Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla removing some automatic window features to comply with NHTSA regulations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I think the most annoying change is now having to press the brake pedal in order to open or close the window.

Hmmm, for the first time since getting my Tesla I find myself not wanting to update the software. Several of those feature are ones I use.
Agreed. Would be nice if the feature was allowed after acknowledging several times if needed, that the owner understands the risk and accepts responsibility of not allowing the change to be made. But it's a government mandate and the government knows best. :rolleyes:

I think the most annoying change is now having to press the brake pedal in order to open or close the window.

That sounds like a "no way that actually happens" level change.
Just to be clear - they're saying you must press the brake to "start" the car before the window switches will work. You don't have to press the brake every time you use the window controls, just once when you start the car.

Not saying I like it - but the line in the article about this was sort of misleading. The quoted message in the screenshot in the article is more clear about it.

Reactions: ArtK

It's a mandate change by NHTSA. I wouldn't be surprised if they push this update over LTE.

I read the part of the NHTSA documents that were quoted in that article, and the quoted rules don't mention that hitting the brake pedal is required.

Just to be clear - they're saying you must press the brake to "start" the car before the window switches will work. You don't have to press the brake every time you use the window controls, just once when you start the car.

Not saying I like it - but the line in the article about this was sort of misleading. The quoted message in the screenshot in the article is more clear about it.

Hah, okay, that makes way more sense. I also tried to read through the guideline for what the OP was saying and didn't see it, but laughed at the idea that they'd have folks tapping the brake cruising down a highway for a bit of fresh air.

Kinda funny, I took mine off the advanced update and within a few hours had the notification to update to 2022.44.25.3 from 2022.44.25.1

Ok I went ahead did that update since I know that does not take away the features above, but that will probably be my last one for a while.

Hah, okay, that makes way more sense. I also tried to read through the guideline for what the OP was saying and didn't see it, but laughed at the idea that they'd have folks tapping the brake cruising down a highway for a bit of fresh air.
"While these are convenience features perhaps the most frustrating part of this action is that owners will no longer be able to open or close their windows until you have pressed the brake pedal."

It sounds like the brake pedal needs to be pressed at the same the the windows move up/down. In the drive thru at the speaker? Push the break to open the window. Cruising down the road at 45 mph and want to open the window? Looks like you'll have to brake while opening it.

I don't see how that's not a safety hazard.

It sounds like the brake pedal needs to be pressed at the same the the windows move up/down. In the drive thru at the speaker? Push the break to open the window. Cruising down the road at 45 mph and want to open the window? Looks like you'll have to brake while opening it.
It's not how I understood it. NHTSA requires driver to start the vehicle or put it in accessory mode before operating windows. Tesla doesn't have start button so instead you need to press the brakes. Then driver can operate windows as many time as he needs without pressing the brakes again until he exits the vehicle.

Does this affect Car Wash Mode window closing?

And re: the VW question: doubtful that it has any impact at all. The problem is Tesla does not meet the obstruction sensing auto stop regulations, and several updates to try to fix it have failed to address the issues.

VW meets (apparently) regulations, so they can continue to use all kinds of automated window closing.

"While these are convenience features perhaps the most frustrating part of this action is that owners will no longer be able to open or close their windows until you have pressed the brake pedal."

I don't see how that's not a safety hazard.

There is just no way that is actually how it's going to work, sounds like the article misunderstood something and the earlier poster was right in simply saying you'll need to be present as a driver (and hitting the brake pedal initially to say as much) is now required for operating the windows. Neither NHTSA nor Tesla would be on board with it as written in that article, because yeah, that is clearly way more unsafe and not how any vehicle on the road operates today.

The changes are all about removing automatic or remote usage of the windows, which while unfortunate for us at least I can sort of understand how it can be a safety hazard in specific conditions.

I read the part of the NHTSA documents that were quoted in that article, and the quoted rules don't mention that hitting the brake pedal is required.
The regulations do seem to lag the current state of keyless vehicles.

This seems to be the key section:
Operating requirements. Except as provided in S5, power operated window, partition, or roof panel systems may be closed only in the following circumstances:

(a) When the key that controls activation of the vehicle's engine is in the “ON”, “START”, or “ACCESSORY” position;
... however, pressing the brake in a Tesla is what activates the "ON" condition (ready to drive). The "ACCESSORY" position equivalent is reached merely by opening a door, or closing the door with weight on a seat.

From how I read it, the brake pedal push is not necessary. That seems to be a misinterpretation and misapplication of the rules.

Does this affect Car Wash Mode window closing?

And re: the VW question: doubtful that it has any impact at all. The problem is Tesla does not meet the obstruction sensing auto stop regulations, and several updates to try to fix it have failed to address the issues.

VW meets (apparently) regulations, so they can continue to use all kinds of automated window closing.
Tesla meets all current regulation. NHTSA used to allow to close windows with pressure monitoring sensors but they want more protections now. It will apply to all manufactures, not just Tesla.

1673116554223.png

Tesla meets all current regulation. NHTSA used to allow to close windows with pressure monitoring sensors but they want more protections now. It will apply to all manufactures, not just Tesla.

View attachment 893380
That's interesting. Seems to still allow remote closing and auto rain closing as long as you are within 6m of the car.

In the past, your car only needs to meet the regulations in place on the day it was manufactured.

Does that still apply? Is Tesla creating a grey area where new features added by OTA updates change the compliance date?

That could kinda suck, for some features, like auto windows. I guess ostensibly it could also make us all safer, in some cases.

IDK, I am really over OTA updates. I want to lock in a build and opt out of all future updates, the bugs and feature deletes are infuriating.

Reactions: Stew-2
How new are these regulations? If my model 3 met regulations at the time I purchased it it doesn’t seem like it should have to continually meet subsequent rules.

I can see how this would be a software version headache for Tesla but old cars weren’t required to install seat belts to meet newer regulation, as an extreme example.

Reactions: Big Earl and OxBrew
I just disconnected from my wifi, we’ll see if it is is forced over LTE eventually.

I’m not going to voluntarily give up auto rolling up windows on walk away lock or remote venting/closing.

This is the first car I've had that updates like a smart phone, I’ll survive just fine without any further updates for a long while. The feature set in 2022.44.25.3 which is the version I’m on works just fine.

Reactions: OxBrew