Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla removed auto-dimming for side mirrors with June 2020 cars.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't imagine that it costs any significant money. But again, so usefull. It's frustrating.

And I don't think there's a cheap simple aftermarket fix. I'm assuming tinting mirrors would make it bothersome in low light conditions.
Also tinting back and back sides won't help. You gotta tint from sides too. Will be problem at night also. Ugh.

I had the auto dimming side mirrors in a rental 2019 Model 3 and it was pretty annoying, made it too hard to be confident when checking the side mirrors. My Feb 2020 build does not have the side mirror dimming and I'm totally happy that way. The rearview mirror dimming is good, glad that stayed.

I wish we have the option to turn on/off the mirror dimming, that would be helpful.

Still waiting for the update...

59rrHBz.png

Disconnect the wires in the mirror that cause the dimming, or get the SUMA (Tesla Model 3) mirrors.

Or the official Tesla part from Europe like I did. That said the Suma is cheaper, but without the auto dimming, and perhaps an even wider viewing angle. But with the new cars not having auto dim anymore I would have got the Suma, either blue tint but r clear had I known in advance.

Headlights won’t reflect in your side mirrors if a vehicle is directly behind you and your side mirrors are set correctly. Search the internet to find out what you have been doing wrong.

cool, so now we just need to convince all other cars on the road that are behind us and going in the same direction to be immediately behind us, and never use adjacent lanes. Also in the event of a bend in the road, they must stop until we are far enough to not get our eyes blasted by poorly aimed headlights (or high beams, with how stupid many drivers are).

• Funny
Reactions: Mr X and afadeev
cool, so now we just need to convince all other cars on the road that are behind us and going in the same direction to be immediately behind us, and never use adjacent lanes. Also in the event of a bend in the road, they must stop until we are far enough to not get our eyes blasted by poorly aimed headlights (or high beams, with how stupid many drivers are).
For vehicles in adjacent lanes I simply slow down till the headlights are not in my eyes then resume my previous speed.

In my experience a bend in the road has not caused me problems. I may momentarily get a reflection but a simple acceleration or deceleration solves the problem.

• Funny
Reactions: run-the-joules
For vehicles in adjacent lanes I simply slow down till the headlights are not in my eyes then resume my previous speed.

In my experience a bend in the road has not caused me problems. I may momentarily get a reflection but a simple acceleration or deceleration solves the problem.

Yes, there are ways to mitigate it, but the point is that there's technology to solve the problem and they've decided to take a step backwards and not use it. I could cut down a tree and build a fire to cook a meal on, but I have a stove and an oven.

Or the official Tesla part from Europe like I did. That said the Suma is cheaper, but without the auto dimming, and perhaps an even wider viewing angle. But with the new cars not having auto dim anymore I would have got the Suma, either blue tint but r clear had I known in advance.

How did you go about ordering the OEM Euro Mirrors? I was bugging my parts guy last year about it but he had like no clue what I wanted or how to order it. If you had a part number or something I could give them maybe it would help!

Yes, there are ways to mitigate it, but the point is that there's technology to solve the problem and they've decided to take a step backwards and not use it. I could cut down a tree and build a fire to cook a meal on, but I have a stove and an oven.

Exactly! If they're going to remove them, then I'd rather they also remove the auto dimming center rear view mirror and go to a manual dimming mirror. Those were easy and didn't take much effort. Besides, I Always felt auto dimming mirrors never dimmed enough. Kind of like auto seats, I change the seat position much faster manually.