Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla reneges on trade in value long before 30 expiration or 1000 miles - just before delivery.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
A new low for Tesla…

My wife orders a MY on Earth Day (our 4th Telsa over the years). After submitting trade information and all the pictures Telsa requires, we recieve and accept the formal offer in the app (on 4/23) that is good for 30 days/1000 miles. Delivery was scheduled today, for 5/13 (well within the 30 trade offer window). Magically, the final mvpa trade value changes to a number $3000 less today, shows accepted by us in the app (we did not accept this change) and a new expiration 30 days from today was applied to the lower value.

No explanation, no email response from Tesla as of yet - and probably none until Monday. Very frustrating.

Thoughts on this?

I have a similar issue. I got a trade in estimate for my 2016 model x to purchase a new plaid. Got an email with a range that it could be plus the 5k incentive since my vehicle has unlimited supercharging. Trade in price was low but the 5k made up for it. When I go to order my new one a week later they say the 5k is no longer valid. It has been switched to 3 years of free supercharging! This is worthless to me. Very unfair that Tesla does not honor what they put down in writing. I could understand if it was over 30 days but not honoring something 7 days later is ridiculous. Needless to say I did not buy a new model x plaid and I would if they would honor what they put in writing.

A new low for Tesla…

My wife orders a MY on Earth Day (our 4th Telsa over the years). After submitting trade information and all the pictures Telsa requires, we recieve and accept the formal offer in the app (on 4/23) that is good for 30 days/1000 miles. Delivery was scheduled today, for 5/13 (well within the 30 trade offer window). Magically, the final mvpa trade value changes to a number $3000 less today, shows accepted by us in the app (we did not accept this change) and a new expiration 30 days from today was applied to the lower value.

No explanation, no email response from Tesla as of yet - and probably none until Monday. Very frustrating.

Thoughts on this?
Why bother offering an expiration date then?

That is bad.

I would think you could hold them to this:

“As your delivery date approaches, you will be asked to submit your trade-in details in your Tesla Account. Once submitted, we will provide a trade-in offer based on current market conditions. Trade-in offers are valid for 30 days or 1,000 miles, whichever comes first, and are contingent on the information you provide about the vehicle being accurate.”

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Sometimes they make adjustments based upon accident history.
I doubt that was it. It seems some others were screwed as well even before Tesla seeing the car. The best option for most money to be made is sell yourself. If you don’t want to deal with it, try to find a reseller like Carvana although they have slowed down taking used Teslas.

Reactions: jebinc