TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla reliability

Discussion in 'Model S' started by vortexz, Aug 31, 2015.

1. vortexz

vortexz Member

I was wondering how reliability is with Tesla cars ?
    I've heard that, because they are all electric, cars don't use as much moving parts and components that could fail on a traditional car.
    But at the same time I've heard Tesla is having other issues, with door handles, infotainment display etc.
    How is so far the reliability of Tesla cars for users having this cars ?

2. taurusking

taurusking Member

I own a Model S and I can tell you my experience with it.

This is the best car I have owned and from what I hear from other owners as well.:biggrin:

You should test drive to see how it feels to drive this car. The car does not need oil changes like ICE but it does need service.

Please research this forum about service options.

Yes people including myself have some issues that we have experienced when owning this car but still we love this car.

If I were to buy another car it would be Tesla again.

3. vortexz

vortexz Member

what kind of issues are you talking about ?

4. mobe

mobe Member

Compared to?
    MUCH better than the last BMW I owned!

5. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

#5 AmpedRealtor, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    I have not had a single mechanical failure with my Model S after two years and 31,000 miles. Not one.

6. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

My 2 year old CPO with 35k miles has been in for service more during my 3.5 months of ownership than my 9 year old ICE with 86k miles (bought new).
    My CPO (and disappointments) Experience

That said, I'm hoping these are just initial humps and I don't need to be a regular at my Service Center anymore (I probably will still be as a smiling face to a great crew, but not for servicing needs).

7. taurusking

taurusking Member

Small things like horn became defective and microphone needed to be replaced for blue tooth.

Some of us had drive unit replaced but who cares it is covered for life.

Please do not let small things bother you...its an amazing car..buy it if you like it

8. David99

David99 Active Member

i'm at 57k miles. So far the car has been 100% reliable. Never did I have an issue with the car that left me stranded or any serious issues that made driving compromised or delayed or dangerous. There were some small issues that needed attention but none of them were in any way critical. So from a reliability side, the car has been perfect for me. Obviously the drive train on the Model S is simpler and much less likely to cause problems compared to an ICE. But everything else about the car is the same as any other car. steering, suspension, brakes, AC, windows and sun roof, seats, ... All these parts will eventually wear out and need service. Nothing magic about Tesla.

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

At 56K miles my S85 has been as or more reliable than cars that I've previously owned. I had one charging issue early on but Tesla fixed it up right away and it's been rock solid since.

10. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

No, it's covered for 8 years. Big difference.

11. sorka

sorka Active Member

I've had no mechanical problems with my P85D. Fit and finish, creaks, rattles, and wind noises has pretty much been it. I have 9K miles so I know that's not a lot. But so far so good.

The Model S has lots of moving parts compared to other ICE cars if you remove the drivetrains of each from the equation.

The number of electric motors and actuators easily exceeds any other car I've owned luxury or not. These don't last forever but they might last a long time:

Model S Motors Count | TeslaTap

That said, the Model S is a complicated mechanical machine with lots of moving parts.