Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla removes regenerative braking strength option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why remove regen options from 2021 cars? What's the logic? Without a transmission, you need at least 2 options, to be able to 'engine brake', or 'free-wheel'. For former saves brakes on steep downhill roads, and recharges the battery pack. The latter enhances range. Looks like Tesla went into cost-cutting mode big time, not only with this, but removing chrome trim.
How does it enhance range? Just apply light pressure to the accelerator. The energy meter shows that almost no energy is being used or that you are storing some energy and the car continues to coast forward. It is equivalent to letting the car coast in an ICE car. Let go of the accelerator completely and you get heavy regen and the car slows down fast.

Sales told me they removed it a "month or so ago". Makes no sense to me. Suppose I always want to use it to even out the transition back and forth to the way an ICE vehicle works. At the same time I find out that there's no "low", I also find out that regenerative braking doesn't get you much charging anyway. I'm supposed to worry about a couple extra miles of range when I'm faced with a potentially more serious issue.
I'm not sure how much range regen braking adds. I do know that it will save your brakes. I hardly use the brake pedal with regen braking. Only took a couple days to get used to it and to figure out when to release the accelerator and by how much to get the car to slowly come to a stop before the light.

@ym1973, regen adds range by recharging the batteries when it slows the car down.

you misunderstood the situation. someone was suggesting that "low regen" setting was needed to increase range by coasting more. ym1973 (and many others) have responded saying this is pretty easy to modulate with the accelerator pedal.

In actuality, the low-regen setting is not that great at coasting like an ICE car; it slows the car down much faster. So if you really want to coast, modulate the accelerator pedal. It really isn't that hard. People are just stubborn about changing from their old ways.

You can get better range by NOT using regen or brakes so much.

EDIT: Since some people decided to disagree since they may not understand physics, let me rephrase and expand my above original comment

Brakes < Regen < Coasting

From a strictly technical standpoint, if you coast to a stop, this is the most efficient. Also, coasting down a hill and burning off the gained speed(from gravity) going back up the next incline, this is also the most efficient. From an energy efficiency standpoint using regen is ALWAYS worse than just coasting, and using brakes is ALWAYS the worst option.

Regen is a great thing for the final few feet(could be a hundred-ish) when coming to a stop. It is also great for sudden slowdowns due to traffic conditions. Maximizing your coasting is best.
I love the regen braking; however, when I first leave hone I see message regen not working. After a short distance it does. Anyone with this issue?

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I'll miss this. When I see something strange near the road, I move my right foot to the brake pedal. I do this to be able to brake faster if it turns out the strange thing is a moose or something. That doesn't mean I want to decelerate with max regen.

I guess I could start driving like an American (left foot on the brake), but then I'll be handicapped when I use a stick shift.
This American drove that way. I’ve adjusted.

I love the regen braking; however, when I first leave hone I see message regen not working. After a short distance it does. Anyone with this issue?
When do you charge your car? If you schedule it to finish charging about the time you leave in the morning, then the battery should be warmed up and you should have regen available or the time with limited regen should be shorter.

This actually isn't an "issue." :)

I really hate to be one of those guys that says "read the manual," but... ;)

This is normal operation of the car, and is explained in detail in the manual if you wanna have a look-see. :D

I hate manuals as much as anyone else, but in this case, it's worth making an exception and reading it start to finish.

Reactions: jjrandorin
As some newbs I'm sure we'd adjust as people say - but the car was slamming the brakes when my wife let off on the interstate today during our test drive. I'm sure the other drivers were getting confused / upset at us. Its a greater risk of getting rear ended too if the driver is not used to it.

As some newbs I'm sure we'd adjust as people say - but the car was slamming the brakes when my wife let off on the interstate today during our test drive. I'm sure the other drivers were getting confused / upset at us. Its a greater risk of getting rear ended too if the driver is not used to it.

Thats because a lot of people drive by pulsing the accelerator pedal (and dont realize it). It didnt slam on the brakes though, regen is not that violent under any circumstances. It does decelerate very quickly but there is no "slamming on" anything when there is regen braking.

How long it takes to get used to depends on if one has ever driven anything with a manual transmission before, at least thats my opinion. Its about as "violent" as downshifting a manual transmission. If someone has experience with that, in general, they adjust pretty quickly. If they dont, especially if they are someone who drives "pulsing" the accelerator pedal, it will take longer to adjust.

I know my parents would complain or give me some snarky comment about my driving if I let go of the accelerator fully. :)

I'll admit it did take me a couple rides to smooth out the accelerator, and after 3 weeks or so I'm at a point where I can adapt and smooth out the regen pretty easily, even in circumstances where I don't have 100% regen.

Situation's even more tricky for me since I also drive my girlfriend's ICE car from time to time.

I'm not sure how much range regen braking adds. I do know that it will save your brakes. I hardly use the brake pedal with regen braking. Only took a couple days to get used to it and to figure out when to release the accelerator and by how much to get the car to slowly come to a stop before the light.
Since owning my car, my Scan My Tesla app is showing me I've regen back 40% of the energy consumed. This is quite significant in increasing range. Let's say you drive 1000 miles/ month and average 3.5 miles/ kWh, or 285 wh/mi. That's 285 kWh of energy used. With 40% regen, you're gaining back 114 kWh, or 400 miles of additional range.

If you're driving correctly, you should never need to touch the brakes... with the only exception if you chose 'creep'. But just like no-regen, there should be no 'creep', so people get used to proper throttle control, like you absolutely need to if you ride a motorcycle, and/or drive a manual car (I do both). My wife initially complained about the lack of regen, but got used to both regen and 'hold' in about a week, and she's acceptably smooth now. She's just getting the hang to decelerate proportionately, rather than too soon, needing to creep like 3 or more car lengths. Or too late, sometimes even having to touch the brakes. You can be literally drinking coffee all the time when I drive with her. Ha ha. Alone I'm more aggressive, but still super smooth. Consider it a challenge to be super smooth:p.

Reactions: Electroman

Remember you would be equally confused if, coming from a regen EV, you drove a ICE automatic for the first time. ("I took my foot off the accelerator and the car didn't slow down at all, very dangerous!"). It's different, and does take a day to get used to.

Its hard to say if we'd get used to it, test drive only lasted 30 minutes. I know we didn't like it and would prefer the toggle while we adapt, I'm glad the people who like it got to keep their preferred setting. Too much money on a maybe makes me uncomfortable. Does the model X still have the option? I'd prefer to have it to the point of even going for last years model Y.

Its hard to say if we'd get used to it, test drive only lasted 30 minutes. I know we didn't like it and would prefer the toggle while we adapt, I'm glad the people who like it got to keep their preferred setting. Too much money on a maybe makes me uncomfortable. Does the model X still have the option? I'd prefer to have it to the point of even going for last years model Y.

Humans adapt pretty darn quickly. It wouldnt take you very long to get used to it. In fact, You would probably adapt in a day or two, much less if you ever drove a manual transmission anything (car, motorcycle, etc), anything where you had to shift gears and had engine braking.

You would adapt, because the feeling of deceleration if you take your foot completely off the accelerator would be enough to feel like you were learning to drive a stickshift vehicle. With that being said, a 30 minute test drive is not long enough to adapt.

My wife almost never drives my car, and drives by "pulsing" the accelerator as I mentioned. Also as I mentioned, a lot of people dont realize they do this, but the first time they drive a stick (or a car with regen braking like tesla or any other EV that has it) they will quickly realize that they "puuusshhhh" on the accelerator, then take their foot completely off to cost, then "puuuushhhh" then completely off, repeatedly.

Next time you get in your regular car, pay attention and see if you or your significant other drive like that.

Agreed, I started pulse driving when I got my automatic Charger 392 and didn't notice until my wife said something....she hated it, but it got great gas mileage doing that lol.

I refuse to use one pedal driving, the wife and I have it set to creep. I have gotten good with the regen, it's nice to get to almost stop and use the brake for the rest. I love not having dusty rims lol. The reason we use is creep is we still might drive ICE cars from time to time and muscle memory with driving is crucial in split second emergency situations.