Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla rental in South island New zealand?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm travelling to Queenstown New zealand in early Nov this year. It seems that all the tesla rentals are available only in Auckland, north island? Would really love to try driving a tesla while i'm there.

Wondering what the reason might be?
You are wondering why no one has decided to offer Tesla rentals on the South Island?

If I were considering starting a business doing that, of if I was running a car rental company and was considering adding Teslas to my rental fleet on the South Island, a reason for not doing so would be that dealing with a service issue would take too long and I would not want to risk having unhappy customers when their car didn’t work and they were told that it could take days to fix it and in the meantime here’s an ICE car to replace it.

I’m not saying that Teslas are more prone to breakdowns than other cars. In fact I think they may be somewhat more reliable overall, but I can’t prove that (don’t have the data available to make that judgement). However, Teslas are not perfect. Things happen. In my years of owning an S, X, and 3, for a total of over 150K, I’ve never had a case of the car refusing to move (did have that happen twice with my Roadster). But the cars have had various issues requiring repair, from very minor to more significant. Which is why, as enthusiastic as I am about trying to convince people I know to buy Teslas, if someone does not live within a one or two hour drive from a Tesla Service Center, I do not recommend they buy a Tesla. Mobile Service can fix some things, but there are many things they cannot fix.

I hope there is a Tesla Service Center in Christchurch in the near future. But I suspect that is a few years off.

• Informative
Reactions: daveh_nz
I rented a Tesla with Snap Rentals in Auckland last year and the guy running the EV programme gave me a ride to the airport. He basically stated that they only reason they hadn’t started the South Island rentals was due to having all resources and vehicles committed to the rental side in Auckland including the partnership with Mercury Energy. He also said they had multiple orders for the Model 3 and would be starting in the South Island once they had a few extra vehicles.

Tesla says there is a Service Center due to open in Christchurch "by the end of 2019". Whether that turns out to be Tesla time remains to be seen :)
Reviving this thread as I just found out there is now a Tesla Service Center in Christchurch. Good news! When did that open?

And it is now possible to rent a Model 3 on the South Island through GoRentals so having service available is a real help.

Just picked up a hybrid in Christchurch for $60 a day compared to $300 a day for the Model 3. There were 3 waiting at the Go Rentals lot.

I would have loved to keep driving the Tesla during our trip here but the cost difference is just too much for the short trip we are doing.
That's a good deal.
When I was in-between cars as I sold my Audi A8L and Tesla was coming in 12 week instead of 3 weeks, I went for long term rental and got Toyota Corolla, recent hatch model... It had active steering control, adaptive cruise control, auto high beam headlights, and everything worked nicely... I had it for 2 months at $26/day, cheap as chips. before decided to just buy a petrol car as a get-ready-get-thru backup in future, when electric is out of charge or fried with geo storm.