Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla removed auto-dimming for side mirrors with June 2020 cars.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jeremymc7

Feb 3, 2013
U.S.
I got a 2020 in late Dec and replaced the factory mirrors with the Euro wide view ones. Heat and dimming connectors were present.

I just got another 2020 in late Jun and again went to replace with the Euro mirrors. When I pulled the factory mirrors off there is no dimming connector. Just the two connectors for heat. There is no connector for dimming anymore. These are also from a different manufacturer and the pins are located in a different position now too.

Look's like June gave us USB-C and Wireless Charging Pad but removed the Auto Dimming side mirrors.

Last edited:
So weird. Seems like such a minor feature but oh so usefull!

Anyone know about model y?

My x lease is up soon.
And y is only thing I'll CONSIDER but honestly it will be a tough sell as the x is a phe ome AL car with phenomenal features.

So weird. Seems like such a minor feature but oh so usefull!

Anyone know about model y?

My x lease is up soon.
And y is only thing I'll CONSIDER but honestly it will be a tough sell as the x is a phe ome AL car with phenomenal features.
Model Y doesn't have either. While a minor feature it is fairly expensive and would amount to millions of dollars a year in savings to Tesla's bottom line.

Who needs dimming mirrors when everybody puts 30% VLT on the windows

Perhaps in Texas but not in California. Not to mention I've had darker tint on previous cars and in areas around here with little or no street lighting it makes it hard to see at night.

"The 2020 California window tint laws requirements are for the front windshield and front side windows to have a 70% VLT. California car window tint law has no restriction on how dark the tint on the rear and back side windows can be. However, if the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, it has to have dual side mirrors."

Last edited:
The longer I own Tesla’s and the more modes I own, the more interesting I find it that Tesla doesn’t list loads of features of the car on the website and then adds and removes them without updating the website either.

It’s like play Lotto.

;)
That’s true, I never even knew I had auto dimming side mirrors. I’ll have to check that out next time I drive at night..

Model Y doesn't have either. While a minor feature it is fairly expensive and would amount to millions of dollars a year in savings to Tesla's bottom line.

Cheap bastards.

Most mid-tier cars have auto-dimming rear-view and side mirrors these days. I can't recall the last time I owned or rented a car without this.
It's a driver-friendly feature that's extremely handy for those of us who drive at night.

Cheap bastards.

Most mid-tier cars have auto-dimming rear-view and side mirrors these days. I can't recall the last time I owned or rented a car without this.
It's a driver-friendly feature that's extremely handy for those of us who drive at night.

Agreed. My eyes are pretty light-sensitive and this is honestly a favorite feature of mine.

Agreed. My eyes are pretty light-sensitive and this is honestly a favorite feature of mine.

same. So what are people like us supposed to do now, tint the damned mirrors? :rolleyes:

I’m sure some sycophant will be like “but with FSD you won’t need mirrors anymore hurrrr durrrrr” but that’s many years away and regulations require the mirrors anyway.