Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Removing Features...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apart from the possibility of them closing the account due to inactivity, most cards have an annual fee

No, they don't.

Take Chase for example:

Free personal credit cards:
Freedom
Freedom Unlimited
Slate

Fee'd personal credit cards:

CSP
CSR

or BoA:

Free:
BoA Cash
BoA Travel

Fee:

BoA Premium Rewards

I'm sure you can find some bank that has more fee'd credit cards than free ones....but then you have issuers like Discover where NO cards have annual fees.... so I'd certainly say "most" cards are free, not fee'd

You are assuming that Tesla gives a rats ass about their customer service perception. They clearly don't, so this type of BS will not change.

Or, this is a mistake from someone who switched the feature off, thinking it was an internal purchase and not a private one ?

I do know you’re a “glass half hate“ Tesla kind of guy (who likes company) though, so I was wondering when you’d show up on this thread. :)

Reactions: X Fan
I just hope that all of these issues are results of a one-time cleanup and that Tesla is keeping better records going forward. (It seems like they did the cleanup around the end of 2019.)

If that's what it was, they missed my car. I was erroneously given EAP and purchased the FSD for $4000 in April when the price dropped in my account. I never lost EAP features, and now have a paid invoice for FSD.

Not complaining, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were still doing this.

Here's the follow-up.

Situation is now resolved and EAP has been restored.

The new owner of the vehicle received a text from Tesla on Friday saying that it has been reactivated. I did end up getting the statement from Discover and sent this in to Tesla on Thursday afternoon. I didn't receive a receipt for the FSD activation originally due to it being paid for right after switching the account over to my "Ex." This situation has put a bad taste in my mouth and I still wonder what would've happened if the new owner didn't have access to me and I reach out to Tesla with proof.

Tesla really need to up their game. These kind of stories is the reason why I haven't ordered FSD yet. I am too scared that they will just take it away from me or a future owner because it is difficult for me to prove.
My dad got FSD but never received a text, receipt or anything. I am really scared that when he need his "free" hardware 3 upgrade that they will just say he never purchased it.

it is ridiculous that the buyer has to provide proof of purchase on a product that is impossible to steal.
Tesla should compensate the owner for the period of time EAP was taken away at the monthly subscription rate when the subscription becomes available.

it is ridiculous that the buyer has to provide proof of purchase on a product that is impossible to steal.
Tesla should compensate the owner for the period of time EAP was taken away at the monthly subscription rate when the subscription becomes available.
We have no idea how long EAP was disabled, his wife doesn't drive the vehicle very often.

As I stated before, I thought the previous threads about them removing features was a hoax, but now I see that it certainly happens. I have no qualms if they do it once it's traded in to them (although I think its still unethical), but private party transfers should include all of the original features paid for by the first owner.

I have no qualms if they do it once it's traded in to them (although I think its still unethical)

Why do you think that is unethical? At that point Tesla has paid the original owner for the car, and feature, so I think that they can remove it if they want. Which obviously reduces the value of the vehicle, giving the new owner the choice of paying for the feature or not.

I do wonder if someone trades a Model 3 in that has no AP features, does Tesla enable the basic AP that is now standard or do they sell it with nothing enabled?

Reactions: SlimJim
I'd swear I read somewhere a few months back that Tesla removes special features if the car is sold because the original owner paid for it not the new owner. I may be mistaken, and I don't agree with it if it's true. If it were, then when the seller buys another Tesla or a new one then the feature should be grandfathered to the new one...?

I'd swear I read somewhere a few months back that Tesla removes special features if the car is sold because the original owner paid for it not the new owner. I may be mistaken, and I don't agree with it if it's true. If it were, then when the seller buys another Tesla or a new one then the feature should be grandfathered to the new one...?
When I buy a new iPhone, I can still use all the apps that I had purchased for the old phone... it makes sense.
And the buyer of my old iPhone cannot use the Apps I had purchased after the phone is reset.

When I buy a new iPhone, I can still use all the apps that I had purchased for the old phone... it makes sense.
And the buyer of my old iPhone cannot use the Apps I had purchased after the phone is reset.
Hopefully you're not taking the "a Tesla is like driving an iPad" too literally here? That'd be pretty silly.

Oh wait, it is SlimJim.....and my hope is crushed. ;)

No, EAP and FSD is a purchase linked to the VIN and stays with the VIN. The Free Supercharging though is different and although it was initially linked to the VIN Tesla changed that policy for newer sales in that it was then linked to the purchase itself, and thus the original purchaser. All the vehicle purchases prior to that policy change retain the Free Supercharging linked to the VIN, while the newer ones are not transferable. That's why it is important when you're purchasing a used Tesla that you establish if it is Free Lifetime Supercharging linked to the vehicle or rather than to the purchaser (and thus you can't still use it with the vehicle after ownership transfers).

Hopefully you're not taking the "a Tesla is like driving an iPad" too literally here? That'd be pretty silly.

Oh wait, it is SlimJim.....and with that all hope of sanity is crushed. ;)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike and Tron 3
Or, this is a mistake from someone who switched the feature off, thinking it was an internal purchase and not a private one ?

I do know you’re a “glass half hate“ Tesla kind of guy (who likes company) though, so I was wondering when you’d show up on this thread. :)

Turns out, this was an error after all. ..
Obviously it shouldn’t have happened, but it was corrected.

The drama, and immediate attack mode so many take here, should be dialled back a bit.

If I threw myself into drama, and attack mode every time Rogers, Telus, or Bell messed up my Bill, I would be doing that at least once or twice a quarter. ).