor all-wheel drive and Performance Model 3. All in, the flagship version of Tesla’s “smaller, simpler, more affordable” electric car will cost $78,000.

The Performance version will do 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds, has a top speed of 155 mph, and a 310 mile range. Tesla CEO Elon Musk tweeted that it will beat anything in its class on the track.

The Performance package will also have an option for the much anticipated white interior. The option won’t be available on the non-performance Model 3 until the end of the year. As for other new options, the dual-motor and Performance cars can be outfitted with a carbon fiber spoiler and 20-inch Performance wheels.

The normal dual motor AWD option adds $5,000 to the price tag. The car will do 0-60 mph in 4.5 seconds, has a top speed of 140 mph, and 310 miles of range.

Musk said on Twitter that the dual-motor cars will feature both an AC induction motor and a switched reluctance, partial permanent magnet motor. He said one is optimized for power and one for range. The car will continue to drive even if one of the motors fails, so drivers “don’t get stuck on side of road in potentially unsafe conditions.”

Musk has said the dual-motor cars will likely start production in July when Model 3 production hits a rate of 5,000 vehicles per week. It’s a good sign that production is ramping up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to the various head-to-head comparisons by various organizations like Road&Track, C&D, etc that prove or disprove that the Model 3 is in fact better on a track than the BMW M3 (let's throw Merc's AMG C-series in for good measure!).

But I think the Alfa Guilia is probably the real target to beat here.

Looking forward to the various head-to-head comparisons by various organizations like Road&Track, C&D, etc that prove or disprove that the Model 3 is in fact better on a track than the BMW M3

I personally look forward to the comparison to BMW M3, since I once enjoyed my 2001 BMW M3 until I bought my P85 S, and I find it ironic that the Model 3 I will be buying my wife may well be competition for today's BMW M3.

Looking forward to the various head-to-head comparisons by various organizations like Road&Track, C&D, etc that prove or disprove that the Model 3 is in fact better on a track than the BMW M3 (let's throw Merc's AMG C-series in for good measure!).

But I think the Alfa Guilia is probably the real target to beat here.

Or the next BMW 3 series. The current generation is getting 7 years old this year and will therefore be replaced by the next generation.

BMW will also add AWD, so it will be interesting to see those two compete. Right now the Giulia is the car to beat.