Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla remove FSD from third-party dealers

Does Tesla have the legal right do remove FSD from cars sold by third-party dealers?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't want to hijack the thread out there right now where a potential owner asked if Tesla can remove FSD from cars sold by third-party dealers. So I thought I'd start another conversation here.

Does Tesla have the legal right to remove something from an automobile after it's been sold? The manufacturer doesn't own the vehicle after it's sold and doesn't have the right to "recall/remove/repossess/call-it-what-you-want" anything in that vehicle; be it hardware or software because it's doesn't belong to them anymore. That is, pure and simple, stealing.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. This practice really troubles me. First FSD sofware, then what? In essence, Tesla could come back and take away ANY functionality and or feature without notice. And, if they can do that, who's to say you don't drop your car in for service one day and it comes out missing something under the same pretense they use right now to remove FSD.

I'm surprised there's not a class action suit for this already.

Jose

First we have to establish whether they've done that as I haven't seen any evidence of that.

My understanding is they removed FSD from cars being auctioned which is okay as long as they've clearly indicated that the vehicle does not have FSD before being auctioned.

The lack of clarity on whether FSD was on the vehicle is really at the core of the issue.

There needs to be some way to indicate what SW features are on a car that will remain attached to the vehicle.

Does the car have FSD?
Does the car have Acceleration Boost?
Does the car have free supercharging for life? Or the free supercharging for the ownership of only the first person who owned it?

The lack of clarity makes it difficult for a buyer to buy from a third party dealer as they currently don't know what will get pulled.

First we have to establish whether they've done that as I haven't seen any evidence of that.

My understanding is they removed FSD from cars being auctioned which is okay as long as they've clearly indicated that the vehicle does not have FSD before being auctioned.

The lack of clarity on whether FSD was on the vehicle is really at the core of the issue.

There needs to be some way to indicate what SW features are on a car that will remain attached to the vehicle.

Does the car have FSD?
Does the car have Acceleration Boost?
Does the car have free supercharging for life? Or the free supercharging for the ownership of only the first person who owned it?

The lack of clarity makes it difficult for a buyer to buy from a third party dealer as they currently don't know what will get pulled.
There is plenty of evidence to indicate Tesla removes FSD from vehicles sold by 3rd party dealers.

The policy is, if it is not a person to person private sale, FSD is removed. It’s a disgusting practice.

There is plenty of evidence to indicate Tesla removes FSD from vehicles sold by 3rd party dealers.

The policy is, if it is not a person to person private sale, FSD is removed. It’s a disgusting practice.

People always say there is plenty of evidence, but I see the same handful of examples being reposted time and time again.

While my scenario wasn't FSD, Tesla removed EAP from a car I sold to a private individual. I was absolutely perplexed and thought it was a joke when the person I sold it to contacted me about it. Tesla absolutely refused to restore it at first and it wasn't until I called my credit card company and asked for a statement to present to Tesla, that's when they restored it. He hadn't had a service visit or anything, they removed it remotely. When he initially called Tesla, they told him it was never paid for. Somehow they ended up blaming it on the system since I didn't purchase EAP initially.

This and a few other mishaps have me seriously reconsidering whether I'll ever support them again.

...Does Tesla have the legal right to remove something from an automobile after it's been sold? The manufacturer doesn't own the vehicle after it's sold and doesn't have the right to "recall/remove/repossess/call-it-what-you-want" anything in that vehicle; be it hardware or software because it's doesn't belong to them anymore. That is, pure and simple, stealing...

The key issue is: Tesla has not been adhering to the repossession law.

Tesla has a legal right to repossess anything it claims it still owns but it needs to follow the law.

It just unilaterally takes software-enabled features without going to court, without getting a warrant, without the blessings of a jury or the law.

It acts like it's the law.

It's just like can an executioner have the legal right to execute someone? Yes, as long as the court has agreed and no if it's extrajudicial.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Two anecdotes are not what I would consider "plenty of evidence" and yes, I do doubt it, because I was told similar stories about supercharging not transferring.
Well…feel free to use the forum “search” function. You’ll find far more than two examples. Or you can keep burying your head in the sand and ignoring the facts.

Why don’t you do a real quick forum search?

Well…feel free to use the forum “search” function. You’ll find far more than two examples. Or you can keep burying your head in the sand and ignoring the facts.

In a discussion, when making a claim, the onus is on you to provide supporting evidence.

If it happened to a few people, it's happening to everybody. Right?
It doesn’t even sound like you understand what this discussion is about. Here are the cliff’s notes:

Tesla is, for a fact, removing FSD from all used vehicles that go through 3rd party dealers or back through Tesla themselves.

The only way FSD transfer with the vehicle is during a private party sale. Feel free to post any evidence to the contrary.