TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla releases new tool for people to retrieve ‘blackbox data’ after a crash

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by SucreTease, Mar 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Mainly was just pointing out that this is data recorded by the airbag module. It's not Tesla's logs, AP video/images, etc. The airbag module can record a handful of things, but the EDR data from it is generally less than 1KB.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  2. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Great. So not really useful for anything then.

3. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Unless you are in a wreck and it is not your fault and your insurance wants you to pay as the police give you the ticket. Geez.

4. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Not sure EDR has the data you need for that, unless the fault is based on speed or swerving.
    From NHTSA:

5. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

It could be valuable to tell that you were rear ended before running in to the car in front of you. Putting the full blame of the accident on the person behind you.

• Helpful x 2
  6. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

I guess I was thinking of all the items in red. I recently saw a dashcam video on TMC where a Tesla was sitting at a light and another car in front of it decided it was too far into the intersection when it stopped. The person ahead of the Tesla decided to back up but ran into the Tesla. That person then said the Tesla rear-ended them! I'm sure there are many other examples where speed/brake/throttle/etc could lead to conclusions. i.e. I didn't run into my garage ... the Tesla just hit the throttle itself ... no, I didn't panic and miss the brake but hit the throttle. Wait the EDR data just told the insurance company that you lied. Food for thought on other examples.

Do insurance company give better rates to Mfr and models of their cars that have useable/verifiable EDR data? If so then we all benefit if we have that insurance company. i.e. sort of like the tracking OBDII data to see if the driver is safe or made a mistake. Just another thought.

[​IMG]

7. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Valid point, though I'd hope they would find it more likely that the last car rear ended the middle car into the front one vs both the middle and rear cars hit the car in front of them.

8. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Do we know which boxes in the chart Tesla ticks?

9. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

In the event of an actual crash, Tesla will still be able to pull the much more detailed gateway log files and they will provide them to the relevant authorities. They have been doing this for years. This new tool has changed nothing.

10. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Depends on the state of the car. The complete kit includes cables for connecting directly to the module and powering it.

11. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

The gateway log files are stored on an SD card. Unless the SD card was destroyed, they will be retrievable. Although, if the SD card was destroyed, the EDR most certainly suffered damage as well.

12. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Gotcha, thought you were talking about Tesla pulling them remotely, not disassembling to get a card out.

13. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Really? I thought the only thing stored on the SD card was the maps.

14. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Maps are stored on an SD card. I think it’s 16 GB. The gateway has a separate 4 GB SD card to store vehicle config, logs, etc.

• Informative x 2
  15. appleguru

appleguru Member

Just got a PCAN-USB from eBay (who outbid me on the auction the other day?!)... building a cable now. Will see shortly what if any data this module actually provides (presumably not much without having been in a crash?)

• Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  16. appleguru

appleguru Member

Does anyone know which CAN bus the airbag module is on?

17. appleguru

appleguru Member

Looks like Body Fault (CAN4)? Can anyone confirm?

18. appleguru

appleguru Member

Nope, Chassis Bus (CAN6).

*very* boring data indeed, especially if you haven't been in a crash. See attached for a sample report (manually redacted VIN/SN info and the raw data, as their "don't include VIN" option is apparently just for the filename and not the actual data/report...)

Hopefully this saves a curious few from shelling out for the cables/gear needed. While I suspect this might have more useful data about crash sensors, seatbelt tensioners and airbags if you're in a crash, without being in one it is pretty useless/has no interesting data at all. And as wk057 said, this is just reading data from one module (the RCM) on the car. No real telemetry, camera footage, or anything else really useful/interesting.

EDRScreenshot.png

Attached Files:

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Love x 1
  19. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Cool to see a list of things it can retrieve. I plan on trying this on a car with deployed airbags this week. Will post if I can get anything from it.

• Like x 4
  20. appleguru

appleguru Member

Also, in case anyone is curious as to the format of the .edr files that Tesla's site uses to generate the reports... they're just json:
    Code:
    {
        "filetype": "Tesla EDR data file", 
        "hash": "ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff", 
        "payload": {
            "F187": "ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff", 
            "F190": "0000000000000000000000000000000000", 
            "FD00": "0000000000000000", 
            "FD01": "ffffffffffffffffff", 
            "FD02": "00000000", 
            "FD03": "ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff", 
            "FD14": "ffffffffffffff", 
            "FD52": "ffffffffffffffff", 
            "FD53": "00000000000000000000000000000000", 
            "FD60": "ffffffffffffffffffffffffffff", 
            "FD61": "ffffffffffffffffffffffffffff",