Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla removes regenerative braking strength option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So with no option to set vehicle regenerative braking to "low", how is an owner supposed to burnish the brakes after installing new brake pads/rotors Do It Yourself - Model 3

Are they going to add this option to the service menu or are we going to have to visit a Tesla service center to have this performed?

I burnish the brakes every once in a while if i see a bit of rust forming on the rotors. I just pick up some speed, about 40mph and then press the brake firmly to come to a stop. I do it on my neighborhood road where there is no traffic to annoy.

Yep, once in a while I just brake harder than usual, after checking that no one is behind me. You can do that on highway offramps or empty boulevards. Another option is to live where the temperatures drop. You get low or no regen when the battery is cold so you do use up your brakes :)

I wonder if new owners might not know its missing. Our new S doesn’t have the option and the only reason I know that is because we are prior owners AND I saw the article and looked (we normally drive on standard, I wouldn’t have noticed it missing until I had a reason to turn low on).

Will report back once we get a software update. Right now the car is on 2020.40.4.5

It is strange for tesla to have an option like this not pushed out to the existing fleet. I just got 2020.44.10.1 (so I am extremely current right now as far as updates go), and I checked for the low regen option, and its still there.

• Informative
Reactions: BR666T
I wonder if new owners might not know its missing. Our new S doesn’t have the option and the only reason I know that is because we are prior owners AND I saw the article and looked (we normally drive on standard, I wouldn’t have noticed it missing until I had a reason to turn low on).

Will report back once we get a software update. Right now the car is on 2020.40.4.5

Just updating this thread: New S got its first software update since purchase and still no Low regen option.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Just updating this thread: New S got its first software update since purchase and still no Low regen option.

I still find this fork very strange, because after seeing this, I just checked my model 3 (which for reference is a 2018 model year version).

I still have low regen available, and am on one of the latest firmware versions that is not the FSD trial:

Model 3 regen low.jpg
Model 3 Software version.jpg

Last edited:
My performance 3 does not anymore, just two options instead of three, and no LOW.

im not sure what options you are talking about here. My car, since delivery, has only had "standard" or "low" as regen options, so I dont know what three options you are talking about. Could you post a screenshot similar to mine I posted above?

Should have said HiGH is gone. I had Low, Standard, and High, and now High is gone. sorry.

Thats very interesting, because I have never had a "high" option for regen, since my car was delivered in december of 2018, and I have a performance model 3 as well, so we have the same car model.

Na, Hold, but I will double check the misses didn't change anything. I read, colder weather can have an impact, so maybe that. Anywho, I need to use my brake more than before. Maybe it's the weather, the charge state, or a software update.

Na, Hold, but I will double check the misses didn't change anything. I read, colder weather can have an impact, so maybe that. Anywho, I need to use my brake more than before. Maybe it's the weather, the charge state, or a software update.

If this is your first winter with your model 3 (which I am guessing from your join date here of March of 2020) then you may be experiencing lack of regen due to "winter". Quotes around "winter" because we in southern california dont have winter like other places do, so many people think "we dont get cold out here like other places, so my battery isnt cold" which isnt the case.

The battery gets cold out here as well, even if you park in a fully drywalled garage with insulated garage doors that never gets below 50 degrees (like I do). I still have more regen dots during winter than during spring / summer / fall, and thus regen works "worse" and doesnt brake the car as much.

In any case thanks for following up. There is already some strange stuff in this thread, like what appears to be forking features between models (@Az_Rael doesnt have low regen in his model S and is very familiar with tesla products etc so I dont think this is a case of mistaking it).

I hope it doesnt go away on the 3. My wife drives my model 3P infrequently, but her profile is setup with low regen, and on chill mode (and creep) to simulate her ICE X3 as much as possible. She says my car is too "scary fast" and she doesnt like the feeling of regen braking. She would if she got used to it, but I only drive her X3 when I need more space for something (I love my car too much) and shes scared of my car because its "too fast" even though she has the M40 version of the X3 that she drives in sport mode all the time (lol).

My July 2019 P3D-, stealth performance, has always had only standard and low regen, still does. No changes. My options screen is the same as posted above, including track mode. I will say that regen in recent months seems a bit less strong, and not weather or charge related. Not my first winter rodeo. That or my imagination, close call. Either way, it is what it is.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
With a RWD SR+, I have a "snow mode" profile saved with regen set to low. If the car were AWD, I probably wouldn't change it, but having the stopping force in the rear vs the front did not feel great the first few times, I hit a slick spot and instinctively raised my foot fully off the accelerator.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker