Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Removes Mention Of Standard Range Model 3 From Its Website. What's Going On?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quote from Transport Evolved blog: "Tesla has been promising the world that it would begin production of its 'affordable' Tesla Model 3 Standard Range electric car some time in the middle of this year. Offering a real-world range of 220 miles per charge, Tesla's entry-level Model 3 is the car that many Model 3 deposit holders have been waiting nearly three years to buy.

On Feb 18 however, Tesla mysteriously removed reference to the Model 3 Standard Range from its website, causing mild panic among some Tesla customers.

Is Tesla trying to remove Model 3 Standard Range from the Model 3 lineup? Is it a website glitch? Or is there a plausible reason for the change?

Watch this video to find out".

Source: Transport Evolved a multimedia website helping buyers understand the world of clean fuels and future car technology located in Bristol, United Kingdom

Likely not much push behind bringing the base model to market unless and until demand for more profitably optioned Model 3’s goes soft. If you were waiting (and waiting) for the base model and need to buy a car, your choice will be to find one from another manufacturer (Niro? Kona?) or bite the bullet and pay up for a mid-range. Just don’t swallow the dodgy math on the Tesla site that folds fuel savings into a final price meant to look like something approaching $35K. That’s a deceptive move and kind of sad.
Robin

Is Tesla trying to remove Model 3 Standard Range from the Model 3 lineup?

How do you remove something from a lineup if it was never there in the first place.

$35K Model 3 will never arrive. Tesla cannot build it profitably, everyone acknowledges this. May as well remove any mention of it and hope nobody cares.

No, I saw those. I don't think they are taking into account anything other than cost of goods.

Tesla themselves say they can't do it. Who would know better?

Or are they lying?
Both included assembly.
It’s actually a second teardown that points to the high gross margin for the Model 3 since a German engineering firm pointed to only $28,000 in potential material and production costs following their own teardown
https://electrek.co/2018/07/16/tesla-model-3-teardown-profitability/

• Funny
Reactions: adaptabl
So what you're telling me then, is that you think Tesla CAN build and sell the $35K Model 3 profitably, but is telling the world they cannot?

So we agree that Tesla is lying?

What Elon actually said May of 2018:
With production, 1st you need achieve target rate & then smooth out flow to achieve target cost. Shipping min cost Model 3 right away wd cause Tesla to lose money & die. Need 3 to 6 months after 5k/wk to ship $35k Tesla & live.

I'm not seeing a lie there.

What you claimed, that I disagreed with:
$35K Model 3 will never arrive. Tesla cannot build it profitably, everyone acknowledges this.
I have now given you 3 sources that say a 35k Model 3 can be profitable.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia

Tell me, what did Elon say in 2016, when they began accepting deposits?

Because I remember reading in pretty much EVERY media outlet that Tesla had opened reservations for their "$35K mass market Model 3". I have a friend who to this day argues that I can buy a $35K Tesla. I can't.

I have now given you 3 sources that say a 35k Model 3 can be profitable.

And yet I only need one source to prove all of them wrong. Tesla says if they build it, they will go broke.

Are they lying about that?

Tell me, what did Elon say in 2016, when they began accepting deposits?

Because I remember reading in pretty much EVERY media outlet that Tesla had opened reservations for their "$35K mass market Model 3". I have a friend who to this day argues that I can buy a $35K Tesla. I can't.

And yet I only need one source to prove all of them wrong. Tesla says if they build it, they will go broke.

Are they lying about that?

If they built the base SR in May of 2018, instead of the PUP RWD, AWD, and P, they would have had financial trouble. That in no way says that they will never be able to build the base SR 3 profitably, and Elon's quote states that they will.

If you say "Tesla cannot build it profitably, everyone acknowledges this.", and I give you 3 sources (2 independent from Tesla) that say they can, your statement is proven false.
What statement from Tesla are you calling a lie?

So I'll just throw this out there: Perhaps the new SR intent pack design saved enough money that the non-PUP MR range will become the lowest content 35k Model 3...
Article is from November:
Deep Dive Into Tesla's Low Cost, Short-Range Model 3 Pack Design
e came up with a new design that achieves the same outcome, that’s actually lighter, better, cheaper and we will be introducing that around the end of this year – probably reach volume production on that in Q1 or something. That will make the car lighter, better, and cheaper and achieve a higher range.

Like I've been saying from day one, I'd be shocked if there ever was a "standard range" Model 3. Those of you holding out for one should either get a MR or cancel because this is the EXACT same pattern that Tesla followed with the S40... Soon they'll claim the demand wasn't high enough and thus it didn't make any financial sense to make it and those who were waiting for one can purchase a MR right now...

Jeff

Mongo, let me ask you a question: If the SR car no longer even appears on their own website, what do you think are the chances it appears on the market anytime soon?

If they knew in May 2018 they couldn't build the SR profitably at that time, then they knew that in 2016 as well. But they announced a $35K car anyway.

The cost of all that massive publicity is a few irritated $35K depositors. Totally worth it.

Mongo, let me ask you a question: If the SR car no longer even appears on their own website, what do you think are the chances it appears on the market anytime soon?

I'm not sure the two items have anything to do with each other. However, I could see that the $35k version has the range of the LR with the new pack design and no PUP package. (see post #15)

If they knew in May 2018 they couldn't build the SR profitably at that time, then they knew that in 2016 as well. But they announced a $35K car anyway.

At a low production rate with the bills coming due for the line, the SR would not produce enough gross margin to pay the bills. That in no way indicates that it is not profitable, or that Tesla cannot be with a higher volume after the big bills are paid off.

I'm sure there were some recalculations after the automation didn't go as planned. However, the statements regarding human adaptability seem to indicate the partly automatic system is working well. As well as the two tear down estimates pegging the LR PUP at $28k.

The cost of all that massive publicity is a few irritated $35K depositors. Totally worth it.
That is an option too...

Reactions: AustinPowers
At a low production rate with the bills coming due for the line, the SR would not produce enough gross margin to pay the bills. That in no way indicates that it is not profitable, or that Tesla cannot be with a higher volume after the big bills are paid off.

I'm just an idiot, but I'm pretty sure that "not producing enough gross margin to pay the bills" is wholly equivalent to "not profitable".

That is an option too...

At least someone here is finally willing to acknowledge this.

Mongo, let me ask you a question: If the SR car no longer even appears on their own website

why do you think it no longer appears on their website?

The SR 35k car still appears on their website

It just doesn't appear on the ORDERING page. Which makes sense, since it's not available to order yet.

Press Kit | Tesla
Tesla.com said:
Model 3 is designed to achieve the highest safety ratings in every category. Combined with 220* to 310 miles of range and a starting price of $35,000 before incentives

So this is pretty tempest-in-a-teapotty.