Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla repays department energy loan nine years early

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought Ford was the only company that did not get a loan from the gumment?

GM and Chrysler were allowed to declare bankruptcy, and the government(s, in the case of Chrysler) bought enough stock in the reboots to keep them and their suppliers alive. Ford took a loan in the billions of dollars to develop an electric car that most people don't know exists... but it kept them alive.

Ford took a loan in the billions of dollars to develop an electric car that most people don't know exists... but it kept them alive.

^This^ Ford received a 5.9 billion loan, Twelve times what Tesla did and we have no idea what they did with it. No need to get too political but ahhhh, this is okay? Palin? Romney? What the hell, Obama? Someone? Anyone?

I have to give Ford some real credit as they do have THREE PEV options: the Focus EV, and the C-Max and Fusion PHEVs. (And they had tried the Transit, although that was all outsourced and the contractor went bankrupt). They are nice looking cars, good handling, etc. And they are (theoretically) available nationwide, not just in ZEV states. That's all very good stuff.

That said, they are doing minimal engineering - just quick conversions to existing cars, selling in low volumes, which simultaneously keeps prices high (and/or profits low) and ensures a less-than-optimal product (witness trunk space and weight balance). They are doing WAY less advertising than they do for other vehicles because there is low demand - yes, that is their official reason. Most dealers don't stock the Focus, and will only stock one PHEV (with an add-on sticker) while stocking and doing deals on hybrids. Given the good things above, I don't think their goal is to sabotage this so they can later say they tried and nobody wanted them - but if that was their goal, this would be a good way to go about it.

(I think their real goal is to avoid making a mistake. They want to eventually be able to put any powertrain in any vehicle, so if one takes off they will be ready - but nobody ever gets in trouble for spending a lot of money on the wrong technology. They will be able to offer anything, but will always be a follower. Classic established brand management - as long as people want a Ford first and then pick a powertrain, they are in good shape. But if people change allegiance to a new brand because they have a better offering...well, they could get in trouble).

This is what we got for almost $6B? Even before the payback, the Tesla investment was clearly more productive. And Nissan's - they are moving a lot of BEVs and building them in the US now.

Even a blind chicken finds a corn eventually...

Much of the pioneering work on Computers – including breakthroughs in graphics and interaction (at M.I.T., a land-grant university), the Internet, the Global Positioning System (GPS), GM, Ford, Chrysler and Tesla. And I’m sure there’s more…

That looks like a pretty good seeing chicken to me! And like a s#!tload of corn! But by all means, I’m sure there are even better seeing chickens out there… All you have to do is find a way to put one of THEM in charge instead.