Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Repair, a happy ending!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted a while back about my frustration with the inability of Tesla to get a solid working relationship or process in place for getting parts to repair shops. I know Elon said he will have his own body shops with "same day" turn around, but I'm not holding my breath. A lot of TMC members reached out to me and provided help and even got some help from Tesla.

I got my car back at day 28 (Today) from the repair shop. They were hoping to get it to me last Friday, but with the humidity in DC last week they wanted to make sure the paint was perfect. Note, that it was close SIX weeks before Tesla could get the parts to the body shop and even then there will still some parts missing and someone at the shop had to call in some favors from friends to get some small pieces.

The car is perfect after sustaining 14K worth of damages. Gap alignment is perfect, matches the rest of the car! The paint job is flawless and it was blended extremely well. I'm super pleased with Euro Pros Collision center in Gaithersburg, MD. They had such a bad experience with Tesla parts that they stopped servicing Tesla as their customers were getting upset with the long wait times and they got caught in the middle.

I was able to eventually able to get them to take my car in and I gladly paid the parts deposit and agreed to be a cool customer in terms of the potential wait time for the parts. That was easy for me as I had such a bad initial experience with another certified shop that there was NO WAY I was going to trust that other shop to do the work.

Euro Pros kept me in the loop the entire time for the parts process and while my car was being repaired. A huge thank you to Jesse who did the work and Tom who assisted Jesse in managing my expectations and always doing what was best to ensure a quality repair. I'm super thankful I was able to get them to fix my Tesla. If you ever find yourself in the DMV area with a busted up Tesla, I hope Tesla gets some processes in place to make it a better experience for the body shops and their customers. If you are MORE patient than MOST ppl and expect high-quality work on your Tesla find a way to get Euro to take your car and be cool with the wait time, it is worth it.

Thanks again Jesse and Tom, you have a customer for life, but don't take this the wrong way I hope I don't see you guys for a while! ;-)

I'll post before and after pics tomorrow!

Andy

drklain - what did you have done at chantilly auto body? I have a performance modified M3 and got hit today at Reston parked and I don't know what the reviews are about this place. Tesla swears they are the best as they bring their cars to them every day but the truck loads.

I just wanted to get some advice on they work on tesla and I am so mad about the accident. Not my fault but boy I will milk every penny as I just got the car on April 20 and spent already 12K into the car.

@Reaction26 - I was rear-ended at a stop-light May 4th. Other driver was at fault and his insurance is covering repairs. Initial repair estimate was the bumper cover, some parts around it (lower fascia) and behind the cover and replacing the hatchback on my model S (too badly damaged to repair). Most parts came in about 4 weeks, delay was for the hatchback. Now that the car is in the body shop, they will disassemble to start repairs and (hopefully) will not discover additional damage requiring more parts. I am told that (for rear end collisions) most cars have a block of crush-material (like Styrofoam) behind the bumper cover that almost always has to be replaced, but Teslas do not have that. Estimator said it is 50/50 as to if there is additional damage.

@Reaction26 - I was rear-ended at a stop-light May 4th. Other driver was at fault and his insurance is covering repairs. Initial repair estimate was the bumper cover, some parts around it (lower fascia) and behind the cover and replacing the hatchback on my model S (too badly damaged to repair). Most parts came in about 4 weeks, delay was for the hatchback. Now that the car is in the body shop, they will disassemble to start repairs and (hopefully) will not discover additional damage requiring more parts. I am told that (for rear end collisions) most cars have a block of crush-material (like Styrofoam) behind the bumper cover that almost always has to be replaced, but Teslas do not have that. Estimator said it is 50/50 as to if there is additional damage.
Ditto, same situation on may30; still waiting parts - truck that rear ended me had a front towing package... Do you have pics of yours?

What was the other shop you had a bad experience with? Mine went into Chantilly Auto Body today after waiting 8 weeks for parts from Tesla. I'm hoping they won't discover they need additional parts once they open the car up...

Mine was ServiceKing in Gaithersburg MD. I submitted all my info online, drove out there and the guy asked me all the same info I submitted online and then was like "I'll call you after I get the claim info from the insurance company and you can bring the car back for a quote.." I was like WTF, I gave you all that info...

Will have to dig up the pics. Doesn't look all that bad -- scratches/gouges and a hole in the bumper cover, crack in the black piece below the rear bumper and a dents/scratches damage to the rear of the hatch-back.

Got word today they finished disassembly. They found additional damage that will require some brackets from Tesla that they immediately ordered as well as additional paint work. Hopefully those brackets arrive quickly or the car may be in the shop for an extended period.

Had a collision yesterday in NYC. X5 tried to squeeze in and pulled my front-side panel. Will fix at home (DMV area). Live in DC.
Sounds like you, guys, are all happy with your respective car centers: Owings Mill, Chantilly, Euro Pros (Gaithersburg). And all had negative experience about delayed parts shipment. My work is near Chantilly so leaning toward that body shop. Still, I’m a bit biased for Tesla-run shop in Owings Mill. Is my bias unwarranted?
The other car had suspended registration and expired insurance- will update how it goes. Feel bad for my car Insurance.
Anyone had similar experience?

Attachments

• 77FE6F55-D4BB-4488-96B6-B6564098B872.jpeg
    77FE6F55-D4BB-4488-96B6-B6564098B872.jpeg
    357.3 KB · Views: 71