TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla releases new tool for people to retrieve ‘blackbox data’ after a crash

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by SucreTease, Mar 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SucreTease

SucreTease Teslarian

• Informative x 4
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Sounds like this tool is mostly for insurance companies and police departments. It doesn't include the AP data or anything from the camera's. Will be interesting though if someone copies the cable and sells a cheap version of it.

• Like x 1
  3. Ande

Ande Member

Windows ? The awful security hole from the 80s ?
    What about a Linux version ?

• Funny x 1
  4. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Wait, a grand for a CAN-USB adapter and some cables?

Cue 3rd party H/W solutions in 3...2...1...

• Like x 3
  5. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Perhaps we could have one available for the club and rent it out on a weekly basis for $$??

• Like x 4
  6. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

@jaguar36
    Agreed, assuming the data recorder unit only records during a crash event (to save memory wear), this does not seem targeted at the average owner.

7. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Hey, it is on sale for $795, and comes with a very nice looking protective case. ;)

• Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

9. scaesare

I have to admit I am a sucker for a nice case...

10. scaesare

11. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

• Informative x 3
  12. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

When @wk057 has obtained logs from a vehicle he has done so through the gateway. I’m confused as to what the purpose of the EDR is if the gateway already contains detailed vehicle logs.

13. scaesare

My take on this is that Tesla's computer(s) log a bunch of stuff, including AP data and in some cases video images. I assume this to be in an internal format. It is, in essence, performing the function of an EDR (and more).

I believe the tool allows one to get a subset of that data that conforms to a traditional EDR dataset, and transform it in to a common data format.

• Like x 1
  14. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  15. berkeley_ecar

berkeley_ecar S 90D (fully loaded) delivered 18 Mar 2017

Elektrek has a new article out about a new kit available from Tesla for connecting to the car's Restraints Control Module (RCM) to retrieve Event Data Recorder (EDR) data. Tesla provides free software and online instructions; they also sell a connection kit with all required cables.

I see two potential problems: 1) the software is for Windows (though one could likely still use it under Parallels Desktop on the Mac); 2) the connection kit is being offered for the eye-watering price of $995 (but is currently "on sale" for $795!). I'm guessing this might be the sort of thing to buy as a group.

I'm wondering if one of the local club sub-groups might want to make a group purchase. The problem with a group purchase, of course, it making sure that the kit remains intact, well cared for, and easily accessible when needed.

16. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Its so that Police/insurance can get the info in a standard way. It's not for an enthusiast, Tesla has already shown they don't want anything to do with them. Besides almost if not all of the data is available on the CAN bus already and can there are a few tools out there already to log it, or you could just write your own.

If you did want to try Tesla's own software you could probably do it just by getting the PEAK PCAN-USB adapter (presumably the same one that's included in the kit) and a cable from ebay Still a lot more money to get the same data you can pull of the CAN bus with any other CAN reader.

• Informative x 1
  17. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S / Model X Forums

Moderator note: Merged two threads on the same topic.

Bruce.

18. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

I don’t have AP, but I presume all the videos/images are stored on the ape. The gateway does log a bunch of other stuff which is stored in a binary log format proprietary to Tesla.

The docs clearly show, however, that the source of this data is an independent module on the CAN bus. These logs are definitely not coming from the gateway.

19. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

This is just for the airbag module EDR data. AFAIK, basically nothing. Which airbags went off, force on the sensors that triggered it, etc.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. berkeley_ecar

berkeley_ecar S 90D (fully loaded) delivered 18 Mar 2017

Not according to the Electrek article, which states quite clearly that Tesla provides full EDR data; it is using the airbag interface to access the data, but the data is not restricted to airbag-related information.