Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla releases new tool for people to retrieve ‘blackbox data’ after a crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie here. I was at the conference where this was announced. I see some comments about $995 being expensive. To put it in perspective, a fully loaded Bosch EDR kit that covers most manufacturers is nearly $20,000 plus $900/year for the software. The Tesla "software" is free; the cost is the cables, and Tesla is supplying a very good manual as far as locations of components - the Bosch kit leaves a lot to be desired here. Hyundai and Kia can't be read with the Bosch kit, so you have to buy their kits at $5,000 and $7,000 each respectively plus a $400/year each software cost. Subaru and Mitsubishi's kits will each set you back about $6,000 each. I'm very grateful Tesla has released this data. It is by no means everything they are monitoring, but it is something. Before 563 came out, some manufacturers were very uncooperative in releasing data. Requiring subpoenas that required lawsuits.

The gateway does log a bunch of other stuff which is stored in a binary log format proprietary to Tesla.

I am a digital forensics practitioner, mostly focused on UAVs/drones, but am finding myself quite interested in EDRs and Tesla's EDRs in particular.

Does any one have any examples of the binary logs from the gateways that they'd be willing to share? I'm interested in exploring that proprietary format.

Thank you.

-David

I recently valeted my car and have reason to believe (via the energy graphs) it was taken for a joy ride resulting in some minor damage -- no airbags deployed. I would like to retrieve some speed and location data to confirm, but after reaching out to Tesla and reading this thread it seems the EDR won't provide me what I need.

I'm a noob so apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but... are there any other options besides making a legal request to Tesla for me to retrieve the data I'm looking for?

[will never valet the car without putting into Valet mode again]

I recently valeted my car and have reason to believe (via the energy graphs) it was taken for a joy ride resulting in some minor damage -- no airbags deployed. I would like to retrieve some speed and location data to confirm, but after reaching out to Tesla and reading this thread it seems the EDR won't provide me what I need.

I'm a noob so apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but... are there any other options besides making a legal request to Tesla for me to retrieve the data I'm looking for?

[will never valet the car without putting into Valet mode again]
you need to ask tesla for the "autopilot trip log" - this would be the closest to what you want (see here for examples of data collected: Data sharing and privacy - what's actually collected? - it does collect speed in various buckets ). They probably will tell you they anonymize data so they don't know which one is yours, but that's a BS excuse, and no matter what you'll need to fight them for the data I suspect.

Either way for a few scratches you are looking at a lot of efforts so I am not sure it would be worth it in the end. I am aware of some cases where people had totaled cars and needed crash video snapshot to show it was not their fault (for insurance) and Tesla did not provide them with the data, and a lot more money were at stake too.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
FYI, I am an Automotive Electronics engineer, expert, and forensic investigator. I own the Bosch CDR tool, the Tesla CDR tool, and am a licensed and authorized user. The Tesla Tool is compliant with Federal Requirement 49 CFR Part 563 (describing crash data collection formats for vehicles manufactured MY2012 and later). Data may vary somewhat between models. The Airbag CDR reports approximately 32 items, for up to 2 impact events. As stated earlier, the Airbag CDR data collection is separate and distinct from data reported on Tesla's OTA data collection, however there can be correlation. It does report items such as: Ignition cycle, Max Delta V (longitudinal/lateral), Time to Max Delta V, Airbag lamp status, seatbelt status, occupant classification passenger seat, driver seat position, deployment summary, time series data, pre-crash data (5.0 sec) of vehicle speed, Accelerator pedal %, motor rpms, brake on/off, steering angle, stability control on/off, abs on/off. For impacts, Delta V and speed charts, and raw hex data. If anyone on the site requires download services, please PM me for my contact info. I'm based in Silicon Valley but often travel for investigations.

• Helpful
Reactions: Konah and brianman
Nope, Chassis Bus (CAN6).

*very* boring data indeed, especially if you haven't been in a crash. See attached for a sample report (manually redacted VIN/SN info and the raw data, as their "don't include VIN" option is apparently just for the filename and not the actual data/report...)

Hopefully this saves a curious few from shelling out for the cables/gear needed. While I suspect this might have more useful data about crash sensors, seatbelt tensioners and airbags if you're in a crash, without being in one it is pretty useless/has no interesting data at all. And as wk057 said, this is just reading data from one module (the RCM) on the car. No real telemetry, camera footage, or anything else really useful/interesting.

View attachment 286054

Howdy, AppleGuru. I was involved in a crash in my model 3 and the other driver is now claiming it was 100% our fault (which it wasn't). I bought a Peak adapter too, but I need to obtain a harness connecting the 9-pin Peak adapter to the Tesla's connector. Do you have this cable and know where to buy it? Do you have any information you can pass on regarding the connector itself, the location where it's located in the car, etc?

Howdy, AppleGuru. I was involved in a crash in my model 3 and the other driver is now claiming it was 100% our fault (which it wasn't). I bought a Peak adapter too, but I need to obtain a harness connecting the 9-pin Peak adapter to the Tesla's connector. Do you have this cable and know where to buy it? Do you have any information you can pass on regarding the connector itself, the location where it's located in the car, etc?
if you need video footage, you won't get it with the kit. If airbags deployed I can try to extract the video footage (~7-10 seconds prior to airbag deploy) if you send me the car computer.

Video footage would have quickly solved our problem with the other driver claiming it was our fault; our airbags did not deploy since the accident was more of a side-scrape than a forceful impact. If we could download the EDR data using the Peak adapter and harness, we could use the location of the steering wheel's position, before (~7-10 sec) and after the accident, to show fault.

Reactions: Konah
FYI, I am an Automotive Electronics engineer, expert, and forensic investigator. I own the Bosch CDR tool, the Tesla CDR tool, and am a licensed and authorized user. The Tesla Tool is compliant with Federal Requirement 49 CFR Part 563 (describing crash data collection formats for vehicles manufactured MY2012 and later). Data may vary somewhat between models. The Airbag CDR reports approximately 32 items, for up to 2 impact events. As stated earlier, the Airbag CDR data collection is separate and distinct from data reported on Tesla's OTA data collection, however there can be correlation. It does report items such as: Ignition cycle, Max Delta V (longitudinal/lateral), Time to Max Delta V, Airbag lamp status, seatbelt status, occupant classification passenger seat, driver seat position, deployment summary, time series data, pre-crash data (5.0 sec) of vehicle speed, Accelerator pedal %, motor rpms, brake on/off, steering angle, stability control on/off, abs on/off. For impacts, Delta V and speed charts, and raw hex data. If anyone on the site requires download services, please PM me for my contact info. I'm based in Silicon Valley but often travel for investigations.

Hi, if I had a more serious accident, I would be calling you in minute. I'm glad to know you're out there and I'm sure you're going to popular with others.

I purchased the Peak adapter and was hoping to make/purchase a harness to extract EDR data from my Tesla model 3. Could you confirm that a Peak adapter is the tool necessary to extract data?

Would you know where I can purchase just a harness or know the correct connector type? (I already have the wiring schematic for the connector itself) Thank you.

Video footage would have quickly solved our problem with the other driver claiming it was our fault; our airbags did not deploy since the accident was more of a side-scrape than a forceful impact. If we could download the EDR data using the Peak adapter and harness, we could use the location of the steering wheel's position, before (~7-10 sec) and after the accident, to show fault.

If airbags didn't deploy, there is a good chance that there isn't any useful data at all on your EDR...

Regarding making a cable, the model 3 still has its RCCM on the Chassis CAN bus. Unfortunately, it is a bit harder to access this bus in the 3 than in the S/X. The easiest way in my opinion would be to remove your frunk bin and plug into the connector for the EPAS. It's easy to access and would put you right on the CH bus.

The "official" cable likely plugs into the left or right body controllers (behind the left and right front footwell panels), and likely connects as a "passthrough" (you have to unplug the large connector and plug it into your adapter, which also has an opposite gender connector to plug back into the body controller). Having plugged into both, this is much harder to access than the EPAS connector however (and likely the mating connector is harder to identify).

There is also a connector behind the center console, accessible from the rear seats by the floor. This is the same connector as on the S/X, but it does not share the same pinout (and does not have access to chassis CAN I don't think, so wouldn't be able to talk to your RCCM).

Hi appleguru!
Can you explain what EPAS is and which pins from that connector are CAN-H/CAN-L?

Thx!

EPAS = Electronic power assist steering. It's under the frunk bin.

Pin 2 is CH CAN+, Pin 3 is CH CAN-

Here are some photos that should help.
m3_epas_connector_2.jpg

Attachments

• m3_epas_con.jpeg
    m3_epas_con.jpeg
    327.7 KB · Views: 65
  • ch_can_connected.jpeg
    ch_can_connected.jpeg
    425.9 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: Eugenius