Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla removes Base Price from Roadster page.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phantasms

Mr Self Destruct
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2019
White Mountains, NH
Congrats to all who locked in the $200k price. I put the $50k down last month as I was expecting a price increase before release but not so soon! Note that they have not listed a new price, but it obviously will be higher when it appears.

As previously discussed they also got rid of the Founders Reservation which pays for the car in full at $250k. I'm sure this was removed not because they reached the 1,000 limit but they wanted to stop people from locking in the price. At this point add ceramics to a Model S Plaid and you're nearly at $170k. Doesn't make sense that the Roadster would be only $30k more.

I realize this is still a long way out but I remain excited. :)

Below is a screenshot of the old screen and the current screen.

This screenshot was taken from November 3rd, 2021. Feel free to save it to your computer in case you need to send it to your advisor but I can't imagine them trying to not honor the price especially when some of you had put $50k and $250k down a half decade ago.

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 9.29.46 PM.png

Reactions: TorqueMonster
Congrats to all who locked in the $200k price. I put the $50k down last month as I was expecting a price increase before release but not so soon! Note that they have not listed a new price, but it obviously will be higher when it appears.

As previously discussed they also got rid of the Founders Reservation which pays for the car in full at $250k. I'm sure this was removed not because they reached the 1,000 limit but they wanted to stop people from locking in the price. At this point add ceramics to a Model S Plaid and you're nearly at $170k. Doesn't make sense that the Roadster would be only $30k more.

This screenshot was taken from November 3rd, 2021. Feel free to save it to your computer in case you need to send it to your advisor but I can't imagine them trying to not honor the price especially when some of you had put $50k and $250k down a half decade ago.

View attachment 744063

I went to the website and still seems like the old pricing is there?

Congrats on your deposit!

View attachment 744063
Give me a model 2 first! (budget hatch)

Congrats to all who locked in the $200k price. I put the $50k down last month as I was expecting a price increase before release but not so soon!
I may be wrong but I always thought preorders didn't guarantee pricing and that pricing would be determined at the point the product was available? I clipped this from my CT pre-order.

Pre-Order Price, Taxes and Official Fees. The pre-order price of the Vehicle will be confirmed in your Vehicle Configuration and Final Price Sheet. As you may have only configured part of your Vehicle, any pre-order price provided to you in advance of the Final Price Sheet is only being offered to you as an estimate and is subject to change.

I'm of the mind that you pay, if you want to, the price that prevails at final configuration time. I know my price has to be different given it's a tri-motor and that configuration won't be offered in the final version--at least as far as we can tell. Since I don't have a pre-order on the Roadster it may contain different language. I'm curious to know people's thoughts on this.

I may be wrong but I always thought preorders didn't guarantee pricing and that pricing would be determined at the point the product was available? I clipped this from my CT pre-order.

Pre-Order Price, Taxes and Official Fees. The pre-order price of the Vehicle will be confirmed in your Vehicle Configuration and Final Price Sheet. As you may have only configured part of your Vehicle, any pre-order price provided to you in advance of the Final Price Sheet is only being offered to you as an estimate and is subject to change.

I'm of the mind that you pay, if you want to, the price that prevails at final configuration time. I know my price has to be different given it's a tri-motor and that configuration won't be offered in the final version--at least as far as we can tell. Since I don't have a pre-order on the Roadster it may contain different language. I'm curious to know people's thoughts on this.
Here you go. Doesn’t sound like the price was locked in.

-
Order Process
While this Reservation secures your approximate delivery priority, it does not constitute the purchase or order of a vehicle. When the start of production for your Reservation nears, we will ask you to configure your vehicle. Tesla will create an order for your vehicle and you will receive a Purchase Agreement indicating the purchase price of the vehicle, plus estimates of any applicable taxes, duties, transport and delivery charges, and any other applicable fees. If you proceed with the order, we will apply your Reservation Payment towards the order payment. Until you enter into a Purchase Agreement, your Reservation may be cancelled at any time, in which case you will receive a full refund of your Reservation Payment.

Elon always tries to do the right thing. I cannot fathom that people who gave them $50k for a $200k base Roadster years ago will end up having to pay a higher base price. If Tesla tried to pull a fast one on us people will bitch, Elon will hear it and then honor the $200k. Same happened with Plaid reservations. I have no facts to back this up but it’s my feeling on the subject. Also if someone convinced me otherwise I’ll be happy to get back my $50k to buy more TSLA. I sold some at over $1000 to put down the deposit. It’s a win win. :)

Elon always tries to do the right thing. I cannot fathom that people who gave them $50k for a $200k base Roadster years ago will end up having to pay a higher base price. If Tesla tried to pull a fast one on us people will bitch, Elon will hear it and then honor the $200k. Same happened with Plaid reservations. I have no facts to back this up but it’s my feeling on the subject. Also if someone convinced me otherwise I’ll be happy to get back my $50k to buy more TSLA. I sold some at over $1000 to put down the deposit. It’s a win win. :)
They did it with the original Roadster. While they might not do it now, it's not unfathomable that they will.

If you aren’t legally bound to follow through on a purchase, they aren’t legally bound to honor the price. First year contract law.

If you pay a non refundable option to buy at a price it’s different.
Can you imagine the backlash of such a decision on Tesla fans?
All these super important customers who literally throw money at Tesla, with deposits of tens thousands of dollars for years.
Again, look what happened at Rivian, they weren't obligated to honor the old price either and they did...
Elon wouldn't make such a mistake, common sense rules trumps legal right.
We're not talking about GM or VW, we're talking about Elon Musk's Tesla.

Reactions: phantasms
Can you imagine the backlash of such a decision on Tesla fans?
All these super important customers who literally throw money at Tesla, with deposits of tens thousands of dollars for years.
Again, look what happened at Rivian, they weren't obligated to honor the old price either and they did...
Elon wouldn't make such a mistake, common sense rules trumps legal right.
We're not talking about GM or VW, we're talking about Elon Musk's Tesla.
Not only would he, he has. He did that with the original Roadster, effectively increasing the price after taking money from the early customers. That doesn't mean it will happen again, but he certainly is capable.

Not only would he, he has. He did that with the original Roadster, effectively increasing the price after taking money from the early customers. That doesn't mean it will happen again, but he certainly is capable.
Nice video you did with Carl Medlock.
I am amazed that you guys took the risk
Back with the original roadster and hung
In there even when things looked bleak
About getting delivery and the price increases prior to delivery. Without you
Early adopters, we wouldn’t be here now.

Nice video you did with Carl Medlock.
I am amazed that you guys took the risk
Back with the original roadster and hung
In there even when things looked bleak
About getting delivery and the price increases prior to delivery. Without you
Early adopters, we wouldn’t be here now.
The price increase didn't hit me, I ordered after he'd already done it. But people who were a few months earlier had a bad experience. And back then there were so few of us that we all knew each other.

Tesla went through a near-death experience when they couldn't ship the early Roadsters because of the transmission not working. The stories were that Elon had to take personal loans from his friends in order to make payroll. I waited until they were past that and shipping cars before I ordered.

Still, you had to pay full price months before you got the car and it cost more than all the other cars I'd ever bought combined, so I was kind of nervous.

But, it worked out and I still have it, so I'm really happy I took the risk.