Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, remove the Easter eggs!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now imagine that you're a Chinese-speaking driver that accidentally activated this nonsense. You don't understand what it's telling you and there's no way to shut it down. You just hear that the tone of the voice is pretty insistent. Volume controls also don't work. Is it a serious error message? Is car trying to tell you something? Maybe it was hacked? Should you do an emergency stop?

Not so funny now, is it?

I'm not gonna lie... imagining this scenario is probably the funniest thing I've experienced all day.

Yes, the rest of us owners shouldn’t have the joy of Easter eggs because you can’t figure out how to work your own car. THAT MAKES SENSE

wouldn't hurt to have an override deep in the preferences somewhere to disable all Easter egg triggers.

Take a windows computer and hold down the shift key for 8 seconds or so. Totally easy to do this while thinking of something to type or having someone ask you a question while you are typing. Then go into the control panel and find that setting. They let you turn off the hidden trigger. With it off you can hold that key as long as you like.

Try hitting the shift key 5 times in a row. Again someone indecisive might wander into that trigger. Again you can go into the control panel and find that setting, turn off the trigger, and tap the shift key all day long if you like.

They don't have to get rid of the actual Easter Egg, just give a way to disable accidental trigger.

He could still get there from the T menu even if the stalk trigger is disabled. And you could continue to trigger it from the stalk.

Last edited:
I don't think it actually loops endlessly. I know this because just the other day someone that had never been in a Tesla asked about Easter Eggs, and since I was driving, the only one easy enough to activate was Cowbell so I did.

I did notice that there was no way to easily deactivate it, so we let it play. Deactivating autopilot did not disable it (even though I think that should be the disabler). It played through the song snippet once. Then Christopher Walken did his "more cowbell spiel". Then the song snippet played again, and then it was over. I didn't need to reboot or anything or use the touchscreen to deactivate.

Granted, we did have to sit through the song.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Sure, why not add "boring mode"? I'm sure some parents wouldn't mind disabling all the toys etc.

Yes, it makes sense. Can you point out the place in the car manual that describes how to dismiss this Easter egg? I actually checked it, there's nothing.

Now imagine that you're a Chinese-speaking driver that accidentally activated this nonsense. You don't understand what it's telling you and there's no way to shut it down. You just hear that the tone of the voice is pretty insistent. Volume controls also don't work. Is it a serious error message? Is car trying to tell you something? Maybe it was hacked? Should you do an emergency stop?

Not so funny now, is it?
Cowbell is the universal language bro.

It is not enough to wish for it, one needs to get familiar with operating the car controls.
Whatever they are.
No button will help, if the driver spent no time getting to know it.
Dude, I've disassembled my Model S and hacked the central display to be able to run my own stuff on it. To do that I bought a spare central display and dumped the flash RAM to find the SSH keys. I _know_ the Tesla software far better than most people here (haven't had a chance to play with my Model 3 yet).

This doesn't mean I can find a non-obvious way to shut down an obnoxious Easter egg while driving at 70 mph down a highway, at night. This is a straightforward safety hazard, and I'm not exaggerating.

I didn't even know my car had a cowbell mode.
My kids rather ask me to use fart mode when their friends are along for a ride. I usually oblige. Hilarity ensues ;)

A friend of our youngest once said to me "best car ever" after experiencing it.
If only every car had fart mode - imagine that in a Maybach, or Rolls Royce. :p

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod