Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla releases new tool for people to retrieve ‘blackbox data’ after a crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like this tool is mostly for insurance companies and police departments. It doesn't include the AP data or anything from the camera's. Will be interesting though if someone copies the cable and sells a cheap version of it.

Reactions: Brando
Interesting presentation: http://www.ruthconsulting.com/docs/2017_May/EDR Update 17.3 May 22 2017.pdf

alKAwnn.jpg

Xrnygil.jpg

When @wk057 has obtained logs from a vehicle he has done so through the gateway. I’m confused as to what the purpose of the EDR is if the gateway already contains detailed vehicle logs.
My take on this is that Tesla's computer(s) log a bunch of stuff, including AP data and in some cases video images. I assume this to be in an internal format. It is, in essence, performing the function of an EDR (and more).

I believe the tool allows one to get a subset of that data that conforms to a traditional EDR dataset, and transform it in to a common data format.

Reactions: croman
  • Disagree
Reactions: Troy and jaguar36
Elektrek has a new article out about a new kit available from Tesla for connecting to the car's Restraints Control Module (RCM) to retrieve Event Data Recorder (EDR) data. Tesla provides free software and online instructions; they also sell a connection kit with all required cables.

I see two potential problems: 1) the software is for Windows (though one could likely still use it under Parallels Desktop on the Mac); 2) the connection kit is being offered for the eye-watering price of $995 (but is currently "on sale" for $795!). I'm guessing this might be the sort of thing to buy as a group.

I'm wondering if one of the local club sub-groups might want to make a group purchase. The problem with a group purchase, of course, it making sure that the kit remains intact, well cared for, and easily accessible when needed.

When @wk057 has obtained logs from a vehicle he has done so through the gateway. I’m confused as to what the purpose of the EDR is if the gateway already contains detailed vehicle logs.
Its so that Police/insurance can get the info in a standard way. It's not for an enthusiast, Tesla has already shown they don't want anything to do with them. Besides almost if not all of the data is available on the CAN bus already and can there are a few tools out there already to log it, or you could just write your own.

If you did want to try Tesla's own software you could probably do it just by getting the PEAK PCAN-USB adapter (presumably the same one that's included in the kit) and a cable from ebay Still a lot more money to get the same data you can pull of the CAN bus with any other CAN reader.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
My take on this is that Tesla's computer(s) log a bunch of stuff, including AP data and in some cases video images. I assume this to be in an internal format. It is, in essence, performing the function of an EDR (and more).

I believe the tool allows one to get a subset of that data that conforms to a traditional EDR dataset, and transform it in to a common data format.

I don’t have AP, but I presume all the videos/images are stored on the ape. The gateway does log a bunch of other stuff which is stored in a binary log format proprietary to Tesla.

The docs clearly show, however, that the source of this data is an independent module on the CAN bus. These logs are definitely not coming from the gateway.

This is just for the airbag module EDR data. AFAIK, basically nothing. Which airbags went off, force on the sensors that triggered it, etc.

Not according to the Electrek article, which states quite clearly that Tesla provides full EDR data; it is using the airbag interface to access the data, but the data is not restricted to airbag-related information.