Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla repays department energy loan nine years early

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electric carmaker Tesla pays off U.S. loan - Yahoo! Finance

"When you're talking about cutting-edge clean energy technologies, not every investment will succeed -- but today's repayment is the latest indication that the Energy Department's portfolio of more than 30 loans is delivering big results for the American economy while costing far less than anticipated," U.S. Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz said in a separate statement.

As a Tesla fan this really makes me happy to see the company repay the debt. Now when someone asks why did the government give the company money to a company who will never repay.. i can say ... It was paid in full, with interest. Good day for sure..

Wow, this is now the #4 top trending story on Yahoo. I know it is big news around here but it seems a bit surprising to be trending that high, or at all. Maybe because Tesla was kicked around politically? Seems more business news then front page news, not complaining, just saying...

A question for all the financially talented types out there....
I was always led to believe that you normally never do something with equity that can be accomplished with debt. How does that apply hear (obviously it did not)?

They mostly issued preferred shares, which are basically a form of debt, not equity (they have no voting rights). It's complicated because they are convertible, which makes them a bit of a hybrid. However, they didn't do a straight secondary like in October, which was raising money purely with equity.

Stunning news.

This part of DOE's statement is particularly interesting. Puts things in perspective.

“More than 90 percent of loan loss reserve Congress established remains intact, while losses to date represent about 2 percent of the overall $34 billion portfolio. The other 98 percent of the portfolio includes 19 new clean energy power plants that are adding enough solar, wind and geothermal capacity to power a million homes and displace 7 million metric tons of carbon dioxide every year – roughly equal to taking a million cars off the road."