Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla removing some automatic window features to comply with NHTSA regulations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla meets all current regulation. NHTSA used to allow to close windows with pressure monitoring sensors but they want more protections now. It will apply to all manufactures, not just Tesla.

I don't see this that way. Tesla had the recall a couple of months ago because the pressure monitoring did not meet requirements. They have tried to address this in software, and apparently have not been successful, and as a result have to fall back the the requirement of windows closing when a driver is present (what I think S4a is about).

I don't see this that way. Tesla had the recall a couple of months ago because the pressure monitoring did not meet requirements. They have tried to address this in software, and apparently have not been successful, and as a result have to fall back the the requirement of windows closing when a driver is present (what I think S4a is about).
That's what Teslascope said when they announced this new regulation:
1673125712975.png

I just disconnected from my wifi, we’ll see if it is is forced over LTE eventually.

I’m not going to voluntarily give up auto rolling up windows on walk away lock or remote venting/closing.

This is the first car I've had that updates like a smart phone, I’ll survive just fine without any further updates for a long while. The feature set in 2022.44.25.3 which is the version I’m on works just fine.
Good luck if you ever need warranty work performed.

Wow I stand corrected, looks like the most a person can do is not have advanced enabled for software updates if they want to remain warranty compliant.

From the warranty:
You may void this New Vehicle Limited Warranty if you do not follow the specific instructions and recommendations regarding the use and operation of the vehicle provided in your owner documentation, including, but not limited to:
• Installing the vehicle's software updates after notification that there is an update available;
• Complying with any recall advisories;

I just disconnected from my wifi, we’ll see if it is is forced over LTE eventually.

I’m not going to voluntarily give up auto rolling up windows on walk away lock or remote venting/closing.

This is the first car I've had that updates like a smart phone, I’ll survive just fine without any further updates for a long while. The feature set in 2022.44.25.3 which is the version I’m on works just fine.
I haven't updated in over a year (still on v10). Just don't schedule an install and you'll be fine

The part about not being able to manually control the windows until the driver has pressed the break pedal is the most baffling and enraging to me. What the hell is the point of that??? Surely the person sitting in the car should be qualified to open and close the window regardless if there is a driver there on not.

The part about not being able to manually control the windows until the driver has pressed the break pedal is the most baffling and enraging to me. What the hell is the point of that??? Surely the person sitting in the car should be qualified to open and close the window regardless if there is a driver there on not.
Think about it like a car with a key to start, or a start button: windows don't work for anyone unless the key is turned to acc or the start button pressed.

There needs to be a positive action that tells the car that there is a driver monitoring and responsible for it. Just unlocking the doors is not enough.

Think about it like a car with a key to start, or a start button: windows don't work for anyone unless the key is turned to acc or the start button pressed.

There needs to be a positive action that tells the car that there is a driver monitoring and responsible for it. Just unlocking the doors is not enough.
Really starting to miss hand crank windows. Now way for those to be disabled from some over-the-air update.

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
Really starting to miss hand crank windows. Now way for those to be disabled from some over-the-air update.
Hand cranks meet regulations, because the user is activating it manually.

I'd love new hand crank windows, I still have several cars with them, and it's fun leaning over and opening all the other windows. I can reach all 4 in my 65 Volvo Amazon from the driver's seat (no headrests to get in the way).

Hand cranks meet regulations, because the user is activating it manually.

I'd love new hand crank windows, I still have several cars with them, and it's fun leaning over and opening all the other windows. I can reach all 4 in my 65 Volvo Amazon from the driver's seat (no headrests to get in the way).
Ah man, we had an old beat up Amazon as our family car when I was a kid in the early 80's. Loved that thing. I have thought about EV swapping one.

Ah man, we had an old beat up Amazon as our family car when I was a kid in the early 80's. Loved that thing. I have thought about EV swapping one.
Someone's got a really sweet conversion going. Making period looking gauges and indicators to hide all the controls. On instagram somewhere.

edit: Shoot, looked it up, and it caught on fire. Was a beautiful project.

Last edited:
Someone's got a really sweet conversion going. Making period looking gauges and indicators to hide all the controls. On instagram somewhere.

edit: Shoot, looked it up, and it caught on fire. Was a beautiful project.

Very nice conversion, but too bad about the fire. Hope he gets it rebuilt!

Does VW need to do the same?
My '19 eGolf would close the windows/roof if rain was picked up by the rain sensor - ya know, smart like.
yeah they will unless the car meets the auto-reverse spec. The logic is that the car could injure (or worse) someone if the window caught a body part, and the spec specifies that to go up automatically they must have auto-reverse sensing with a maximum force allowed. So this feature could reappear in the future, but will probably need new hardware.

I was trying to roll down my windows while sitting in the garage this past weekend and couldn’t. I thought the car had yet another issue (it’s been in the shop a few times lately due to half shaft and front drive unit) I am actually sad it’s not an issue with the car and now a safety feature. I’m probably over reacting, I didn’t press the brake as I wasn’t going anywhere glad that’s all that’s needed.

I still have close windows on walk away lock. One of my favorite features that I use almost every drive. I thought this was already taken away. I know a lot of newer cars don’t have the option. Is it possible it will remain functional for some?

I still have close windows on walk away lock. One of my favorite features that I use almost every drive. I thought this was already taken away. I know a lot of newer cars don’t have the option. Is it possible it will remain functional for some?
What software version are you on? I'm on 2022.44.25.3 and I still have it. I think the statement in the OP is about a future update? Kind of unclear, I'd think by now the feature would be turned off if our cars didn't meet the regs, since they shipped new cars without it in Sept/Oct sometime.

There was supposedly a recall that fixed it for 1.1 M cars around that time too, maybe the fix corrected the sensitivity and we're good?

Last edited: