Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLA removes the term Autopilot in China

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read on CNN.com about a guy in China who crashed his Tesla using autopilot so Tesla has removed the word Autopilot from their marketing materials in the China market and replaced it with "assisted driving". It seems to me that would make sense to do that in all markets giving the issue with customers crashing while depending too much on the autopilot system. Maybe this kind of name change would help more customers realize they must heed the advice of the owners manual and keep their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road at ALL times.

I think they've taken out references to "self-driving" on Tesla's China website, not 'Autopilot'.

IMO, it doesn't really matter what it's called. There just needs to be more driver education aimed at the buyers and users of this sort of technology.

I think they've taken out references to "self-driving" on Tesla's China website, not 'Autopilot'.

IMO, it doesn't really matter what it's called. There just needs to be more driver education aimed at the buyers and users of this sort of technology.

This was the story from CNN:
Tesla Removes 'Autopilot' From China Website After Beijing Crash
by REUTERS

Tesla removed the word "autopilot" and a Chinese term for "self-driving" from its China website after a driver in Beijing who crashed in "autopilot" mode complained that the car maker overplayed the function's capability and misled buyers.

Maybe CNN should check their facts. Doesn't take more than a few seconds...

1zp74aq.jpg

Last edited:
Yep. Several words and abbreviations seem to have been left in English

Autopilot
Model S
Performance
NEDC
ABS
EPB
WiFi 3G
LATCH
AM FM
HEPA
LED

Clearly Tesla are trying to overplay the function of a LATCH.

Only a matter of time before a third row child seat starts flying about. ;)

TSLA News: Tesla Motors Inc Deletes & Restores ‘Autopilot’ on Chinese Website
The changes followed a wreck in the country
Aug 15, 2016, 12:49 pm EDT | By William White, InvestorPlace Writer
Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) removed the term “Autopilot” from its Chinese website on Sunday, but then added it back again on Monday.

Source: Tesla
According to Tesla, the company was updating its translations for the website when the term was removed. However, it claims this was a mistake and restored it. The new term “zidong fuzhu jiashi” was also added after the phrase was restored. This translates to “automatic-assist driving.”

The removal of Autopilot from its Chinese website and addition of a new term when it was restored comes after a Tesla Model S crash in the country. The owner of the Model S was using the Autopilot feature when he hit a car parked by the side of the road. He blames TSLA for overstating the feature.

Tesla said the owner of the Model S didn’t have his hands on the wheel when the wreck occurred. It also refused to comment on how the mistake resulted in the term autopilot being removed from its Chinese website, reports The Washington Post.