Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla removes regenerative braking strength option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As much as I'd like to not engage this discussion at all, I'd like to state that if NEW models have 'low' eliminated, its probably only a matter of time before old models get that same treatment.

Maybe Tesla never thought of snow, being made in California. Maybe there's an automatic and supremely annoying feature to change it to 'low' under the covers when temps are below 40F.

Regarding whether abs works with regen... the computers are wikkid smaht and automatically dial back regen when wheel-not-spin is detected.

Depends on how the test is conducted. It is a standardized test. I also think that regen is disabled for the current standardized test. someone could correct me if I am wrong but I thought that is what I read in the original Model 3 EPA test documentation.

How can you disable regen? You can only set it to Low. Which is one more reason to think this is why this mode was removed.

BR666T, I understand what you are saying. Unfortunately no car will really give zero power in any direction when you let go of the gas pedal. I'm used to driving stick and that would have compression, sometimes a relatively good amount. You would have to clutch in to get what you are talking about. Automatics did feel low on power and compression, that's true. However on dual clutch systems like my wife's VW you also get compression. That means you need to be careful when you let go of the gas. That is, on very slippery surfaces. On normal snow it won't matter so much.

GZDongles, regen will adjust itself when it's slippery. Traction control will modulate regen force depending on available traction. Said another way, you have full regen until it starts slipping, at which point traction control does its job.
It somewhat feels like when abs (a good abs system, not a silly fast pumping system) does its job.

As I said, nothing is perfect. If it's slippery, be careful, no system will save you. There's only so much traction available, that depends on the laws of physics. These systems do what they can to stay close to the physical limit.

• Helpful
Reactions: GZDongles
Copy your driver profile to a new Snow/Ice profile and under the new profile, set Regen to Low and consider setting Chill mode as well. You can then toggle profiles while driving. It's a couple taps on the screen but easier than going through all the menus to try to make changes while driving.

Yes, better, but not optimal.

The scroll wheel option (sideways click) would allow convenient changes multiple times during a drive session. I'm not wanting this so much for snow conditions but freeway driving where segments may be stop and go while other stretches more coast and go. If you can imagine what I mean.

How can you disable regen? You can only set it to Low. Which is one more reason to think this is why this mode was removed.

There is a way to do it, it also disables traction control, ABS, and some other things. Initially it was only something Tesla could do, which they did for the test, but soon others found how to put it in that mode...and then promptly crashed their car because it went out of control on normal roads without all those safety features.

I'll miss this. When I see something strange near the road, I move my right foot to the brake pedal. I do this to be able to brake faster if it turns out the strange thing is a moose or something. That doesn't mean I want to decelerate with max regen.

I guess I could start driving like an American (left foot on the brake), but then I'll be handicapped when I use a stick shift.

Uhhh not sure where you heard Americans drive with their left foot on the brake lol.

There is a way to do it, it also disables traction control, ABS, and some other things. Initially it was only something Tesla could do, which they did for the test, but soon others found how to put it in that mode...and then promptly crashed their car because it went out of control on normal roads without all those safety features.

Are you saying EPA testing is done using settings not available for regular users without special knowledge?

Are you saying EPA testing is done using settings not available for regular users without special knowledge?

Yes. It was called Dyno Mode. I actually now don't fully remember if it disabled regen or not and don't care enough to research it again, especially since Tesla killed the original way to get into Dyno mode because people found out. If you look up EPA testing documentation for the Model3 you will see Dyno mode referenced as part of the testing procedure.

BR666T, I understand what you are saying. Unfortunately no car will really give zero power in any direction when you let go of the gas pedal. I'm used to driving stick and that would have compression, sometimes a relatively good amount. You would have to clutch in to get what you are talking about. Automatics did feel low on power and compression, that's true. However on dual clutch systems like my wife's VW you also get compression. That means you need to be careful when you let go of the gas. That is, on very slippery surfaces. On normal snow it won't matter so much.

GZDongles, regen will adjust itself when it's slippery. Traction control will modulate regen force depending on available traction. Said another way, you have full regen until it starts slipping, at which point traction control does its job.
It somewhat feels like when abs (a good abs system, not a silly fast pumping system) does its job.

As I said, nothing is perfect. If it's slippery, be careful, no system will save you. There's only so much traction available, that depends on the laws of physics. These systems do what they can to stay close to the physical limit.

One could think that the traction control system that controls forward motion/input from the motor could modulate the regen if it senses traction. Forgive me if I’m repeating what someone already said!

From a UX design perspective, the settings area of the UI is getting more and more crowded, so I suspect to keep things cleaner, Tesla evaluated all settings for which people aren't really changing from the default very much and getting rid of those settings. Why have it there if people rarely use it?

In the UX world, you aim to satisfy 80% of your user base. So if fewer than 20% of owners change the regen setting to low, that could be enough justification to axe the setting. Obviously that 20% won't be happy, but the alternative is basically a Comcast remote - so many buttons that it's overwhelming and an overall sh*tty experience to use.

Reactions: WarpedOne and tomas
BR666T, I understand what you are saying. Unfortunately no car will really give zero power in any direction when you let go of the gas pedal. I'm used to driving stick and that would have compression, sometimes a relatively good amount. You would have to clutch in to get what you are talking about.

I would certainly depress the clutch in a manual if I realized I was on ice. So I can understand people are worried about not being able to switch off regen in the snow. We just have to hope the "reverse ABS" is so good that that's not needed in a Tesla with full time regen.

But that's a separate issue to the one I have, which is that I like to move my right foot to hover over the brake pedal while evaluating a situation, so that I have faster reactions if I have to brake. That doesn't mean I want full regen. For example coming up to a green light which might go yellow at any time.

Hmm interesting. Wonder why they’d remove that? It didn’t hurt having the option. If anything, I wish they’d give an in between option.

As far as the sidebar discussion on low versus high regen - one of you two need to read up on hypermiling tactics. The most efficient way to drive is low regen and coasting everywhere with the main goal being to maintain speed. Use the slopes of the road to your advantage - allow the car to speed up downhill to help you uphill as you bleed off speed.

I used to daily a Prius, and routinely got 60+ mpg on my daily commute when hypermiling. With my model 3, I was getting < 200 Wh/mile using the same tactics on a 30 mile commute on a traffic congested interstate. On autopilot, the car was lucky to be around the 240Wh/mile. Setting was on chill and low regen during hypermiling.

The car has so much range, I’ve stopped worrying about it and let autopilot do the work.

As far as the sidebar discussion on low versus high regen - one of you two need to read up on hypermiling tactics. The most efficient way to drive is low regen and coasting everywhere with the main goal being to maintain speed. Use the slopes of the road to your advantage - allow the car to speed up downhill to help you uphill as you bleed off speed.

that's right, along side what derotam says. on rolling roads (where you dont have to artificially reduce speed), coasting/less regen is more efficient. on winding roads, where you might need to deliberately slow down, regen is more efficient.