TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla rental... from Tesla (for owners)

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by pharma5, Sep 2, 2013.

1. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25

Apologies if this is an old idea... didn't spot it in a quick search.

Imagine a new perk for the Tesla ownership experience - potential access to the Tesla driving experience anywhere there is a service center / loaner available (for appropriate rental fee, of course, in this case).

Need to travel for business? Book a car in advance. Have a Roadster and want to take trip with more than one companion? Book a Model S locally. Have a Model S and wanna try out that cool little Roadster at the service center? Book it.

Cars would be drawn from the existing loaner fleet, would need to be booked in advance, and would be for owners only (i.e., people already insured on a comparable car with an existing relationship with TSLA).

While it's great that there are a few rental companies plus Getaround (peer-to-peer rental) that allow anyone to get into a Tesla in certain places, an expanding Tesla service network should have broad reach and potentially add a perk to the ownership experience... would also get more use for the loaners (not that that's a problem during the roll-out).

I am sure there are a lot of details to work out, but are there any takers on this idea?

2. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

I am completely unsure how it works, but I like the idea. I'd do it if cost was reasonable and (here's the kicker) it was pretty easy to get to the SC or gallery from the airport. Maybe new SCs are near airports...

3. Enadler

Enadler Member

Great idea but it is near impossible to get a loaner now when the car is in for service. If there is additional demand from owners traveling Tesla would never be able to have enough loaners. That being said I recently took a family vacation to LA and was not happy driving a rental ICE for a week.

4. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

I would use such a rental service.

I had some very disconcerting moments while driving my backup ICE when my Tesla was in the shop for a couple of days -- I kept forgetting things like turning the key or setting the parking brake, and the car kept "running away" when I took my foot off the accelerator, instead of slowing down the way it should...

I'm not sure it's safe for me to go back to driving ICE cars.

But if I take a trip to (for a non-random example) Minneapolis, I'm not going to drive there, but I'll need a rental car when I get there. Renting an ICE is sort of a horrifying thought now.

Of course, there are all kinds of legal hurdles related to renting cars. Due to the legal complications, it would make the most sense for Tesla to set up a operation renting Teslas in one city at a time -- starting with car-dependent cities which people are likely to travel to by means other than car. (LA and Denver come to mind.) Tesla seems to be a big fan of vertical and horizontal integration, so they might actually consider this.

5. texex91

texex91 Banned

I wish Silvercar would start using Tesla vehicles.

They are a service at Texas major airports (and SFO) that has an all Audi fleet (the entire fleet is the same).

http://www.silvercar.com

6. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25

Yes, definitely tough as they roll out service centers, get them equipped with loaners, and learn to load balance on usage for a growing customer base. But wouldn't it be cool if they made sure they not only had enough loaners, but actually had "extra"? Maybe in a year or two...:wink:

- - - Updated - - -

On the legal, I am reminded of the form I signed when I had a loaner - it was a simple one-pager saying:

(i) i have liability/prop damage insurance, TSLA does not provide insurance, my insurance provides coverage to the loaner
    (ii) i will return the car in the same condition (less ordinary wear and tear); i will not be negligent; i will not break the law or let others drive
    (iii) i am responsible for traffic violations etc and losses or damages from breach of the agreement during the loan period
    (iv) i acknowledge the receipt of the listed plug connectors

When i look at this, I'm not sure it needs to be more complicated, unless something is triggered by charging money (renting) a loaner (e.g., are there potential draconian car rental laws that resemble dealer franchise laws?:frown:).

After all, TSLA is not a car rental business per se, they are just offering a special perk for existing owners (with a fee, as with the battery swap perk).:wink:

7. NJ Plugin

NJ Plugin Member

There might be a problem with the titles of the cars if or when the car is sold to a new owner. When the "loaners" are sold now, I believe the new owners can still claim the federal tax credit. Not sure if that would change if Tesla started to make money from a "rental/loaner".

8. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25

A good point to check - anyone know for sure?

I've seen demo Roadsters sell as "new" with several thousand miles on the odo, but the buyer is still a first buyer with a similar (delayed) start to the warranty clock.

If that part is not workable, backup option would be to wait for CPO Model S's (like a few CPO Roadsters that are loaners) which are clearly "used" already. In that case, TSLA would have both (a) top-of-line "new" Model S's as loaners-only; (b) CPO Model S's and Roadsters that are backup loaners (to keep from running out) and are also available for "rental".:biggrin: