Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla releases new tool for people to retrieve ‘blackbox data’ after a crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not according to the Electrek article, which states quite clearly that Tesla provides full EDR data; it is using the airbag interface to access the data, but the data is not restricted to airbag-related information.

Mainly was just pointing out that this is data recorded by the airbag module. It's not Tesla's logs, AP video/images, etc. The airbag module can record a handful of things, but the EDR data from it is generally less than 1KB.

Unless you are in a wreck and it is not your fault and your insurance wants you to pay as the police give you the ticket. Geez.

Not sure EDR has the data you need for that, unless the fault is based on speed or swerving.
From NHTSA:
Since the term "EDR" can be used to cover many different types of devices, we believe it is important to define the term for purposes of this research site. When we use the term EDR in this site, we are referring to a device installed in a motor vehicle to record technical vehicle and occupant information for a brief period of time (seconds, not minutes) before, during and after a crash. For instance, EDRs may record (1) pre-crash vehicle dynamics and system status, (2) driver inputs, (3) vehicle crash signature, (4) restraint usage/deployment status, and (5) post-crash data such as the activation of an automatic collision notification (ACN) system. We are not using the term to include any type of device that either makes an audio or video record, or logs data such as hours of service for truck operators. EDRs are devices which record information related to an "event." In the context of this site the event is defined as a highway vehicle crash.

It could be valuable to tell that you were rear-ended before running into the car in front of you. Putting the full blame of the accident on the person behind you.
I guess I was thinking of all the items in red. I recently saw a dashcam video on TMC where a Tesla was sitting at a light and another car in front of it decided it was too far into the intersection when it stopped. The person ahead of the Tesla decided to back up but ran into the Tesla. That person then said the Tesla rear-ended them! I'm sure there are many other examples where speed/brake/throttle/etc could lead to conclusions. i.e. I didn't run into my garage ... the Tesla just hit the throttle itself ... no, I didn't panic and miss the brake but hit the throttle. Wait the EDR data just told the insurance company that you lied. Food for thought on other examples.

Do insurance company give better rates to Mfr and models of their cars that have useable/verifiable EDR data? If so then we all benefit if we have that insurance company. i.e. sort of like the tracking OBDII data to see if the driver is safe or made a mistake. Just another thought.

2Bnj0Wl.jpg

It could be valuable to tell that you were rear ended before running in to the car in front of you. Putting the full blame of the accident on the person behind you.

Valid point, though I'd hope they would find it more likely that the last car rear ended the middle car into the front one vs both the middle and rear cars hit the car in front of them.

I guess I was thinking of all the items in red. I recently saw a dashcam video on TMC where a Tesla was sitting at a light and another car in front of it decided it was too far into the intersection when it stopped. The person ahead of the Tesla decided to back up but ran into the Tesla. That person then said the Tesla rear-ended them! I'm sure there are many other examples where speed/brake/throttle/etc could lead to conclusions. i.e. I didn't run into my garage ... the Tesla just hit the throttle itself ... no, I didn't panic and miss the brake but hit the throttle. Wait the EDR data just told the insurance company that you lied. Food for thought on other examples.

Do insurance company give better rates to Mfr and models of their cars that have useable/verifiable EDR data? If so then we all benefit if we have that insurance company. i.e. sort of like the tracking OBDII data to see if the driver is safe or made a mistake. Just another thought.

2Bnj0Wl.jpg
Do we know which boxes in the chart Tesla ticks?

Unless you are in a wreck and it is not your fault and your insurance wants you to pay as the police give you the ticket. Geez.

In the event of an actual crash, Tesla will still be able to pull the much more detailed gateway log files and they will provide them to the relevant authorities. They have been doing this for years. This new tool has changed nothing.

In the event of an actual crash, Tesla will still be able to pull the much more detailed gateway log files and they will provide them to the relevant authorities. They have been doing this for years. This new tool has changed nothing.

Depends on the state of the car. The complete kit includes cables for connecting directly to the module and powering it.

Nope, Chassis Bus (CAN6).

*very* boring data indeed, especially if you haven't been in a crash. See attached for a sample report (manually redacted VIN/SN info and the raw data, as their "don't include VIN" option is apparently just for the filename and not the actual data/report...)

Hopefully this saves a curious few from shelling out for the cables/gear needed. While I suspect this might have more useful data about crash sensors, seatbelt tensioners and airbags if you're in a crash, without being in one it is pretty useless/has no interesting data at all. And as wk057 said, this is just reading data from one module (the RCM) on the car. No real telemetry, camera footage, or anything else really useful/interesting.

EDRScreenshot.png

Attachments

• TESLA_EDR_5YJSA1E28GF######_2018_03_12_2037.edr.pdf
    203.1 KB · Views: 251
Nope, Chassis Bus (CAN6).

*very* boring data indeed, especially if you haven't been in a crash. See attached for a sample report (manually redacted VIN/SN info and the raw data, as their "don't include VIN" option is apparently just for the filename and not the actual data/report...)

Hopefully this saves a curious few from shelling out for the cables/gear needed. While I suspect this might have more useful data about crash sensors, seatbelt tensioners and airbags if you're in a crash, without being in one it is pretty useless/has no interesting data at all. And as wk057 said, this is just reading data from one module (the RCM) on the car. No real telemetry, camera footage, or anything else really useful/interesting.

View attachment 286054

Cool to see a list of things it can retrieve. I plan on trying this on a car with deployed airbags this week. Will post if I can get anything from it.

Also, in case anyone is curious as to the format of the .edr files that Tesla's site uses to generate the reports... they're just json:
Code:
{
    "filetype": "Tesla EDR data file", 
    "hash": "ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff", 
    "payload": {
        "F187": "ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff", 
        "F190": "0000000000000000000000000000000000", 
        "FD00": "0000000000000000", 
        "FD01": "ffffffffffffffffff", 
        "FD02": "00000000", 
        "FD03": "ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff", 
        "FD14": "ffffffffffffff", 
        "FD52": "ffffffffffffffff", 
        "FD53": "00000000000000000000000000000000", 
        "FD60": "ffffffffffffffffffffffffffff", 
        "FD61": "ffffffffffffffffffffffffffff",